• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Mid-level Bookshelf shootout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
AEJim said:
BigH said:
Vladimir said:
199 at RS and 400 elsewhere. Perhaps that is 199 per box at RS.
Per box?

Its for a pair, I see its gone up, someone must have been reading this post.
I haven't said a word! *secret* I didn't even realise Richer still had any 3-Series to be honest, was only going round some of their stores last week and didn't see any!
Sorry I did not mean you, meant someone at Richers, suddenly saw more demand so wacked up the price, it was joke anyway.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
spiny norman said:
AEJim said:
Didn't see that so I'll remove it now. Not been here in a while.
Thanks for responding so promptly: there's been quite a bit of dodginess aound here of late.
But you must remember Jim?

He is not exactly a spammer is he. Are some of those not system generated, Ive typed in words somethimes and its done an auto link to the site?
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
AEJim said:
davedotco said:
Always good to hear from someone so closely involved.

Interesting about the treble roll off, my experience, mostly with the more expensive models, is that they can sound a little 'shut in', lacking 'air' if you will. That is with more modest amplification, drive them properly though and they open right up.

I had some clients with relatively early AE1s, it was very obvious on these.
Yeah there are a lot of variables with tuning, crossover frequencies and drive units that come into play in different ways - the original AE1's were quite "hot" in the mid treble around 8kHz or so and that's why they were often referred to as bright and revealing. The mkII version from the mid-nineties was actually far better balanced in that regard and a better speaker for it, just a touch less character and more neutral.

Most 2-way speakers using a 5-6"+ driver (especially metal cone) need to cross over fairly low (2.5kHz is usual) and benefit from a larger dome but can lack air at the very HF (12kHz+) because of it, a smaller dome would offer more air but struggle to crossover with anything less than a complicated, high order crossover at the lower end, introducing distortion which can add harshness and a nasty nasal quality. It's all a balancing act really and the better engineered the drivers (usually with cost associated) the more leeway you tend to get at the extreme ends of the frequency range of a drive unit. It's a really interesting process to be involved in developing a speaker from scratch.
I came across early AE1s in two rather different connotations.

Firstly through my studio contacts, a number of muso/producer types bought them for their 'studio' type qualities, usually with pretty meaty amplifiers. The effect was generally pretty convincing, one or two trying them out in the studio.

I rather liked the 'enhanced' qualities of the original, but then I have always been a bit of a 'noiseboy' and at higher levels they were good fun.

I was less enamoured of them in more conventional setups however, they were often rather underpowered, with the consequences mentioned above.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
jonathanRD said:
BigH said:
Vladimir said:
199 at RS and 400 elsewhere. Perhaps that is 199 per box at RS.
Per box?

Its for a pair, I see its gone up, someone must have been reading this post.
Still £199.95 when I looked just now
In white they are £236, can't see any other versions now. I see its come up now, black only 4 left at £199.

If you want them I would order now, Richers have quite a good return/exchange policy. Join their VIP membership, you get a few freebies and maybe £10 off.
 

PrimeRib

New member
Jun 1, 2013
4
0
0
?

Why is everyone saying to just buy the 301s because they're cheap now when it's not what the original topic to be discussed was.
 

busb

New member
Jun 14, 2011
58
0
0
PrimeRib said:
Lots of posts.

Not a lot useful. I'm sure there's a casual chat section elsewhere.
Don't bite the hand that feeds! All the forums are "casual chat sections". Topic drift is a fact of life. Stick around & you'll get used to it & makes threads more interesting for others that may otherwise skip replying. The S/N ratio is no lower than most Hi Fi forums. It's good to talk!
 

PrimeRib

New member
Jun 1, 2013
4
0
0
What a stupid post.

Nobody said the thread was important - you did.

But I do expect more than half the content to be relevant / useful to the question raised, not endless posts about speakers that are of no interest to me or helping the thread progress.
 

PrimeRib

New member
Jun 1, 2013
4
0
0
Topic drift is not a fcat of life and I'm not biting the hand that feeds by asking poeple to stay on topic.

There has been no feeding anyway - just lots of irrelevant noise.

Is it so hard to read the thread topic and intro post and respond? And if you have nothing relevant or insightful to add then don;t.

Really very simple.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
Ok I will pick up on a few points. AE301s I went to hear them at Richers but was told they don't keep them in stock they have to be ordered in, so that may explain why they did not sell well. The Tannoys 6.1 I did hear at a different dealer and they were £900, they sounded fine if a too laid back with MArantz Pearl Lite for my taste, the cabinets are high quality, curved, not sure worth £900 but certainly in the Kef LS50 sort of price range. If you can get to hear them I would but maybe not suit your Primare amp. Not sure why you don't like the look of the 6.1s seem fairly similar to the MA silver 2 but better quality, re Kefs you talking about the LS50s?
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
25
1
10,545
PrimeRib said:
Topic drift is not a fcat of life and I'm not biting the hand that feeds by asking poeple to stay on topic.

There has been no feeding anyway - just lots of irrelevant noise.

Is it so hard to read the thread topic and intro post and respond? And if you have nothing relevant or insightful to add then don;t.

Really very simple.
Do one? That'll work
 
K

keeper of the quays

Guest
Hi prime rib. Your the op and i guess its not unreasonable for you to want the thread to remain around your request for information..if it meanders? It happens! Lol...however its your post and ill respect that...either lspeaker is a good option! Seems the AEs are good value if you can source a pair? Good thread prime rib...im more steamed fish..lol :)
 

luckylion100

New member
Nov 6, 2011
72
0
0
keeper of the quays said:
Hi prime rib. Your the op and i guess its not unreasonable for you to want the thread to remain around your request for information..if it meanders? It happens! Lol...however its your post and ill respect that...either lspeaker is a good option! Seems the AEs are good value if you can source a pair? Good thread prime rib...im more steamed fish..lol :)
Very brave of you to raise your head above the parapet Mr Keeper! ;-)

I'm afriad to ask but was there speaker shoot out in an issue of What Hi-Fi a couple of months back ( I don't buy the magazine) and if so, were the disappointing Q Acoustic offerings mentioned in the earlier post by the OP the Concept 20 or one of the newer but cheaper models? I had the Concepts and thought they were brilliant little speakers...Just womdering...
 
K

keeper of the quays

Guest
luckylion100 said:
keeper of the quays said:
Hi prime rib. Your the op and i guess its not unreasonable for you to want the thread to remain around your request for information..if it meanders? It happens! Lol...however its your post and ill respect that...either lspeaker is a good option! Seems the AEs are good value if you can source a pair? Good thread prime rib...im more steamed fish..lol :)
Very brave of you to raise your head above the parapet Mr Keeper! ;-)

I'm afriad to ask but was there speaker shoot out in an issue of What Hi-Fi a couple of months back ( I don't buy the magazine) and if so, were the disappointing Q Acoustic offerings mentioned in the earlier post by the OP the Concept 20 or one of the newer but cheaper models? I had the Concepts and thought they were brilliant little speakers...Just womdering...
To be honest i dont know? What you hear from a speaker and what i hear? are different things! I suggested in another thread that Ms 902i were very good for the money..op said he heard them and they were rubbish! What can one do? Only suggest? Prime ribs options are good ones, I'm biased as I use AEs but the monitor speakers are beautifully made! And still reassuringly expensive! We all go on this journey of chop change hifi till we feel we have the perfect set up! and then we get told in forums that we are wrong and deluded etc..hopefully by this time we are old anddont give give a hoot for peoples opinions anyway! Happy days.. :)
 

PrimeRib

New member
Jun 1, 2013
4
0
0
Once I've found a sound i like I'll stick with it and don't really care what other people think of it.

Just looking for the shortcut to brands that are smoother / warmer which more experienced users might just be able to point me toward a bit quicker.

If they can stay on topic.
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
159
57
10,670
PrimeRib said:
Once I've found a sound i like I'll stick with it and don't really care what other people think of it.

Just looking for the shortcut to brands that are smoother / warmer which more experienced users might just be able to point me toward a bit quicker.

If they can stay on topic.
Boston Acoustics M25's might fit the bill if you can find any
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts