Memory Lane Anyone?

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I was about to post this as a reply but decided it was way off topic, but out of interest has anyone dug up their old systems on ebay?

My Sony memory lane, I bought this when I was 17:

To go with this:

But using these speakers:

Hope those links work
I'd love the Akai system my mum's partner had back in the 80's all space age with soft touch buttons that only depressed a couple of mm. I did find all the correct models once on Pinterest but deleted that app. He bought it to replace an old system from the late 60's? early 70's that consisted of a receiver with built in turntable and a top loading akai cassette deck and some old castle speakers that had wooden fronts with slots cut into them. Never did find out if the fronts could be removed. He still used those speakers when he bought the new akai gear. Still has the speakers now but I don't know whether they work he's not listened to his hifi for years.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Still have my original speakers. Mordaunt Short MS10 from 1988. Hooked them up recently and was very impressed. Would love to find the Pioneer amp and cd player I had with them to hear it all again.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I'd love the Akai system my mum's partner had back in the 80's all space age with soft touch buttons that only depressed a couple of mm. I did find all the correct models once on Pinterest but deleted that app. He bought it to replace an old system from the late 60's? early 70's that consisted of a receiver with built in turntable and a top loading akai cassette deck and some old castle speakers that had wooden fronts with slots cut into them. Never did find out if the fronts could be removed. He still used those speakers when he bought the new akai gear. Still has the speakers now but I don't know whether they work he's not listened to his hifi for years.
Found the cassette deck Akai HX-R5. Just need to find the receiver now.Akai HX-R5.png

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Those AR7 were £55 a pair iirc. I chose the slightly bigger AR4xa which were £64. They’ve held their price, anyway!!
My old man bought them in the 70's, I got all his hand me downs and then I asked him for a turntable and he came home with that Sony system, God alone knows what my mother thought.

And the wheel turns and I was buying him components to replace items in his system, I bought "Wild things run fast" gold plated CD at a Bristol show that was our album, I put it in his coffin, I think ill buy those speakers .

D

Deleted member 201267

Anyone remember the Sony RXD700 CD receiver? I paid £350 for one, in the local Sony centre sale.

That was half price and I always thought £700 was excessive.

I'm not sure if any Sony centres exist these days. I used to love the cosy lighting and the smell of new kit!
Purchased my CD player from the local Sony centre in 1999. Sadly it has since closed...

Reactions: Revolutions
This was my first cassette deck, Hitachi D230.

And my lovely old Pioneer SA-706, worked extremely well with the Hitachi and Wharfedale Linton XP2.

Still have a fondness for dancing VU meters.

Reactions: Cricketbat70
D

Deleted member 201267

I worked in a few Sony Centres from around 2000-2003. The franchise was owned by the Shasonic brothers from Tottenham Court Road. Super handy being able to order other products with staff discount.

I worked in a few Sony Centres from around 2000-2003. The franchise was owned by the Shasonic brothers from Tottenham Court Road. Super handy being able to order other products with staff discount.
May i ask what was the staff discount ?

They knocked £20 off the price of the CD player for me as i was paying in cash plus i was a student at the time.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
May i ask what was the staff discount ?
For the most part it was like 20%. Our tills had a ‘cost price’ for products that dictated the staff price.

Sony did one great promotion where you could earn products by selling certain items. I got me a slimline minidisc Walkman by selling the same TV to everyone. We sold so many of those sets. Good tv’s, but you were getting sold the mid-range 32” tele regardless of your budget or size requirements 😁

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
For the most part it was like 20%. Our tills had a ‘cost price’ for products that dictated the staff price.

Sony did one great promotion where you could earn products by selling certain items. I got me a slimline minidisc Walkman by selling the same TV to everyone. We sold so many of those sets. Good tv’s, but you were getting sold the mid-range 32” tele regardless of your budget or size requirements 😁
Where I work we used to do the Panasonic points system. A lot of the sales staff over the years have managed to get TV's hifi etc for next to nothing.
Our staff price is, trade + VAT +2% admin charge. I've got some good deals over the years but then some of our suppliers trade prices have been more than the big boys retail prices.
The Sony rep was in one time I ordered 3 MP3 players for my kids, they took weeks to arrive, I could have got them from Amazon next day and cheaper.

The cassette deck I replaced the Hitachi with was a JVC KD-33. I kept that during the rest of the 80s and 90s. Bit more techie than the Hitachi with things such as track scan. Mine was in silver.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
My first hifi

ADC 1700 turntable
Pioneer SA608 amplifier (my first hifi purchase)
Kef Celeste III speakers

Last edited:

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Now you've got me thinking.

NAD 160 receiver
Goldring Lenco GL75 turntable
Sharp 3388A Computer Control Cassette Deck
Celestion UL 6 speakers (which are in storage in my loft)

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Reactions: Cricketbat70

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts