Memorable HIFI

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've had a few 'odd' things in my equipment vault. Reading through some postings one thing emerges with the consistency of a swiss watch; brightness in playback and listener fatigue.

Some ten or so years ago I had an amplifier made by John Shearne. I think it was a Phase One if memory serves well. First I had it play through LS3 5'as then I changed to Harbeth mini monitors (HLS 3something, they've long been sold) anyway ...

It was a funny looking amp, slim with a 'marble look' front. Build quality ... questionable in the best tradition of a small independent british manufacturer. Remote control? Dont be silly but the sound ... unbelievable. Scale, power, warmth and dynamics to die for! It was, I think rated at 50w/ch but it sounded way way more than that. It made an Audiolab 8000S, which I auditioned at the same time sound like a portable transistor radio. I still dont know how they managed to make it sound the way it did. Probably by deliberately engineering-in distortion but boy, if you crave a 'real' sound in your living room, IN THE ROOM, without harshness or listener fatigue you could do worse than trying to track one down. Just make sure, you listen to it first.

I eventually traded it in for a more expensive valve amp but still remember the unbelievable scale and power of the thing. A musician friend of mine still has his and would'nt trade it in for anything else. Did you have anything similar you still remember as a 'land mark' change in your particular system evolution? For me, it introduced me, in a roundabout sort of way, to valves. Something which I otherwise probably never would have considered.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure mine is so high end, but my second system got me hooked on hi-fi. It was a Marantz PM-66SE Ki signature amp and a Marantz CD-63 mk II KI signature CD player. They were both highly recommended in What Hi-Fi at the time and this is the only reason I wanted them (I was only 18... and didn't really know about Hi-Fi or anything other than the second hand Technics system I got from my Grandad - my Dad took me to his dealer and we sealed the deal). I ran them through Tannoy Mercury M3s - floorstanders recommended by the dealer for my price range. I remember when I got it all home and started listening - it blew me away and I used to spend hours listening to music back then (it seems I had so much more time back then!)

I still have both those systems (though the amp has now died) but lost my hi-fi way for many a year, concentrating mostly on movies in the last 4 years or so, buying the Denon AVC-A1SE back in the day after I heard it and loved it. Since then, I've upgraded to B&W 685 front speakers (and M1 rears) and this re-ignited my musical sense. I recently dug out my Marantz CD-63 mk II KI signature CD player (which still works after 12 years!) and started playing CDs through it again (have been using MP3 for god knows how long before that). I've been messing around with toe-in, placement and all sorts of things I hadn't thought about for years!

At the end of the day, the landmark system was that combination of Marantz CD player / amplifier and Tannoy floorstanders that marked me - showed me how good music could sound if you gave it a chance! I hope now, I can top it.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
for me it's the leak stereo 20.valve amps just sound so right.no listener fatigue gorgeous bass and vocals that seem to soar out from the speakers.i remember with fondness the phase 1 and i believe he made a phase 2 as well. i heard the phase 1 with an lp 12 and ruark speakers,lovely.i would have bought the lot but for a season to to the arsenal and a wife who said one or the other.i did end up with an lp12 though so thats another landmark piece of equipment.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]for me it's the leak stereo 20.valve amps just sound so right.no listener fatigue gorgeous bass and vocals that seem to soar out from the speakers.i remember with fondness the phase 1 and i believe he made a phase 2 as well. i heard the phase 1 with an lp 12 and ruark speakers,lovely.i would have bought the lot but for a season to to the arsenal and a wife who said one or the other.i did end up with an lp12 though so thats another landmark piece of equipment.[/quote]

I suspect this would have given you more pleasure than a season at the Library

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts