Media Music Player

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Hoping someone can help with this.

Is there a media music player, (own HDD or network NAS / USB, but not limited to streaming from a server), that has its own display, (no need to turn on TV), for about £200 - 400 that sounds as good as a similarly priced CD player, (even if just via digital out)?

Having looked around I think I know there isn't, but hope to be proved wrong!

Any info much appreciated.

BlackSpy

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd go for a Squeezebox of some description.

Not sure I undersatnd what you mean about 'not limited to sreaming from a server' though.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
BlackSpy:

I'd go for a Squeezebox of some description.

Not sure I undersatnd what you mean about 'not limited to sreaming from a server' though.

A Squeezebox is what you need. Sounds superb, simple to use. If you have an iPhone/iTouch a Sonos ZP90 would also work, adding the Sonos Controller so you can see what is playing will tip you over your budget.

Nick

John Duncan

Yah but a squeezebox is limited to streaming from a server......

Tricky - nobody's got it down pat yet (unless you fancy a Naim HDX for four grand), since practically everything requires a) a server elsewhere or b) a separate display. Do you have logistics problems with either?

The next best thing I can think of is maybe the most obvious - an iPod filled with lossless and a good quality dock (though unless you get the 300+ quid Wadia iTransport, you're stuck with the iPod's DAC, which has limitations).

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast:How 'bout an appleTV 160? More capacity than the classic, optical out, and control it all on the telly... *EDIT* Doh - missed the bit about no telly control...

Yeah but can't you control your Apple TV unit from a computer, wired or wirelessly anyway?

I'm still looking as well. With the same requirements as OP's. Only reason I have bought the Atv yet is the price point (for "only" 160GB). But I'm still tempted.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Actually yeah, add an Apple TV and an 8gig iPod Touch (as a remote) together and that comes out about the 430 quid mark.......

One expensive remote there...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Worth every penny...... Or a 20" LCD telly, alternatively....
emotion-2.gif

I know. I used to have a 32GB touch (v1). Sold it off just before the newer one got announced thus didn't lose too much money on it.

One of the best gadgets I have owned to date definitely.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah, I'd like to have the Naim or Linn solutions, but I just can't justify the price.

I actually run now with FLAC from a modified XBox, with all my songs on a NAS. It's just a nuisance booting everything up, and my girlfriend can't work it really. I've also noticed that while there's plenty of detail the music maybe doesn't "flow" quite as well as it could and sometimes feels as if it's being "held back", so an improvement in sound quality is alos a driver.

I've thought about the iPod and dock route and might go for it, though it sounds like the Wadia is the only real option. Are the others that don't grab the iPod's digital out not very good?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts