Matching an amp with Klipsch KG4s

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Klipsch KG4s from their original owner for a steal (under 400 with not a scratch on them). He purchased them in 1990 and never got into hifi the way he thought he would so they have only been used a handful of times, still has the original manuals and everything. The only thing is he was powering them with an 80 watt receiver and I know the speakers call for a 100 watt at 6 ohms.

Should I be wary of them and not purchase? Could there be damage by not powering them with a strong enough amp? I wouldn't think so, but I just wanted to be sure.

I am new to hifi, I grew up with my dad big into it with a nice Marantz 2245 and a good turntable with klipsch floor speakers to match. That being said, I have no equipment of my own. Would the KG4s be too much speaker for someone new to hifi?

Jim Licklider said:
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Klipsch KG4s from their original owner for a steal (under 400 with not a scratch on them). He purchased them in 1990 and never got into hifi the way he thought he would so they have only been used a handful of times, still has the original manuals and everything. The only thing is he was powering them with an 80 watt receiver and I know the speakers call for a 100 watt at 6 ohms.

Should I be wary of them and not purchase? Could there be damage by not powering them with a strong enough amp? I wouldn't think so, but I just wanted to be sure.

I am new to hifi, I grew up with my dad big into it with a nice Marantz 2245 and a good turntable with klipsch floor speakers to match. That being said, I have no equipment of my own. Would the KG4s be too much speaker for someone new to hifi?

As far as I remember these speakers were very efficient (94dB ???) and nominally 6 ohm, not difficult to drive. Some people use them with low output tube amps but others use 85 wpc so wouldn't suggest you want anything like a 100wpc amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts