Merry Christmas Everyone!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Just driven a 270 mile round trip to bring my son home for Christmas, first time in 6 years we will have both children (well both over 20 now) together home on Christmas day. Apparently they are both looking forward to the demo of my new amp. *smile*

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Ahem...

The only reason why I don't wish anyone Merry Xmas is because this forum is diverse, and some may not celebrate Xmas in the way I and others do.
As an atheist Jew (educated at a C of E school and had a Shinto wedding ceremony) I'd like to wish you and the rest of the forum a merry Christmas.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Ahem...

The only reason why I don't wish anyone Merry Xmas is because this forum is diverse, and some may not celebrate Xmas in the way I and others do.

I think everyone would understand that we've been (at the very least) nominally Christian here since around the 6th and 7th centuries onwards and that Christians and non-Christians alike have traditionally shared the customs (if not the underlying beliefs). Santa Claus, the Christmas tree, tree decorations, feasting, presents etc. all have disparate roots going back as far as characters like Saint Boniface (from Crediton in Devon) and even Martin Luther amongst many others.

A lot of these traditions/customs arrived from Germany directly (courtesy of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria starting middle class fashions originating in their family's native countries) and indirectly like F.W. Woolworth importing the blown glass baubles he was so impressed by (when travelling in Thuringia, Germany) to America and here in Britain.

You have the home-grown influence from Dickens and the Father Christmas/Santa Claus traditions (from virtually everywhere else in the world) and even the dinner is hardly fixed. (Right now the favourite bird originated in the Americas but it's also been goose for centuries. (It's always beef in this house.)

My point is that even us 'Anglo Saxon, vaguely Christian' brits do ... "not celebrate Xmas in the way I and others do" [sic] so I can't see it really causing any offence. It's a bit of a pick-and-mix (for all but the truly devout Christian believer) and people take whatever bit's of it suit them.

It's always been the way. Show me an era when the people of Northern Europe haven't had some kind of mid-winter festival tradition going on.

If somone is so totally grim, stone-faced opposed to my secular/religious inspired Christmas traditions (including wishing them well) because it offends their beliefs, then they can #### right off! To my mind it'll only be the IS and ultra-left-wing social workers from Tower Hamlets who will be getting in a froth about it.

Merry Christmas.*

* Not 'Xmas'.

Only trying to be PC about the period (not always my strongest point in the past).

My sister was married to a family of JWs (something we don't subscribe to), but we have to appreciate not everyone has the same beliefs as me or the majority of you guys.

Last year I titled it "Festive greetings" IIRC.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Only trying to be PC about the period (not always my strongest point in the past).

My sister was married to a family of JWs (something we don't subscribe to), but we have to appreciate not everyone has the same beliefs as me or the majority of you guys.

Last year I titled it "Festive greetings" IIRC.

Oh I do.

Merry Christmas everyone.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam a Hindu bloke from India. Having a secular up bringing as most Indians do, and backed up by a secular education, and Christian friends. I can imagine the joy that Christmas brings. And I have no hesitation, none so ever in wishing you all and your families a very happy Christmas, and very merry holiday season ahead.

newlash09 said:
Iam a Hindu bloke from India. Having a secular up bringing as most Indians do, and backed up by a secular education, and Christian friends. I can imagine the joy that Christmas brings. And I have no hesitation, none so ever in wishing you all and your families a very happy Christmas, and very merry holiday season ahead.
Which part of India, if you don't mind me asking?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Hope everyone had a real nice Christmas Time !
thumbs_up.gif

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Nice one... my wife is Indian and thankfully enjoys the festivities almost as much as I do Hope you've all had a good time and no family strife Mac www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
newlash09 said:
Nice one... my wife is Indian and thankfully enjoys the festivities almost as much as I do Hope you've all had a good time and no family strife Mac www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
I am similar to you both. Best wishes to you - it's a time for peace,reflection and family time. regards tonky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts