Mega difference...actually.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

stereoman said:
gasolin said:
A cyrus 8vs2 could be used with active speaker since they have pre out so it would be easy to find a speaker with adjustments of the highs and low

Like genelec's adam audio

Whathifi review say Short of low-end oomph would that something op want's to have?

Exactly this is what I am thinking about right now...if speakers upgarde then maybe actives too. The good side of actives is indeed this acoustics adjustment and an inbuilt matching amp.

And many speakers like genelec and adamauido's are bi amping more dynamic,punchy sound that non bi amped speakers

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Not necessarily on bi amping. If you are listening to similar price actives to passives, I’d always do comparisons against the cyrus, to see which you like best.

gasolin

QuestForThe13thNote said:
Not necessarily on bi amping. If you are listening to similar price actives to passives, I’d always do comparisons against the cyrus, to see which you like best.

Amp and speaker combination to active speaker for the same price, don't think many people compare 1000£ passive speakers to 1000£ active speaker, you have to buy an amp for the passive speakers and the it's mabye another 300-500£

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Because the op has got an amp already and if he decides he wants to buy new speakers, either passives or actives and say the budget is £1000 for speakers, he will be comparing passives and actives at the same price. I reckon passive speakers with the cyrus would beat similarly priced actives using the pre outs, and you are in effect not utilising the amplification of the cyrus too. But I wouldn’t take my word for it, as I’d try combinations out.

Comparing a £1000 set of actives with say £1000 passive speakers and the cyrus amp was over a grand when new I think, would probably be quite an easy one.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Quest, I can't equate a personal preference or system synergy for vinyl with Stereoman's description of:

"Mega difference... actually" and "The CD playback compared to my TT is terrible"

Do you think that Stereoman is grossly exagerating the differences between the 2 sources in his system?

I don't. I am basing my replies on the evidence presented by him. That's why I've been asking which CD's he's used to compare the 2 and whether he can borrow a CD player (or buy a good cheap one) to determine if there's a technical fault with his Denon.

Hi Linsayt

i wouldn’t say he is exaggerating at all, no. But as I say, I think a lot comes down to preference, between a digital and analogue source. Not necessarily an absolute between one being rated worse than another, by everyone who hears that system. Also extent to which we all individually have different sensitivities and describe them. Add into the mix the tt may just work better with the cyrus and Leema speakers too, for most who hear that system.

interesting the CD player is a sacd type and I’d expect good detail with that. In what way is the playplack terrible comparatively Stereoman?

i think what we can all probably agree that changing speakers can have the most profound effects for the better though.
Reading post #18, I now think that Stereoman was grossly exagerating the differences, according to my scale of describing sonic differences - but not necessarily according to Stereoman's. That's the the thing with describing the sound of hi-fi. One person's "terrible" is another person's "can hear a difference, but it's not worth spending a lot of money to fix". We can all have different personal scales for describing things.

Quest, I now think your advice from post #5 is good - ie change speakers. And that seems to be the way Stereoman is going.

This is one of those times where it's probably best to let the original poster work things out for himself and let us know what changes he makes to his system to get him satisfied with it.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I agree in hindsight and am not from the point of view of criticising stereoman in any way, but just from trying to give best help / advice etc. I thought so when he said ‘a bit’ somewhere but the title is different.

Id expect the sources to both be good I think for how they perform, what they are, and at their prices. You could conceivably spend £1000 on a new CD player or dac atm and get hardly any difference, but not so for speakers. Also sources are pretty much all good at these prices and do the job needed. That’s why you need a really nice rich speaker I’m thinking to kick that CD player into life. I’d look at a different dac later maybe to use if the cd has digital outs. Also streaming possibly too?

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello. Actually, I am the sort of person who at the end of the day needs to clarify exactly what I meant and whether my impressions were really true or not. Anyone, including me of course who reads any post claiming "this and this" might be to some extent influenced by the problem / suggestion from op. That is why I have tendency to come back here for as already said clarification so:

1. Indeed I exaggerated the difference between TT and a good CD. Actually , in general the difference is not so mega huge as I stated. By me the difference stemmed out from the fact that I have extremely bad speaker position against the glass etc. It is one of the worst speaker positions ever. Today I played for the first time with speaker positioning and got extremely well results. The sound is hugely improved, especially from CD player. I am indeed surprised because according to Leema experts one needs to do only very small moves in positioning, even few cm shifting make a really big impact on sound, in case of these speakers.

2. It is also true that Cyrus with good pair of speakers should not be worse than good actives due to Cyrus's components sophistication. Although it is also true that bi amped actives have a powerful kick. Much better than passives.

3. I believe that my pair of speakers had a small technical fault as the bass response was too weak even for such small speakers ( I know the model from previous listening sessions and had them already several years ago )

4. I am really so confused because the position changed the sound amazing but at the same time I think it might be speaker's suspension that simply "woke up"

5. Although surprised and glad with the sound now it does not change my view to pursue for better cables or speakers. Simply need to reinstate than indeed Leemas are not so bad as people think. To me much better from the previous known Hi Fi speakers that I have used before. Still looking for my "cup of tea" in music system though and can last a long time. Thank you all for your suggestions !

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

In 2) I wouldn’t believe that until you’ve heard some actives if that’s the plan to compare against cyrus with some passives. Nothing is a given in hi Fi. Also you can always add another 8vs2 and use in monoblock or a bi-amped set up. These old 8vs2 units can often be had quite cheap.http://www.cyrusaudio.com/support/pdf-brochures-manuals/legacy-products/integrated-amplifiers-1/cyrus-8-vs2-integrated-amplifier/153-cyrus-6-and-8vs2-manual-english-1/file

You’d just use pre outs and either run the amps in monoblock mode or bi amped if your speakers have treble and bass sockets (with bi wire cables). I wouldn’t bi amp with Cyrus in my experience if you ever do that, just monoblock is better.

don’t think anyone is saying the Leema speakers are bad at all, it’s just in comparable terms there is always better, which it looked was the spec as you agree. On better, this upgrading tends to burn a hole in your pocket and boy do I know that!

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
In 2) I wouldn’t believe that until you’ve heard some actives if that’s the plan to compare against cyrus with some passives. Nothing is a given in hi Fi. Also you can always add another 8vs2 and use in monoblock or a bi-amped set up. These old 8vs2 units can often be had quite cheap.http://www.cyrusaudio.com/support/pdf-brochures-manuals/legacy-products/integrated-amplifiers-1/cyrus-8-vs2-integrated-amplifier/153-cyrus-6-and-8vs2-manual-english-1/file

You’d just use pre outs and either run the amps in monoblock mode or bi amped if your speakers have treble and bass sockets (with bi wire cables). I wouldn’t bi amp with Cyrus in my experience if you ever do that, just monoblock is better.

don’t think anyone is saying the Leema speakers are bad at all, it’s just in comparable terms there is always better, which it looked was the spec as you agree. On better, this upgrading tends to burn a hole in your pocket and boy do I know that!

True.
thumbs_up.png

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
stereoman said:
Hello to you...actually, going back on my word a bit. The CD playback compared to my TT is terrible. I use Denon DCD 1500AE which has some digital outputs. Denon make really good CD players but mine is not so new ,so I assume the internal DAC is a bit oldish. Now, the question - if I buy an external DAC up to 400€ will it make a difference and make the sound at least similar to vinyl ? Or is it enough to buy a new CD player with better internal DAC than mine, what would be your suggestion ? 

If you want to make your CD playback sound more like vinyl then whenever playing a CD place a thick, woollen jumper over each loudspeaker. Then pour a very large bowl of rice crispies in between your loudspeakers (must be placed slightly off centre) and add milk. Finally sit back, brace yourself for those incredible (yet impossible) dynamics and enjoy the audio fire works (for at least 25 minutes). The experience is enhanced if you have a head cold.

I really did laugh out loud reading that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts