Marantz UD7007 - Universal Player - Fussy Disc Reader

• Thread starter the record spot
  • Start date
T

the record spot

Just a quickie, but does anyone else out there have this player? I picked this up last week but in that time have noticed that while the performance is excellent, it's a damn fussy disc player. It's failed to read several discs in that time - Billy Joel's "The Stranger" SACD-only disc (which is a problem as it's supposed to read SACDs). As it's an SACD only disc, there's no redbook layer to read; oops! Bought the new Cherry Red Hawkwind reissue for Warrior On the Edge of Time and it didn't recognise it all - standard redbook. Another went the same way the other day too. All of these discs play flawlessly on my other players.

Come on Marantz, how difficult is it? You've been knocking out disc spinners for years, what's the Hampden here?!? This was a £1000 player on release, heavily discounted now.....rather suspect I'll be shifting over to the Cambridge 752BD. I want to get rid of the other players and rely on one, not maintain an extra player because the Marantz can't read a sinigifcant percentage of my discs.

Meh....sort it out Marantz! :poke:

D

Deleted member 2457

the record spot said:
Just a quickie, but does anyone else out there have this player? I picked this up last week but in that time have noticed that while the performance is excellent, it's a damn fussy disc player. It's failed to read several discs in that time - Billy Joel's "The Stranger" SACD-only disc (which is a problem as it's supposed to read SACDs). As it's an SACD only disc, there's no redbook layer to read; oops! Bought the new Cherry Red Hawkwind reissue for Warrior On the Edge of Time and it didn't recognise it all - standard redbook. Another went the same way the other day too. All of these discs play flawlessly on my other players.

Come on Marantz, how difficult is it? You've been knocking out disc spinners for years, what's the Hampden here?!? This was a £1000 player on release, heavily discounted now.....rather suspect I'll be shifting over to the Cambridge 752BD. I want to get rid of the other players and rely on one, not maintain an extra player because the Marantz can't read a sinigifcant percentage of my discs.

Cambridge Audio 751 was just as bad in my experience, I ended up with the Oppo 103.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Although I think my problem is slightly different to yours I'll mention it on this thread anyway.

I have the older UD5005, while I can't fault its video and audio performance I do have issues with it occasionally not reading some DVD/Bluray discs (probably does it with audio disc too but I don't use them very often). But in my case I insert the disc and it makes a funny noise (sounds like the laser gets stuck) and the player crashes and you have to reboot by pulling the power, not very impressive for what was a £500 player. Its certainly put me off buying another Marantz model which is a shame as I like Marantz.

manicm

gel said:
the record spot said:

Cambridge Audio 751 was just as bad in my experience, I ended up with the Oppo 103.

How so? I have it and have had no problems, but then I only have 1 or 2 SACDs. It sounds good, but as a CD player it's not superior to my Solo Mini.

I even got a 500gb HDD to work - on its rear USB port.

Back to recordspot - I do hope your Marantz gets sorted because I suspect the 752 will also not beat the UD7007 on pure sound terms, and probably not in picture quality either.

D

Deleted member 2457

manicm said:
gel said:
the record spot said:

How so? I have it and have had no problems, but then I only have 1 or 2 SACDs. It sounds good, but as a CD player it's not superior to my Solo Mini.

I even got a 500gb HDD to work - on its rear USB port.

Back to recordspot - I do hope your Marantz gets sorted because I suspect the 752 will also not beat the UD7007 on pure sound terms, and probably not in picture quality either.

The Cambridge Audio player I ended up with could barely work, it would just freeze on anything. I sent it back.

T

the record spot

Thanks guys. It's irritating, I'll give you that. I bought it based on the Marantz pedigree and review feedback which is generally glowing. I'm taking mine back as it's not sitting level (and the feet aren't adjustable), but will mention this to the store in Saturday morning. I'll run several discs but of the dozen or so that I've played so far, three have been knocked back. Not good.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Before you do that try this

with no disc in press and hold play and forward track together on the front of the player for a few seconds and that will factory reboot (not losing the firmware)

It will say "initializing" then "initialized" when its done

this is what they recommend as a first thing to do if you have a playback issue as it could be a glitch thats easily fixed.

I have had a couple of playback issues - 2 blu rays both 3D and the first time the machine played them - after that plays fine everytime,

the occaisonal dvd disc has not started - and a power off and on again has fixed it. I am in the process of speaking to Marantz about it funny enough but it could be a common thing that needsa firmware fix

99.9% of everything I play in it works perfectly. I have found if there is an issue a power down and power back up fixes it.

Since I have done the "Initializing" its not happened... but I only did this the other day.

T

the record spot

Thanks for the tip.

However...(sorry!), I'd expect a player that's cost me over £500 to do what my old £100 Sony and current £120 Panasonic can do at a stroke. The Sony played SACD too without a hitch. There is no way I should have to switch the power off then switch it back on just to play a DVD.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I agree with that - but I am just explaining my experience. If I had the problems from the off such as you I would be looking to return it as well.

That is not the case I have had the player 8 months and its not played a disc a few times but not a huge amount. I have contacted them though as I expect perfect playback same as you.

As I say since doing the reinitialization they suggest its been perfect - so far, so its worth a try before all the grief of returning it.If the foot is odd a bit of cardboard or maybe loosen the screw holding the foot a touch might lower it enough to make it level

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think Marantz cdp are generally fussy. I have the 63 SE but on scratched discs it will not play, in other cheaper players and computer/car its no problem. Also I ripped some tracks for demos and the only 2 players out of about 7 that would not play them was my 63SE and the Pearl Lite, all others, Rega, Creek, MF, Audiolab, RK all played them without a problem.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
Thanks guys. It's irritating, I'll give you that. I bought it based on the Marantz pedigree and review feedback which is generally glowing. I'm taking mine back as it's not sitting level (and the feet aren't adjustable), but will mention this to the store in Saturday morning. I'll run several discs but of the dozen or so that I've played so far, three have been knocked back. Not good.

Actually if you look at some USA reviews for Marantz for players like this they are not so glowing in fact there have quite a few problems.

matthewpiano

I have a CD63SE which can be a bit picky. Most discs play fine, but on some discs it emits a strange chaffing sound - always the same discs each time. These discs play fine on all my other CD players. The CD drive on the MCR610 plays them fine too.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
That's unfortunate, if the reset suggested above doesn't work definitely try another one - if the feet aren't sitting square could it be a slightly bent chassis?

I've been using the 5007 for all disc duties for just over a year now, so it's been in heavy use and I can't recall ever having a single issue with any disc I've put in it, be it DVD, Blu ray or CD old & new, including CD-R's. I've never put an SACD in it though.

This is the 3rd Marantz disc player I've owned, and I must say the other one (CD6000) still in use has also been very reliable and is still going strong and again I can't recall any CDs it's refused to read. Maybe I'm lucky but I found all the bits of Marantz gear I've owned have never given me a problem and lasted very well, which has led me to trust them to purchase the Pearl Lite amp and NA7004, both of which I expect to last, very solid.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
The Cambridge Audio player I ended up with could barely work, it would just freeze on anything. I sent it back.

Sounds like you had a faulty one - mine has played a huge variety of discs without any problems at all (DVD-A, SACD, CD, Blu-Ray in all their forms).

D

Deleted member 2457

DandyCobalt said:
gel said:

Sounds like you had a faulty one - mine has played a huge variety of discs without any problems at all (DVD-A, SACD, CD, Blu-Ray in all their forms).

Yep, it was definitely faulty.

T

the record spot

manicm said:

Thanks - I'll try another one out, it's due to collect on Saturday, but it's incredibly disappointing. I'll be going through a good few of my discs to see how it goes. I've owned plenty of Marantz gear before - three CD players (I still have the SA7001-KI), an amp....enough to put some faith in the brand.

T

the record spot

lcd4ever said:
Did you change the disc layer stting to' multi 'on the front of the player before putting in the SACD ?

Are you talking about the Billy Joel disc I mentioned? No, I play in stereo, my SA7001-KI plays it from the off. My other SACDs (I have some of the RCA Living Stereo SACDs) went straight in from the off. No reason why it shouldn't have played at all.

T

the record spot

BigH said:
I think Marantz cdp are generally fussy. I have the 63 SE but on scratched discs it will not play, in other cheaper players and computer/car its no problem. Also I ripped some tracks for demos and the only 2 players out of about 7 that would not play them was my 63SE and the Pearl Lite, all others, Rega, Creek, MF, Audiolab, RK all played them without a problem.

Never had a problem before Big H - two CD52 MkII players (albeit twenty years apart), and my SA7001-KI. No issues with any of them and the 7001 I played almost day in day out for about five years straight.

pauljack00

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the UD5005 and had loads of problems reading disks, frezzing up and just gennerally being a night mare, Marantz had it back 3 times replacing everything inside, in the end they let me replace it for the 5007 and i've never had a problem with the new one.

I also have the NR1601 AMP and that has also had to be sent off for repair. But at the end of the day they are one of the best looking amps / players on the market.

Ring them up direct and make them replace it if you have had it repaired already.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
pauljack00 said:
I had the UD5005 and had loads of problems reading disks, frezzing up and just gennerally being a night mare, Marantz had it back 3 times replacing everything inside, in the end they let me replace it for the 5007 and i've never had a problem with the new one.

I also have the NR1601 AMP and that has also had to be sent off for repair. But at the end of the day they are one of the best looking amps / players on the market.

Ring them up direct and make them replace it if you have had it repaired already.

Interesting, did your ud5005 use to stop responding to the remote & front panel controls and flash the power indicator ?

T

the record spot

Just back from Richer Sounds in Edinburgh and it looks like we're sorted. Played for if the five discs that had failed and they've been fine. Still got one wobbly foot but I can live with that!

Great service from the guys in Richer Sounds on Chambers Street again. Thanks guys! We seem to be good to go here!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts