New stereo system (urgent please)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a man of ... [H], I am new in the Hi Fi world and I would appreciate your opinion. I have been reading the What Hi Fi and a local magazine for some 6 months now with the intention of informing my self since I am intending to purchase a new stereo system, cd player amp and bookshelf speakers for starts to be followed with tuner and connected to Technics SL-D3 turntable. My budget is around (not much higher) EUR 1500 (GBP 1.253), system will be placed in the room of some 20 square meters (215 square feet) positioned close to the wall (on a shelf which is 40 cm, or 1.2 feet deep) some 4 meters (12 feet) from the sitting position. Music of preference is classic rock, blues, jazz, hard rock and to a smaller degree reggae (also I like to feel some bass however it is not my prime consideration).

Had an opportunity to audition creek evo 2 amp and cd in combination with epos m12 speakers last night, which I can get on a superb deal (with MM card for some EUR 1,660 or GBP 1,387) but the offer is good until Friday so I would appreciate responses ASAP. And I have liked the overall presentation, however it did lack some warmth, than again please have in mind that I am still green and I might be wrong in other words this lack of warmth might be a wrong impression, hope to solw it in audition which will be held in my appartmant.

Unfortunately Hi Fi market is still underdeveloped here so there is an issue with availability of equipment and prices. My second audition shall be tonight and I am planning to listen to Marantz CD 6003 and Yamaha AS 500 together with Kef Q300 (Yamaha AS 500, Marantz PM and CD 6003 are all EUR 450 or GBP 376, Kef Q300 is EUR 550 or GBP 459). Also I am considering Kef Q100 (EUR 450 GBP 376), wharfedale diamond 10.1 (EUR 228 GBP 190) and Dali lector 1 (EUR 300, GBP 250) or 2 (EUR 358 GBP 300) which are all priced lower than kef q 300. All in all second option should be cheaper than Creek one (depending on speakers it would be GBP 175 (kef q300) or even some GBP 385 in case of Dali lector 1).

In conclusion I have following questions:
is the first system worth the extra cash which close to wall speakers would you recommend in the second system or even instead of epos m 12’s do you have any other suggestions (audiolab 8000 s amp is EUR 635 GBP 530 for example, CA is also present, NAD, Mission, Onkyo, JBL, Tannoy, Pioneer)
Thank you all for your help

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I think the Creek/Epos system is well worth very serious consideration: for obvious reasons it all works together extremely well. As an alternative you may want to wait and have a listen to the Creeks with the new Epos Epic speakers - I haven't heard them as yet, but since they have been specifically designed for close-to-wall use they may be of interest.

The Marantz player/Yamaha amp/KEF Q300s should also work together extremely well, but really it's down to you to have a listen to the system and decide whether it does what you want, and whether the Creek/Epos does it sufficiently better to justify the extra cost. I suspect the answer to the latter question will be yes, but it's really down to your personal tastes and preferences.

A

Anonymous

First of all thank you for your quick response. I would be more than prepared to wait however I;ll have to ask the local Creek guy when or if they are expecting them (he is the only importer) in th emean time what is your opinion relating to positioning Epos M12 this close to wall?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, the M12 is rear-ported, so it wouldn't be my first choice for use close to a rear wall, although the foam bungs supplied will help no end. They'll sound better with 30cm+ of space between them and the wall.

A

Anonymous

Thank you again Andrew.

Does any one have opinion relating to Creek evo2 combo together with Kef q300 or Dali Icon 1?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

and whether the Creek/Epos does it sufficiently better to justify the extra cost. I suspect the answer to the latter question will be yes, but it's really down to your personal tastes and preferences.

Yesterday I had an opportunity to test Marantz PM and CD 6003 combo as well as KEF Q 300, well I was skeptical that the difference could be that big when compared to Creek which should be the next level, and whose price is not that different I was wrong
emotion-16.gif
. The difference in build quality is undeniable the feeling of plastic is overwhelming and the sound is, well I hope that I can put this to words, undefined, not focused all over the place. Speakers appear to be well build and I would love to try and pair them with creek but they are sold by different stores. Also I am concerned how the even larger speaker would bear the shallow book shelf (with 30 cm of depth) or is this 10 cm enough (if yes I could try negotiate test)? Would quad 11l or 9l go well together with Creek and can they play near the wall?

Thanks

BTW seller was first supprised that somebody born in 1980 should listen to pink floyd and zeppelin and than he sad that even cheaper system would be best (yamaha 300 cd player paired with yamaha as 500 amp and Canton speakers) since better system would emphasize the flaws of rock?

A

Anonymous

First of all I decided to take the advice of my good friend and do not rush in to purchase of the creek evo + epos m 12 system. Since then I had an opportunity to test:
1. marantz pm and cd 6003 together with kef q 300
2. cambridge audio cd and amp 650 together with dali lector ii
3. and rotel 05 amp together with rotel cd 05 and marantz pm 6003 and focal 705 and 706 speakers

First of all I was surprised how better marantz cd player sounded together however creek evo combo is still the best, especially if we take in to account the price issue.

My question is did anybody had opportunity to test focal or dali speakers with creek evo 2 combo, also would 706 be appropriate having in mind space restrictions and speakers size (Dimensions: 390H X 222W X 248D mm) , have to admit that I liked them much more than 705 which might be a smarter choice?

On top of this does anybody have any opinion relating to JBL ES30 or JBL L830 speakers, having in mind the previous, especially room size, and would you recommend dennon pma 710 amp and cd ?

Thank you beforehand

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I think Epos Mi series, Kef IQ series, Focal 700 series all lack some warm impression, they are hiperdetalied speakers. I would try rather Dali Lektor 2 or 3, they are beautiful smooth sounding speakers, good pair with Rotel, Marantz, C.A.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts