Media PC

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for a media PC purely to be used as music server - basically I want to rip my CD collection and store them onto a hard drive using either iTunes or other such software. I have previously looked at Zoostorm small form factor PCs which no longer appear to be available, however I have seen a Sumvision Cyclone mini PC and Quantum Byte mini PC which run windows 8.1 and both cost around £120.

Would either of these suffice for my needs? I am concerned about the limited RAM and Intel Atom chips that they both use.

Thanks for any help.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I would say £200 maximum but cheaper if possible. I have since noticed that neither have an optical out for audio. I have also looked at the Lenovo Q190.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I would like an optical drive so that I can rip my CD collection and have a digital library. I'm not too bothered about internet access etc, I have other devices for that. I just need a system where I can rip and store, then access to either listen or copy onto my MP3 player or iPad.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
That is really helpful, thanks. I will look into a self build option, maybe in a more compact case.

My only question would be I assume there isn't an OS installed?

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again, very useful information. I have looked into Ubuntu which seems a pretty nice OS and fairly straightforward to install and use.

Aside from Overclockers, are there any other reputable self build PC suppliers?

abacus

CarlDW said:
Thanks again, very useful information. I have looked into Ubuntu which seems a pretty nice OS and fairly straightforward to install and use.

Aside from Overclockers, are there any other reputable self build PC suppliers?

Too many to mention, however just type the component you are looking for into Google Shop, and you will get a selection of online suppliers. (Also dont forget to check locally, as there are usualy small plenty of small computer shops about)

Hope this helps

Bill

jjbomber

CarlDW said:
Hi,

I am looking for a media PC purely to be used as music server - basically I want to rip my CD collection and store them onto a hard drive using either iTunes or other such software.

Thanks for any help.

Just £99 for a HP mini PC with Windows 8.1 installed, so you'll get the free update to Windows 10 in a few weeks. I would use Exact Audio Copy to make FLAC files. I would add a WD MyCloud to suit, in !TB, 2TB, 3Tb or 4TB, depending on your collection size. Connect via USB3.0 for the initial ripping transfers.

http://www.ebuyer.com/702840-hp-260-g1-desktop-mini-pc-k8l27ea-abu?utm_source=2015-07-07&utm_medium=campaign_email&utm_campaign=Browsed_Nettop

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have previously looked at Vortexbox, unfortunately a little beyond my budget at this time and I would want a fairly decent system to integrate it into.

The little HP looks interesting, as do a few other options on eBuyer. I guess my only concern is even though I would assume ripping CD's and storing them isn't that task intensive, I would like any PC I get to be responsive and not lag when searching albums and transferring files to other devices. And be simple to use!

I am looking into self build and all options so far suggested, thanks for the help.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
CarlDW said:
I have previously looked at Vortexbox, unfortunately a little beyond my budget at this time and I would want a fairly decent system to integrate it into.

you can use pretty much any system and load vortexbox on to it, as the software is free. The only charge is for the hardware.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Apologies - my mistake. Yes, the Vortexbox software does look good.

Is there a minimum spec that I should be looking at, in order to narrow down my choices? I don't have that much experience in this field, my previous laptop died some time ago and I use my iPad for web browsing etc.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts