Michell HR PSU

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I know there are a few Gyro owners here - have you added the HR PSU ??

£400 ouch a lot of money - is it worthwhile - I already know the answer but just want some more reassurance!

My heart says yes, my wallet says no !

But honestly can my Gyro get better ?

David@FrankHarvey said:
stevebrock said:
But honestly can my Gyro get better ?
Yup. The Orbe platter upgrade is worth doing too...

Doh!

You're going to end up spending out the price of an Orbe stevebrock, don't listen to the man... :)

Seriously though, as long as your Gyrodek has the DC motor (which it will if recent) then the HR upgrade will be well worth going for.

Improving the power supply to turntables obviously makes discernable improvements, why do you think Origin Live sell so many of their upgrade motor kits?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have done a lot of researching on various forums about the Orbe Platter / Clamp upgrade on the Gyro and the genral consensus is that the Clamp upgrade gives the greatest improvement - I want to keep my Gyro a Gyro and I love the spinning brass weights so I will not be bothering with the platter upgrade.

I have added the Orbe Clamp upgrade and its made a noticable improvement.

I spent a few hours yesterday getting the perfect bounce - piston like now and again this has made a surprising difference too.

I am in no rush for the HR PSU, If I see a used one I will snap it up but they are very rare used.

£379 is the best price I have seen from HiFix (David)

stevebrock said:
I have done a lot of researching on various forums about the Orbe Platter / Clamp upgrade on the Gyro and the genral consensus is that the Clamp upgrade gives the greatest improvement - I want to keep my Gyro a Gyro and I love the spinning brass weights so I will not be bothering with the platter upgrade.

I have added the Orbe Clamp upgrade and its made a noticable improvement.

I spent a few hours yesterday getting the perfect bounce - piston like now and again this has made a surprising difference too.

I am in no rush for the HR PSU, If I see a used one I will snap it up but they are very rare used.

£379 is the best price I have seen from HiFix (David)

Like you say it's not a cheap upgrade and improvements, though there, are likely to be subtle.

I too looked into a Gyro (and an SME10, truth be told) before I found my TT ex-demo and, from what I've read, would probably have stuck with the Gyro as well.

I think my thoughts at the time were that the Gyro was 'good enough'. I would have preferred an Orbe if I could have found one for the right price (but couldn't) but was not going to spend out for a full Orbe upgrade of the Gyro, if you see what I mean.

Stick with what you have would be my advise, buy more music, and only when you can really afford it look for that PSU (as you say they are extremely rare used as anyone selling one is usually selling the turntable as well).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Eventually got one !

Quite surprised at the improvement - dont understand how it can be so !

Bass tighter & speration - less smearing.

Relieved I have not wasted my money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
yes Al got a new one! Very happy with it to I believe Trichord make them for Michell really nice build quality - it has the NC technology found in their Phono stage PSUs

I really can't explain how good this upgrade is - Ive been playing loads of LPs tonight and they just sound fantastic. Again its another improvement - all these little things just make owning a Gyrodec over a Rega such a joy !

I will eventually move into MC territory as I know thats when things get really serious !

stevebrock said:
yes Al got a new one! Very happy with it to I believe Trichord make them for Michell really nice build quality - it has the NC technology found in their Phono stage PSUs

I really can't explain how good this upgrade is - Ive been playing loads of LPs tonight and they just sound fantastic. Again its another improvement - all these little things just make owning a Gyrodec over a Rega such a joy !

I will eventually move into MC territory as I know thats when things get really serious !

It's really good you're pleased with the results but how far off SQ-wise is it now from the Orbe? Considering the basic Orbe can be picked up for around £2600-2800, other than the physical tweaking what are the benefits upgrading the Gyrodec to this extent?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't know PP - never heard an Orbe !

Black Gyro SE - £1527 ( no arm )

HR PSU - £379

So still £600-800 away from an Orbe, Im more than happy with things now - I am just enjoying it !

stevebrock said:

HR PSU - £379

So still £600-800 away from an Orbe, Im more than happy with things now - I am just enjoying it !

From what I remember of the Orbe it seems to offer more control over the lower end although just how it does this I don't know. In my opinion, when you're at this sort of level then the arm/cartridge combo really takes precedence. Some say they actually prefer the sound of the Gyro.

Steady on with the MC stuff Steve as that Nag is as good as similar priced MC's and I'm sure it's got plenty of life left in it.

Low output MC's may be good but get expensive when most have to also factor in a step-up device of some kind. With cheap to mid range hi output MC's I think it's better to stick with MM's.

Enjoy what you have and buy more vinyl.

stevebrock said:

HR PSU - £379

Interesting. Back in the summer I popped into SSAV and they are/were selling a Gyrodec - not a standard arm or cart. Can't remember the make of the arm but it had a Ortofon Blue cart on it and they were asking £2400 in that specific set-up. That's the first time I've seen one in the flesh and it's stunning looking - better than in photos.

Think they said £1700 for the basic arm but had to add in the cost of a cart. If I had the money then it would have been a serious consideration. Alas...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP,

That would of been an RB303 arm for that price ( albeit a good arm )

The Tecnoarm is so much better than the RB303, basically a reworked RB250 - which many think is the better arm as there are no springs to adjust the VTF ( added resonance ? ) you just move the counterweight, also the Tecnoarm comes with Silver Litz Wiring, the Tecnoweight etc - lovely arm IMO

Al,

I cant see there being much between my deck with SME IV / Nag MP500 versus an Orbe with the same Arm / Cart combo - I'm sure it maybe better, maybe different ? - I don't know ?

FloydDroid has an Orbe / SME V and he has helped me immensely getting to where I am today - he may offer some input - he does come on here often but just to observe.

iceman16 said:
been there Steve.. I used to own a Gyro(black!} with technoarm/ Denon 103r mc/ and dino +psu

The cart makes the best improvement IMO

One of the best value for money cartridges you can get. Had one for quite a while and it'll take a lot more money to find something better. No wonder that cartridge has been made for years.

If Floyddroid has a V attached to his Orbe then he's a very lucky man.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes he has an SME V, he now uses his IV as an ornament on his sideboard - I was offered first dibs but mine had to be Black - ooooh a Black SME IV on a Black Gyro - WOW!!!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
A Nagaoka MP110 can be had for £95 in UK

I have used Audiokazu.com for all my Nagaoka carts, they come well packaged in a box however the savings are not what they were but still come in cheaper than the UK.

Probably worth doing for the MP200 and above!

My MP500 came from the land of the rising sun and cost me £460 including import duty - think they are approx £680-700 here in the UK

stevebrock said:
A Nagaoka MP110 can be had for £95 in UK

I have used Audiokazu.com for all my Nagaoka carts, they come well packaged in a box however the savings are not what they were but still come in cheaper than the UK.

Probably worth doing for the MP200 and above!

My MP500 came from the land of the rising sun and cost me £460 including import duty - think they are approx £680-700 here in the UK

+1

Some deals to be had on mid to upper price range cartridges if you order direct but take into account you could be hit with VAT etc.

TBH the MP-200 would be a massive overkill with the Pro-ject. The same with the ClearAudio Concept. It's pushing the Pro-ject right to its sonic limit, given upgrading wouldn't be viable.

I might, after the festive period, order a 110 and see if I get the taste of the brand.

plastic penguin said:
TBH the MP-200 would be a massive overkill with the Pro-ject. The same with the ClearAudio Concept. It's pushing the Pro-ject right to its sonic limit, given upgrading wouldn't be viable.

I might, after the festive period, order a 110 and see if I get the taste of the brand.

Personally I think the Concept could take the MP 200 and above. Depends on quality of the tonearm.

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Personally I think the Concept could take the MP 200 and above. Depends on quality of the tonearm.

Noooo... don't have the Concept TT, but the cartridge that goes with it. No my TT is Pro-ject Xpression.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Like to try the Nagaoka 110 but UK dealers are quite sparse.

PP I was going to order from Japan but the Audiokazu chap was in hospital for a few months and then the prices doubled. In the end I bought one from Divine Audio, which have the cheapest prices I've found in the UK. At the lower end of the range you'll probably find it's cheaper than importing, with the postage and import duty that entails.

They have the MP-110 for £95 with free delivery - see here.

(Note to mods: I have no connection whatever with Divine Audio - I just bought a cartridge from them.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts