MF M3si good amp for Kef R500?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Covenanter said:
tonky said:
It's a very fine sounding amp - heard it in comparison to a roksan kandy K2 - I (very slightly) prefered the marantz. (my error it was the marantz pear lite i heard). It didn't appear to lose out to the K2 in power.

It's a shame the 8005 is a little pricey now tho

tonky

Be careful whatyou say about the Kandy! You will have the Impaler on your back.

Chris

The Marantz PM-8005 is 70Wpc in 8 ohms with 200mV input sensitivity and the Roksan Kandy K2 is 125Wpc in 8 ohms with 470mV input sensitivity. I think tonky heard it right. They should sound equallly loud and powerfull on the same volume knob position before the Marantz enters clipping.

I knew you couldn't resist.
wink_smile.gif

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Vladimir said:
Covenanter said:
tonky said:
It's a very fine sounding amp - heard it in comparison to a roksan kandy K2 - I (very slightly) prefered the marantz. (my error it was the marantz pear lite i heard). It didn't appear to lose out to the K2 in power.

tonky

Chris

The Marantz PM-8005 is 70Wpc in 8 ohms with 200mV input sensitivity and the Roksan Kandy K2 is 125Wpc in 8 ohms with 470mV input sensitivity. I think tonky heard it right. They should sound equallly loud and powerfull on the same volume knob position before the Marantz enters clipping.

Chris

The Kandyman!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Covenanter said:
Vladimir said:
Covenanter said:
tonky said:

tonky

Chris

Chris

The Kandyman!

He's never forgiven me for being less than complimentary about the Kandy several months ago. But then I remember the cracked piano notes.
devil_smile.gif

Chris

Covenanter said:
obiwan kenobi said:
Convenanter; why did you buy the Marantz? It seems when ik look at it it isn't powerful. And isn't it a bright amp?

What will be a good warm sounding amp for the Kef R500? There are so many brands. What about Electrocompaniet ECi 3 (expensive) or Hegel 80.

There is a thread of mine called "An audition" which gives the details of what I thought. I'd post a link to it (as I used to be able to do) if this silly website would let me!

Chris

Done for you, Chris.

obiwan kenobi said:
I'm a little afraid the Hegel is too cold sounding for me.

Hi obiwan kenobi

I've used the Hegel's H80 with numerous electronics and loudspeakers and have not found the H80 to sound cold
regular_smile.gif
If the H80 did sound cold then I would not be interested in supporting the amp. Over the years we have (despite their popularity) turned away from some products which we have found to sound cold.

Anyway, as i've said before i find H80 has a detailed, fluid, fast, grippy, tight, dynamic and particularly the H80's reproduction of bass - punchy and powerful
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of cold equipment, Im seeking an amplifier for my Tannoy dc6t se, would Hegel h80 be a good choice? I might be wrong but do I need bigger speaker to get full benefit of the Hegels power?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Not at all.- i heard the kandy and the pearl lite using audiolab cd player and kef LS50 - they were driven loud. Neither amp sounded stressed or near clipping. Both plenty loud for me. I am sure someone else might have preferred one or the other. In that set up (for me) it was the marantz. In another set up someone might have bought the Kandy maybe.

I bought the very powerful CA 840A v2 5/6 years ago - wish i'd bought the pearl lite/8005. No danger of clipping the Cambridge tho! What a powerful beast!

Now the owner of a demo'd Naim unitilite and enjoying it immensely - streaming - internet radio - great sound - all good through my epos es14

tonky

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
There are 3 amp on my list to listen with the kef r500 and metal amd rock music. Exposure 3010S2, best buy in Hifinews and hifichoice, was too bright for me. Female voices hurt my ears. And not warm enough.

1. Arcam A39

2. Marantz pm 14S1

3. Hegel H80

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
There are 3 amp on my list to listen with the kef r500 and metal amd rock music. Exposure 3010S2, best buy in Hifinews and hifichoice, was too bright for me. Female voices hurt my ears. And not warm enough.

1. Arcam A39

2. Marantz pm 14S1

3. Hegel H80

I'd choose the Arcam A39 for your particular musical taste and tonal character preferences.

1. Arcam, highest power and good gain structure

2. Marantz, best build quality

3. Hegel, big blue dial numbers

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:

1. Arcam A39

2. Marantz pm 14S1

3. Hegel H80

Unless you already have the R500s you should lsiten to the R700s with whatever amp you go for. They are materially better than the R500s IMO.

Chris

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Anthem 225?Good price,most powerfull,good reviews.I will demo one in two weeks myself.Would be nice to hear another opinion if you can demo it too.Nov/Dez there is also the Creek Evo100 (also to be ClassG) to consider,which I found a bit nicer comparing the Evo50 with Kef R-Series than with Arcam A19.A bit more sparkling in the hights and more controlled,tighter bass.But maybe the A39 is different.

Zax89swe said:
Im seeking an amplifier for my Tannoy dc6t se, would Hegel h80 be a good choice? I might be wrong but do I need bigger speaker to get full benefit of the Hegels power?

Hi Zax89swe

The H80's with it's fast, grippy, tight, dynamic, punchy and powerful sound should inject some energy into your DC6 SE speakers.

I've found small speakers such as Silver 1's, 685 S2's, Concept 20's, curved SCM11's, X-1's (Raidho Acoustics), etc. also pair well with the H80.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
And there is also the Lyngdorf tdai 2170. Full digital and with roomcorrection and a icc chip. But Lyngdorf is i think not warm and not forging for bad records.

D

Deleted member 2457

Help me Obiwan Kenobi you're my only hope! *smile*

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
A dealer told that Arcam is very unreliable. IT IS OFTEN BROKEN!

Will be the MF M6si better or the Marantz pm 14s1?

If that was the case they wouldn't be giving a 5-year warranty, as they do for their FMJ range.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:

Why don't you listen to stuff and make up your own mind?

Chris

PS IMO most British stuff will be badly built and fail more often than not. Buy something made in Japan or China, it will be more reliable.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
obiwan kenobi said:

Chris

PS IMO most British stuff will be badly built and fail more often than not. Buy something made in Japan or China, it will be more reliable.

Is this statement really accurate? I would have presumed it to be the other way around. I don't know the answer myself. I know rega have a slight reputation,on this forum at least, but not heard of many roksans with issues. I did read somewhere the other day that NAD has quite a few amps break on their owners. Any one with genuine knowledge or stats on this?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
Covenanter said:
obiwan kenobi said:

Chris

Is this statement really accurate? I would have presumed it to be the other way around. I don't know the answer myself. I know rega have a slight reputation,on this forum at least, but not heard of many roksans with issues. I did read somewhere the other day that NAD has quite a few amps break on their owners. Any one with genuine knowledge or stats on this?

I remember reading quite a few posts about Roksan problems, mainly with the volume control. Arcam I had an Arcam amp. for 20 years no problems. But some Arcam are now made in China? In fact a lot of british hifi is now made abroad. I also have Marantz cdp which is over 20 years old and still playing fine, how many of todays players will last that long?

TRENDING THREADS