Marantz upgrade??

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a PM5004 paired with CA S70 floorstanders and am looking to upgrade.

Am looking at PM6004's and was wondering how significant an improvement they would give in my set up?
Have also seen a PM7001 really cheap on ebay and again was wondering how good they would be....

Or

Should i look to upgrade my speakers instead/aswell

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Biggest bang for buck is always speakers. Not that all amps sound alike: anyone who thinks they do has clearly just been privileged enough to have only heard good ones. But I doubt you'd notice earth-shattering difference between the 5004 and 6004, to be honest.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Biggest bang for buck is always speakers. Not that all amps sound alike: anyone who thinks they do has clearly just been privileged enough to have only heard good ones. But I doubt you'd notice earth-shattering difference between the 5004 and 6004, to be honest.

hmmm food for thought - i was under the impression that a better amp would bring out the best in my speakers

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you will find much difference between the 5004 and 6004 either. As for cheap floorstanders I would avoid, I would upgrade your speakers first then think about an amp, either a used one or something new in the £500+ range.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
knaithrover said:
MajorFubar said:

hmmm food for thought - i was under the impression that a better amp would bring out the best in my speakers

Yes but there is hardly any difference between those amps, for an improvement I think you need to be looking at something like a Creek 50A, RK K2 and Arcam A19.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
knaithrover said:
MajorFubar said:

Yes but there is hardly any difference between those amps, for an improvement I think you need to be looking at something like a Creek 50A, RK K2 and Arcam A19.

Good point but then i suppose i would have to upgrade my speakers to do the amp justice wouldnt i?

T

the record spot

The stock PM7001 (i.e. the non-KI version) enjoyed a good write up when it came out. I think John Duncan on here had one for a while. From memory it's around 70w? If you can get that for a good price then it's worth considering. If you were looking to change speakers (I've no experience of the S70), then another Cambridge pairing in the new Aero 2 at £350 might tick the boxes. New-ish technology, but this month's review in Hifi World was very positive.

Other considerations are how big a room space you have, how loud do you want to go, do you want to consider adding digital services or sources in time.... Just some stuff to mull over. May or may not be relevant.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
knaithrover said:
BigH said:
knaithrover said:
MajorFubar said:

Good point but then i suppose i would have to upgrade my speakers to do the amp justice wouldnt i?

Yes & no.

When new, my amps were worth almost £1500 - I bought used so paid nowhere near that - and they're driving a pair of £300 speakers. On paper a large mismatch budget-wise. I am aware that when the time comes I should get even more from a pair of £1000+ speakers, but it hasn't stopped me thoroughly enjoying what I currently have for the last few years though.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My feeling is that at this price point upgrading the amp can often make a bigger difference than the speakers, but I don't think you'd get a worthwhile step up in performance moving to the 6004. Try the KI Pearl Lite if you want to stick with Marantz or the Creek 50A, Roksan Kandy or Arcam a19 mentioned above. You may want to later upgrade your speakers but those you have will in the mean time benefit.

kefrdm2

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I suppose it depends on how much it costs you to upgrade it - think if it was £50-£100 it might be worth it as the PM6004 is a much better amp in my opinion. Possibly worth looking at a PM7200 original or KI on ebay though as that was a cracking amp and better than the PM7001 from what I can remember. Suspect they still might be quite expensive though as I had a PM7200ki about 5 years ago and sold it for a really good price on ebay when I upgraded.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
The stock PM7001 (i.e. the non-KI version) enjoyed a good write up when it came out. I think John Duncan on here had one for a while. From memory it's around 70w? If you can get that for a good price then it's worth considering. If you were looking to change speakers (I've no experience of the S70), then another Cambridge pairing in the new Aero 2 at £350 might tick the boxes. New-ish technology, but this month's review in Hifi World was very positive.

Other considerations are how big a room space you have, how loud do you want to go, do you want to consider adding digital services or sources in time.... Just some stuff to mull over. May or may not be relevant.

There's a PM7001 on ebay currently at £150 and that to me sounds like a decent deal based on the reviews i've read. My S70's are pretty good actually but as i am (reasonably) new to this i have little to compare them to - apart from my new BA25's which are better but not by much.

My room is 13' x 10' and i listen mainly on medium volume not LOUD but not quiet either. I am pretty happy (currently) with my source which is mainly Spotify via a laptop streamed to my amp using a rather wonderful HP Wireless Audio transmitter.

I must say i like the look of the new CA's you mention - i hadn't actually seen them before

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
kefrdm2 said:
I suppose it depends on how much it costs you to upgrade it - think if it was £50-£100 it might be worth it as the PM6004 is a much better amp in my opinion. Possibly worth looking at a PM7200 original or KI on ebay though as that was a cracking amp and better than the PM7001 from what I can remember. Suspect they still might be quite expensive though as I had a PM7200ki about 5 years ago and sold it for a really good price on ebay when I upgraded.

The PM6004 is currently selling at £199 on ebay (new) and bearing in mind i could prob sell my 5004 for around a ton it wouldnt be a big cost.

I must say although i like buying new the idea of buying higher end kit second hand is very appealing.....and could become addictive

T

the record spot

£150 for the 7001 seems like a fair price especially if the condition is good or better. I think it went for around £350 when it came out. I saw the Cambridge speakers in Glasgow recently and thought they looked like they could be a good option. I'm not looking for a new speaker just now (albeit they're too big for my current space anyway) but they have a real wood finish I think and the BMR technology is fairly recent (last twenty years or so according to the HFW review). Seeing as Marantz amps are often slightly leaner in the sound, I think this might make a decent partnership with the bassier Aero 2.

And for £500 all in, that's a pretty decent return. Assuming you wanted to go down that route of course!

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
£150 for the 7001 seems like a fair price especially if the condition is good or better. I think it went for around £350 when it came out. I saw the Cambridge speakers in Glasgow recently and thought they looked like they could be a good option. I'm not looking for a new speaker just now (albeit they're too big for my current space anyway) but they have a real wood finish I think and the BMR technology is fairly recent (last twenty years or so according to the HFW review). Seeing as Marantz amps are often slightly leaner in the sound, I think this might make a decent partnership with the bassier Aero 2.

And for £500 all in, that's a pretty decent return. Assuming you wanted to go down that route of course!

I must say i am looking to upgrade one or the other (amp or speaker) but am obviously looking for the biggest improvement i can get 1st.

I actually really like my CA70/Marantz combo but as it is pretty much my 1st 'proper' system i'm itching to see if i can improve things

D

Deleted member 108165

I would defintely say that the difference between the 5004 and the 6004 will not be significant in any way at all.

Speaking as someone who asked advice on here quite recently regarding a Marantz upgrade, (PM/CD6004 to PM/SA KI Pearl Lite), and then went on to buy with my heart instead of my head, (and against the advice given to me here); I bought the Pearl Lite CD/Amp package. I was very disappointed at the difference between the PM/CD6004 and their Pearl Lite stablemates; it was bordering on very insignificant indeed.

I am still running-in the Pearl Lites, (if a run-in period actually exists and is not just a familiarisation effect). However, I am starting to notice a subtle difference as time goes by; this pairing does seem to control my RX2's better and I am hearing details in music which I did not hear with the PM6004.

So go with the better amp, not the PM6004. I should have possibly gone with the Creek amp.......only time will tell in my case.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
I would defintely say that the difference between the 5004 and the 6004 will not be significant in any way at all.

Speaking as someone who asked advice on here quite recently regarding a Marantz upgrade, (PM/CD6004 to PM/SA KI Pearl Lite), and then went on to buy with my heart instead of my head, (and against the advice given to me here); I bought the Pearl Lite CD/Amp package. I was very disappointed at the difference between the PM/CD6004 and their Pearl Lite stablemates; it was bordering on very insignificant indeed.

I am still running-in the Pearl Lites, (if a run-in period actually exists and is not just a familiarisation effect). However, I am starting to notice a subtle difference as time goes by; this pairing does seem to control my RX2's better and I am hearing details in music which I did not hear with the PM6004.

So go with the better amp, not the PM6004. I should have possibly gone with the Creek amp.......only time will tell in my case.

Ok thanks for the advice - you may have saved me a few quid - I must admit i am starting to think about new speakers and keep the amp for the time being - Dali Zensor possibly

D

Deleted member 108165

You know if you lived close-by I would gladly lend you my PM6004 for a few weeks. The 6004 is a cracking amp for the money, it's full of spit, swagger and clarity; it astounded me when I first got it, (my first purchase in over 20 years), but I guess to all intents and purposes it will not be too disimilar to the 5004 in performance.

I know the predicament that you find yourself in, which way to turn for the best?

For me personally the next logical upgrade was towards the Pearl Lites and as each day goes by with regular use they are becoming a much more acceptable upgrade. The only comparison I can utilise here is with headphones: I started with some Grado SR80i's and was enthralled with their detail, however, I then purchased some Senn HD598's and was blown away by their sound, but more recently I took the plunge on some Senn HD650's and now there is no turning back. They aren't as much "fun" as the HD598's but wow are they sublime headphones. In a nustshell the 598/650 comparison is the difference between the 6004 and the Pearl Lites.

I've made many mistakes over the last 18 months or so purchasing equipment semi-blind by using the online reviews like WHF etc, but never actually auditioning anything before purchase. I sold my original BX2's to my sister and these speakers totally rejuvenated her 1980's Aiwa system; I then went on to purchase BX5's, (wonderful speaker), and then finally onto the RX2's, (sound great with the Pearl Lites).

Sorry to waffle-on.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
You know if you lived close-by I would gladly lend you my PM6004 for a few weeks. The 6004 is a cracking amp for the money, it's full of spit, swagger and clarity; it astounded me when I first got it, (my first purchase in over 20 years), but I guess to all intents and purposes it will not be too disimilar to the 5004 in performance.

I know the predicament that you find yourself in, which way to turn for the best?

For me personally the next logical upgrade was towards the Pearl Lites and as each day goes by with regular use they are becoming a much more acceptable upgrade. The only comparison I can utilise here is with headphones: I started with some Grado SR80i's and was enthralled with their detail, however, I then purchased some Senn HD598's and was blown away by their sound, but more recently I took the plunge on some Senn HD650's and now there is no turning back. They aren't as much "fun" as the HD598's but wow are they sublime headphones. In a nustshell the 598/650 comparison is the difference between the 6004 and the Pearl Lites.

I've made many mistakes over the last 18 months or so purchasing equipment semi-blind by using the online reviews like WHF etc, but never actually auditioning anything before purchase. I sold my original BX2's to my sister and these speakers totally rejuvenated her 1980's Aiwa system; I then went on to purchase BX5's, (wonderful speaker), and then finally onto the RX2's, (sound great with the Pearl Lites).

Sorry to waffle-on.

i think you've hit the nail on the head with buying 'blind' - i live in the North East of England and there is a dearth of Hifi retailers around here - There is a Richer Sounds 5mins away from me but they have zero interest in letting people audition kit, i won't go in there at all now they are soooo bad. I would definitely go for the 6004 if i knew for definite they would be a decent improvement on what i have but it seems the concensus is that it isnt that much better than the 5004 i already own.

I have seen some Dali Zensors at £159 in the sales and i'm seriously tempted to go down that route.

Thanks for the offer of the loan btw where do you live? As i said i'm in the North East just outside Middlesbrough...

D

Deleted member 108165

Unfortunately I'm a southerner - live in Essex; sorry on both counts,(for living so far away and for living in Essex:) )

I've got a brilliant retailer near me, Sevenoaks SAV, great guys but they've never got what I want to audition in stock, so I've always been forced to purchase blind from the cheapest online retailer. I said I'd made mistakes but I think that is a little harsh as really I've been reasonably lucky as everything that I've purchased I've been happy with; it's just that I caught the upgradeitis bug over the last year and it's a B to shake-off. But with my most recent purchases I'm sure I've cured it for good!

Go with the Dali's, I'm sure there will be difference in performance, and hopefully it will be very positive :) I know when I connected the BX2's to my sisters old system I was astounded by the difference they made, (I actually gave her that system back in the 80's, kinda wished I hadn't when I heard it through the BX2's :) ). I also loved the BX5's and the current RX2's, I know they're not the same make as you are considering but I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.

Please report back with your conclusions on the Dali's.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
Unfortunately I'm a southerner - live in Essex; sorry on both counts,(for living so far away and for living in Essex:) )

I've got a brilliant retailer near me, Sevenoaks SAV, great guys but they've never got what I want to audition in stock, so I've always been forced to purchase blind from the cheapest online retailer. I said I'd made mistakes but I think that is a little harsh as really I've been reasonably lucky as everything that I've purchased I've been happy with; it's just that I caught the upgradeitis bug over the last year and it's a B to shake-off. But with my most recent purchases I'm sure I've cured it for good!

Go with the Dali's, I'm sure there will be difference in performance, and hopefully it will be very positive :) I know when I connected the BX2's to my sisters old system I was astounded by the difference they made, (I actually gave her that system back in the 80's, kinda wished I hadn't when I heard it through the BX2's :) ). I also loved the BX5's and the current RX2's, I know they're not the same make as you are considering but I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.

Please report back with your conclusions on the Dali's.

I worked down in Essex in the 80's and loved every minute!!!

I will let you know how i get on with the Dali's and i'm positive a new amp will follow in a coupla months...upgraditis eh

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts