Marillion

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well as a couple of people mentioned them the other day, and I kind of remember them from when Fish was the lead singer, I checked their website and I'm getting a free trial CD. Fingers crossed that it sounds good.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I love the Fish era stuff. and recently bought all the remasters... But I still cant get on with the current lineup. ;(

The sad thing for me is that I cant get on with Fish Solo stuff either... double ;(

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:I love the Fish era stuff. and recently bought all the remasters... But I still cant get on with the current lineup. ;(

The sad thing for me is that I cant get on with Fish Solo stuff either... double ;(

Let's see then. Funny but I heard a tune with a Marillion sample today, think it was from Misplaced Childhood album.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Nice one.
Add the remastered Clutching at straws, Fugazi and Script for a Jesters tear and you'll be laughing. :)

(in fact although I love all the Fish era albums, my least favourite is Misplaced Chilhood)
My favourite now is Clutching at straws. The opening of Hotel Hobbies, Warm Wet Circles and That Time of The Night (which lead into each other) make me want to cry they are so perfect...) In fact I just had to put it on!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have them all somewhere on vinyl - the freebie is more new stuff i think from marbles, somewhere else and brave - albums that i have never bought or listened to - actually may have brave somewhere now you got me thinking

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:i have them all somewhere on vinyl - the freebie is more new stuff i think from marbles, somewhere else and brave - albums that i have never bought or listened to - actually may have brave somewhere now you got me thinking
Brave is a good album... A good album that has had about 4 listens since I got it when it was released... ;(

T

the record spot

Marillion - gosh that takes me back. Saw them at the Nite Club, which was a small gigs room in the Edinburgh Playhouse back in November 1982 - this was just after the Market Square Heroes 12" had come out and just a couple of months before "Script..." was released. Top gig. tiny stage though. Fish looked like he was going to bump his head off the lights....!

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Bit late to enter this thread as i was out last night
emotion-2.gif
Anyhow "the record spot" I remember seeing them in Bristol about that time also...Seem to remeber Fish was face painted quite heavily and the audience (early hard core followers i guess) were doing an impression of an elephants trunk and asking him to throw them a bun???? What was all that about...anyone??

This world is totally Fugazi! and Fr0g, if you aint already check out Fish Green Gods and Zippos...Nice Bass

Cheers

T

the record spot

Q - "How does an elephant ask for a bun?"

(one arm elongated in front of face, sticking out and wavign hand around)

A - "Gies a bun!" (geeza bun)

Hence "Gies-a-bun, gies a bun, gies a bun....".

Admittedly, you probably had to be there, but unquestionably a concert classic!
emotion-1.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Pike900fish:

This world is totally Fugazi! and Fr0g, if you aint already check out Fish Green Gods and Zippos...Nice Bass

Cheers

You see, the bass isn't really what I would look for in an album. For me, in the early days, Fish sang with an intensity, and an emotion that he has now lost.
He has also now changed his vocal style to something that sounds irritatingly more american...

I bought his first 2 solo albums, and in fact his last "13th Star", and while I quite like them in a way, "quite like" isn't really the response I want to be having... ;)

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
What do you guys think of the bonus disc in 2 cd remastered version of Clutching at Straws?

I'm a bit out of touch with Marillion history but I remember reading that Fish scrapped his first version of lyrics for the album and started again as he wasn't happy with them.

Is that right and if so are some of those original versions of the tracks on the bonus disc?

A

Anonymous

Great band still - I stopped buying after 'Season's End', then bought 'This Stange Engine' as it was in a sale, with a few good tracks - and nothing else until about 2 years ago. I then won tickets to see them in Newcastle and immediately snapped up what I had missed in the back catalogue.

I would recommend Marbles (2CD version), Brave, Anoraknophobia (really! it's a pun on their fans being anoraks), Somewhere Else and Afraid of Sunlight of the post Fish releases - in that order of merit.

The Fish era stands proud - with some great remastered versions with extra tracks. I still have 'Garden Party' 12" vinyl somewhere from 1983.

For a band who run their own 'label' and the fans stump funds upfront for CDs to be recorded, or even tour the US at one point - they are amazing.

Your sampler will be great. For a one track listen - check out 'Neverland' from Marbles - amazing guitar solo.

emotion-1.gif

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:
I would recommend Marbles (2CD version), Brave, Anoraknophobia (really! it's a pun on their fans being anoraks), Somewhere Else and Afraid of Sunlight of the post Fish releases - in that order of merit.
For a band who run their own 'label' and the fans stump funds upfront for CDs to be recorded, or even tour the US at one point - they are amazing.

emotion-1.gif

I agree toatally with these sentiments and I'm sure that Happiness is the Road will be worth the £30 I paid for it back in December, now counting down the days to receiving it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok. having just listened to Afraid of Sunlight (and quite enjoying it), I am giving them another chance ;).
Just ordered the 2 CD version of Marbles, and pre-ordered the Happiness is the Road discs (although I went for the cheapskate standard CDs for a £10 each rather than the fancy box (which wont fit in my case) for £30 ;)

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Good to hear your enjoying it sir, nothing wrong with the cheapskate option and at least you know the money is going to the band, there's copy of Script for a jesters tear in my local second hand music shop, must get around to checking if it's the one I alredy have.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
sensei_russ:What do you guys think of the bonus disc in 2 cd remastered version of Clutching at Straws?

I'm a bit out of touch with Marillion history but I remember reading that Fish scrapped his first version of lyrics for the album and started again as he wasn't happy with them.

Is that right and if so are some of those original versions of the tracks on the bonus disc?

Ah, indeed, there are a few (original?) versions, and some unreleased stuff. It's really interesting (and I am glad I bought the remaster), but unfortunately the recording quality is generally pretty poor (which they mention in the booklet).

A

Anonymous

fr0g:Ok. having just listened to Afraid of Sunlight (and quite enjoying it), I am giving them another chance ;).
Just ordered the 2 CD version of Marbles, and pre-ordered the Happiness is the Road discs (although I went for the cheapskate standard CDs for a £10 each rather than the fancy box (which wont fit in my case) for £30 ;)

You will love 'Marbles' fr0g. 'Neverland', 'Ocean Cloud', 'Fantastic Place' and 'The Invisible Man' - total classics, the rest are great too.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
fr0g:Ok. having just listened to Afraid of Sunlight (and quite enjoying it), I am giving them another chance ;).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Apologies for quoting myself as its a bit naff... however...
Got my Marbles (2CD) yesterday, and have finally managed to give it a proper listen...
What a great (double) album!

Some excellent, excellent stuff here. Really superb, and undervalued album.

...Angelina just came on... what a great song...! Forget the 3 minute nonsense, this is just superb, even if the guitar reminds me a little of Chris Isaak!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts