Mid/bass suddenly disappeared!?

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi all - I hope someone can help!

My system consists of a squeezebox, a Cyrus DAC-XP with PSX-R, and an X-Power.

I went to listen today and all there was playing was the highs and the higher mids!? It was like some sort of bizarre "karaoke" mode. I fiddled with the connections etc and no change. I connected the speakers to a cheapo hifi I have and they seemed to be working ok, so is it likely something wrong with the DACXP or the XPower? If so which one and how do I diagnose the problem? I could only do a very crude test of the speakers (CM1s) as I had to bodge the connections to my old Aiwa system but they seemed to be working as normal?! I can't imagine the PSXR to be the cause of the problem!?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
A curious one. I'll assume you weren't messing about with speaker connections and could have mistakenly connected then out of phase (i.e. + and - the wrong way round)?

I'd see if there is a way of doing a factory reset on each of your components, and if there isn't or it doesn't make any difference, try disconnecting everything and re-connecting it, ensuring everything it properly fitted/tight etc.

Aside from that I guess it's a case or trying to swap out/substitute each component in turn and try to narrow down where the problem is.

Good luck

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Dan!

I am more than happy on this occasion to resoundingly claim "Numpty of the year" - I have just discovered that the power cord to the DAC XP had worked itself very loose and was hanging on by a mere thread; the result of which was no bass - WIERD! This is the second time I have solved a significant hi fi problem by checking the connections! Just goes to show.

Sorry for the time waste!

Matt

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hey Matt,

to me it sounds like you might have gotten your speaker polarity wrong. Failing that, I would try different interconnects than the one you are using. It is fairly unusual for amps to act this way so I'm guessing its a cable issue.

Hope this helps,

Shafin

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
mattc76 said:
Thanks Dan!

I am more than happy on this occasion to resoundingly claim "Numpty of the year" - I have just discovered that the power cord to the DAC XP had worked itself very loose and was hanging on by a mere thread; the result of which was no bass - WIERD! This is the second time I have solved a significant hi fi problem by checking the connections! Just goes to show.

Matt

We've all been there!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
mattc76 said:
Thanks Dan!

Matt
Serves me right for not reading the whole post, I'd like to declare myself numpty of the year runner up. Good to know things are right.

Shafin

TRENDING THREADS