MF X-150, Sonos, and Napster - overkill?

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I've got a Sonos system, which I love, and have recently got Napster through it. It puts out wma's at (I believe) 128kbps on demand. Until recently I had the 50w built in amp attached directly to a pair of Tannoy F1 Customs on some Soundstyle Z2 stands, and it sounded great.

Than I got a Musical Fidelity X150 amp of eBay, and now it sounds greater.

The thing is, I'm thinking that the amp is higher quality than the speakers, and to fully appreciate it, I could do with better speakers. However, is there any point for the quality of music Napster puts out? Is it worth spending my hard-earned on some B&W 385s, or those gorgeous new Tannoy DC4s? I have noticed that at higher volumes (or over about a third on the MF) the sound loses its 'sharpness' quite a lot, but I don't listen at high volumes that much. The thing is, is it the Napster files or the speakers which is the weak link?

I know people will say, try it and see, but it's not that easy to find a place where I can loan these speakers, or a place where they have Sonos that I can take my amp to. So before I go to all this effort, is it worth it, or will I just be wasting my time?

Thanks!

John Duncan

[quote user="Dazed and Confused"]
Hi,

I've got a Sonos system, which I love, and have recently got Napster through it. It puts out wma's at (I believe) 128kbps on demand. Until recently I had the 50w built in amp attached directly to a pair of Tannoy F1 Customs on some Soundstyle Z2 stands, and it sounded great.

Than I got a Musical Fidelity X150 amp of eBay, and now it sounds greater.

The thing is, I'm thinking that the amp is higher quality than the speakers, and to fully appreciate it, I could do with better speakers. However, is there any point for the quality of music Napster puts out? Is it worth spending my hard-earned on some B&W 385s, or those gorgeous new Tannoy DC4s? I have noticed that at higher volumes (or over about a third on the MF) the sound loses its 'sharpness' quite a lot, but I don't listen at high volumes that much. The thing is, is it the Napster files or the speakers which is the weak link?

I know people will say, try it and see, but it's not that easy to find a place where I can loan these speakers, or a place where they have Sonos that I can take my amp to. So before I go to all this effort, is it worth it, or will I just be wasting my time?

Thanks!
[/quote]

The X-150 is fabulous, and deserves good speakers, certainly, but before we can advise, is this the only source you;re going to have? I mean Napster running at 128k? Or might you use your PC to rip some stuff at higher quality?

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]The X-150 is fabulous, and deserves good speakers, certainly, but before we can advise, is this the only source you;re going to have? I mean Napster running at 128k? Or might you use your PC to rip some stuff at higher quality?[/quote]
Hi,
I do listen to a my previous CDs ripped at a higher rate (usually 320kbps variable bit rate), but I don't have many, and I'm using Napster for more and more, as it has so much choice. I do listen to internet radio, which varies from 64k (stupid BBC) to about 256k (lovely Dutch).
I am thinking in the future Napster will probably up the bit rate, but I imagine it will be 128k for the forseeable future.
To be honest I see Napster and internet radio being the source I use for 90% from now on. Oh, I also watch TV and movies through the X-150/Tannoys, but I'm not a big movie person, so this is hardly worth me mentioning.
Thanks for the help!

John Duncan

I personally think that, whilst not the last word in high fidelity, mp3 can benefit from sounding as good as they possibly can, and if this is going to be your source from now on, you might as well make the most of it. Consider sticking some AVI Neutrons, PMC DB1+ or Proac Tablette 8's on the end of the X-150, and see what you think. You might be surprised at just how good it can sound.

cheers

JD

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Cool, I'll look into those then. I'll have to see if I like the look of them too, though. ;-)

(Sorry about this, I'm maybe not quite 'Hi-Fi' enough for this forum, what with my Napster addiction and aesthetics issues.)

John Duncan

[quote user="Dazed and Confused"]
Cool, I'll look into those then. I'll have to see if I like the look of them too, though. ;-)

(Sorry about this, I'm maybe not quite 'Hi-Fi' enough for this forum, what with my Napster addiction and aesthetics issues.)
[/quote]

No no, I'm a little heretical myself in that I think a half-decent source into great amp and speakers sounds better than the other way round. Diff'rent strokes.......

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]You might be surprised at just how good it can sound.[/quote]

I totaly agree,I have a ZP80 going into the AUX of my Rotel RC 1070 using a CA Arctic interconnect.

Even though the bit rate is only 128kbps I have been really pleased with the combination of SONOS and Napster as there are so many tracks available combined with the usability of the system.

John Duncan

[quote user="DM40"]
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]You might be surprised at just how good it can sound.[/quote]

I totaly agree,I have a ZP80 going into the AUX of my Rotel RC 1070 using a CA Arctic interconnect.

Even though the bit rate is only 128kbps I have been really pleased with the combination of SONOS and Napster as there are so many tracks available combined with the usability of the system.
[/quote]

You might also want to look into the AVI solution, which builds a good DAC and amps into a pair of speakers - ADMS9 or something(?). Not my thing (not at a grand anyway), but some people are saying it's the Brave New World of PC-based hifi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts