Media deliberately ignoring CD medium?

manicm

Among all the vinyl mania and hype SPIN very recently reported that CD sales (not sure if US only or worldwide) increased for the first time since 2004.

Quote in 2021 sales increased by 6.3% totalling near 109 million units, compared to 102.5m units in 2020.

This surge was apparently boosted by new releases from Adele, Taylor Swift etc. Which I have no problem with. I rather like Red (Taylor's Version).

CD still seems to be in rude health.

Among all the vinyl mania and hype SPIN very recently reported that CD sales (not sure if US only or worldwide) increased for the first time since 2004.

Quote in 2021 sales increased by 6.3% totalling near 109 million units, compared to 102.5m units in 2020.

This surge was apparently boosted by new releases from Adele, Taylor Swift etc. Which I have no problem with. I rather like Red (Taylor's Version).

I would not consider 6.3% as a surge, however try relating that to downloads and the figure might appear somewhat different. Having said that CDs are still the cheapest way to obtain a physical library that can be sold on if require and something I continue to buy..... Along with the superior SACD

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

I still favour the CD format. When Graham Norton promotes a new release by an artist he holds up a vinyl copy so are the record producers favouring the LP option because there is more money in it?

manicm

The media focus on the younger generation and if you mention CD to most of that generation you will just get a blank look, whereas vinyl has become a fashion so they are well into it.

Bill

Not necessarily, it's also out of ignorance. It took SPIN to commendably report this. And I'm sure the more serious hi-fi rags will report this too.

The 6.3% increase may not sound like much but it's significant for what's often reported as a dying medium.

Reactions: nopiano

DCarmi

UK sales in 2021 according to the BPI:
FormatSales 2021%increase on 2020
CD14 million-12%
LP5 million+10%
Cassette190 thousand+20%
The slump in CD sales is apparently showing signs of slowing.

Personally, 12 LPs and 3 CDs. Don't think I have bought a cassette since about 1988. I did play 1 cassette in 2021, mostly to see if the deck still worked, which it did. :)

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

UK sales in 2021 according to the BPI:
FormatSales 2021%increase on 2020
CD14 million-12%
LP5 million+10%
Cassette190 thousand+20%
The slump in CD sales is apparently showing signs of slowing.

Personally, 12 LPs and 3 CDs. Don't think I have bought a cassette since about 1988. I did play 1 cassette in 2021, mostly to see if the deck still worked, which it did. :)
Just shows the power of marketing/ fashion trends nostalgia.
I don't think many people would disagree that, all else being equal, CD is best for sound quality.

Reactions: GroeneLeeuw

DCarmi

I don't think many people would disagree that, all else being equal, CD is best for sound quality.
Possibly but most people don't and never have cared that much. Convenience is the key. CDs were always more convenient than LPs and streaming is much more convenient than either.

I like LPs most likely for nostalgic reasons. Listing to an LP feels more of an event. At least to me, anyway.
The difference in experience between CD and streaming feels much less.

Reactions: nopiano
I believe every format has its place in hi-fi.

When Graham Norton & other talk show hosts hold up a piece of vinyl rather CD is because a record is easier to pick up on the cameras. In this instance size does matter.

As long as CDPs are made by major companies, the format will remain.

Reactions: Al ears

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
I can understand why prefer the physical media, but it is no longer for me.

I do miss the physical artwork of LPs and CD liner notes, but I haven't bought either for at least 15 years. Streaming services seem to represent better value to me in the sense that I spend less a month on them than I did at peak physical medium purchase, and I get to listen to a lot more variety because of it.

Interesting thread.

Oxfordian

I can understand why prefer the physical media, but it is no longer for me.

I do miss the physical artwork of LPs and CD liner notes, but I haven't bought either for at least 15 years. Streaming services seem to represent better value to me in the sense that I spend less a month on them than I did at peak physical medium purchase, and I get to listen to a lot more variety because of it.

Interesting thread.

Now I am the complete opposite, I will stream music but not often and more of a way of finding out how a group/album/session sounds before I splash out some money.

I dislike not having something to show for my expenditure but accept that streaming does have a place in my listening set-up, albeit I find it un-involving.

I like the physical interaction of playing an LP or CD, I grew up with singles and LP’s as my main source of music, unless you count medium wave radio on a tiny transistor radio as a source, CD’s came along and I bought into those as vinyl took a back seat in most shops so delighted that many years on from buying my first LP’s I can still buy and listen to LP’s, and CD’s are still around which is great.

There are downsides, LP’s are very expensive compared to CD’s and even more so compared to streaming so I am more selective with purchases.

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
All this 'stream' goes to show, we never learn our lessons...

We, the listener, allowed vinyl to die by being brainwashed by the advertising world (not all of us but most) and CD became king. Who remembers being told CDs are indestructible? Now vinyl is king again and we're being told CD is on its way out... In ten-fifteen years time you could revisit this thread and insert vinyl where it says CD and vise versa.

I recently bought two cassettes, different artists; it was the only format offered other than digital download. Still sound great!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts