Media Center problem!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm trying to link my pc to my Sony LCD (KDL40W2000) via my av receiver (Sony STR-DA1200es). Last night I played and connected the pc to the receiver via a DVI to HDMI cable (using the receiver's DVD HDMI input). Nothing seemed to happen and I am flummoxed! Anybody out there that knows what I can do??? Cheers.

A

Anonymous

What do you mean exactly by "nothing seemed to happen"? Just no picture? I don't know anything about your receiver but on my Onkyo you need to manually tell it what input to use......

Have you tried connecting audio?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes, no picture. I haven't tried audio yet. I think I might have to change the monitor settings on my pc to tell it that the screen is 1920X1080 instead of what my 19" monitor was set as. I will try again tonight. Do use optical for sound? I plan to hook mine up to my Sony using optical and then to my Creek Evo stereo amp via jack to phono cable. That should cover all bases. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

You can get some very strange display things going on if the resolution settings are way off. Not sure why you'd get no picture at all though.

Yep I connect my pc to my Onkyo via optical. You don't say what graphics card you're using but be careful if it's an hd card that also outputs sound...unless you alter your settings in xp/vista there may be deathly silence...took me a while to figure that out when I upgraded my card!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have this one. To be honest, I don't know much about sound cards and the like. Do you think I should upgrade it or is this one ok?

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=16770

A

Anonymous

Well I guess it depends what you're happy with. To be honest I just use the onboard sound....which by the time it's gone through my receiver is more than good enough for watching downloaded movies/tv and listening to mp3's.

The problem I faced was that in modern graphics cards they can also output hd sound. You need a special adapter to output the sound through the DVI cable and in some cases this will override the default soundcard.

Anyway I'm probably just complicating things now! (I'm more a computer expert than an A/V expert!)

A

Anonymous

don't forget to go to the control panel, display, on your pc and change the display to monitor 2. Your graphics card supports 2 monitors doesnt it?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Waffey, you may have saved my smashing my receiver up!! I went into the control panel last night (I have disconnected internet at the moment so can only go online via Blackberry or when I get back to work) and tried to add a new monitor. I couldn't work out what to do but there was a large number 1 highlighted with a smaller number 2 in the background. Is this what you mean?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I was outputting to my monitor - I am selling it now. I want to just connect up to my LCD. I've been told that dvi to hdmi to the receiver will work but I have to change the settings from the graphics card so that it knows its working with a different monitor with a different resolution. I hope this works as I'm getting annoyed!

A

Anonymous

DVI-D to HDMI will work fine, all you should need to do is change the resolution in the settings of your graphics card (or through your OS, right-click on your desktop and select properties), and maybe select the LCD in the display drop down under the settings tab.

Sorry it's causing you hassle. I connected my pc via dvi-d to hdmi to my Onkyo and onto my plasma without any issues. I know that doesn't help much but just mean it should be a straightforward job!

If all else fails you could try connecting via S-Video, terrible picture but will at least let you know if things are set up properly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts