MarantzCD/PM 6003 & DALI Lektor II vs CA 550 CD/amp & Wharfendale 10.1 for jazz?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings, audiophiles! Right now choosing between the two systems: MarantzCD/PM 6003 & DALI Lektor II or CA 550 CD/amp & Wharfendale 10.1 (or other speakers within the same budget).

The system is a present so I'd like to know which one is ideally better for playing jazz, classical music and piano records.

Any opinions? Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For me it would be the Marantz....just don't put the Dalis too close to the wall (according to the two reviews I've read).

The 10.1s should also work with the Marantz if need be (Nb. Superfi are selling the 9.1 for £100).

A

Anonymous

Krimgold said:
Greetings, audiophiles! Right now choosing between the two systems: MarantzCD/PM 6003 & DALI Lektor II or CA 550 CD/amp & Wharfendale 10.1 (or other speakers within the same budget).

The system is a present so I'd like to know which one is ideally better for playing jazz, classical music and piano records.

Any opinions? Thanks!
I used to use the 6003 combination (still use the cd and the amp is my back up). Ideal for jazz and gentler acoustic music, not so good with hip hop or heavy rock. Mid range is the main strength so horns in particular sound very nice. I listen to a lot of 60s jazz such as Coltrane, Hubbard, Hancock, Dolphy etc. Not heard the speakers, I used with MA RX6

matthewpiano

The Marantz. Superb for acoustic music of all kinds. Currently listening to solo piano music on mine now and it sounds superb (and I'm fussy about piano sound as I'm a pianist and sell pianos for a living).

The Wharfedale 9.1s are stunning value at £99 and work brilliantly with the 6003s (I've got a pair which I have tried with the Marantz electronics and found it very enjoyable as a combination). For a step up in speakers, the Monitor Audio BX2s are excellent. They sound very natural and involving with the Marantz gear and have plenty of scale for big orchestral music too. Are they worth more than double the price of the Diamond 9.1s? In my opinion, no.

For what it's worth I've tried pretty much every amp under £500, and I don't think anything else comes close to the Marantz for classical, jazz and acoustic music until you start looking at the new Rega Brio-R.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
For me it would be the Marantz....just don't put the Dalis too close to the wall (according to the two reviews I've read).

The 10.1s should also work with the Marantz if need be (Nb. Superfi are selling the 9.1 for £100).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for an authoritative opinion. Do Monitor Audio BX2 sound with Marantz in the mentioned janres better than Dali Lektor? Actually in my country they are almost of the same price. MA are even cheaper.

And what cables can you recommend for the system?

matthewpiano

Lektor 2s are great little speakers but they can lack a little openess depending on their positioning. I don't think there is much to choose between those and the MAs to be honest.

I'd still suggest the Wharfedales (either 9.1 or 10.1) as the best balance of performance per pound in this situation.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Can't speak for the 2's against a wall but I have the 1's wall mounted (the 2's have the same simple screw wall mount) and sound far better than standed to my ears as long as you give a good foot from the side walls. Sublime.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Meant to add before my mobile screwed up that I can't "do" heavy bass due to neighbours but for me they are sublime, and sound truly wonderful with acoustics and vocals. If you don't need bass AND don't have a large room to fill I would also consider having a listen to these as well.

A

Anonymous

Can You please specify what exactly is "not a large room"? In my case it's 18 sq. m. or 195 sq. feet. I guess it's not a large one, right?

A

Anonymous

I would also appreciate very much some advice on cable choosing for Marantz-DALI combination. Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Krimgold said:
I would also appreciate very much some advice on cable choosing for Marantz-DALI combination. Thanks!

My recommendations from here (post 13) still stand:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nice-hi-fi-system-for-a-present-up-to-1500-usd

A

Anonymous

Thaks. Some other marantz users and jazz listeners at other forums were also pointing at copper cables so I think I'll start with the Atlas Element.

Thanks everyone for participating! You were extremely helpful!

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Can't speak for the 2's against a wall but I have the 1's wall mounted (the 2's have the same simple screw wall mount) and sound far better than standed to my ears as long as you give a good foot from the side walls. Sublime.

I have Lektor 1's as well (also wall mounted). Sounded way more musical to my ears than the 2's (comparing both on stands with good Cambridge gear). There seemed to be something just not quite right with the midrange on the 2's whereas the 1's are perfectly balanced across the whole frequency range.

So maybe have a listen to the 1's (and Zensor 1?) before committing.

Compared to the Dalis, the Whafedales are less clear and precise. They have a more coloured sound, though they are an enjoyable listen in their own way.

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll echo the calls for the Marantz. I had Lektor 6's with mine (althought the PM8003), until I moved to a smaller apartment. Went very well with the genres you listen to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts