Matching amp to speakers

vickyz75

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I am considering purchasing Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (8ohm, 100w, sensitivity 90dB) and Onkyo A-9010 integrated amp (8ohm, RMS 88w - so thats 44w/ch) to power them. The room that they will be used in is 15ft x 10ft ish. I dont need masses of volume to appreciate my music, but having heard such good things about these speakers, I want the amp still to do them justice (and we all like to crank it just a little from time to time!)

I have been reading different (and somewhat confusing!) things about matching the power of amps to the power of speakers so I'm hoping for a straightforward opinion - do you think that this amp will be a good match for these speakers?

Thank you

insider9

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have heard these 2 together and they go together well. There won't be any problems with volume in that sized room.

They will sound rather bright though so it's best you audition before you buy.

Happy to second insider9's advice, as the match is absolutely fine. The power rating of a speaker is simply the maximum it will withstand, not a recommended quantity.

Completely agree that you should try to listen first. You wouldn't choose wallpaper over the phone, so don't choose speakers from the spec!

matthewpiano

My Dad has this very combination and it works beautifully. It doesn't sound bright, but finds a good neutral ground with plenty of detail and open treble, but also nice warmth. We watched the Last Night Of The Proms through it this year, and the scale the Onkyo/MA combination achieved without any sense of strain was impressive.

vickyz75

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Appreciate the responses, thankyou very much. Cant listen in person before I buy as I live on a tiny wee island in the sun and have to order online without trying it out! These responses are enough for me to go and give Amazon my money right now, thanks again, good people of the HiFi kind!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Totally agree with Matthewpiano - Onkyo/Bronze combination -If you get it let us all know what you think.

good luck - wiggy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts