Marantz to Anthem....

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Would the Anthem MRX300 be considered an upgrade to my current Marantz SR7005??? I'm not bothered about airplay, etc but more concerned about the sound quality.

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I had a Marantz SR7005 before buying the Yamaha RX-A2010 and I hated it... but at the same time I loved it! It was a terrible mismatch for the speakers I had... but again only the fronts sounded awful on the end of it. The rears which are smaller standmounts sounded amazing. The Marantz unfortunately was just too laidback for my floorstanders and in isolation they sounded veiled and dull. But on the other hand with smaller speakers (or even more clinical sounding floorstanders I suspect) I doubt there's any receiver costing under 2.5k that can beat the Marantz with movies especially. The detail and the sound layering was insane and so 3D like, the effects steering was top notch and the sub eq was so good that it felt like I bought a new subwoofer. The receiver in many aspects was so amazing that I wished I had different and better suited speakers.

So imho the Anthem might be more versatile in terms of speaker matching but with the right speakers the Marantz is so good that I don't think is clever to waste money in upgrades which would probably end up being more like sidesteps. And your speakers seem to be a perfect partner for the Marantz. In terms of sound processing the SR7005 is an outstanding machine and I wouldn't have traded it for any other receiver if my speakers were as right for it as yours seem to be.

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that the Anthem is much better than the Marantz?? Because if that's true I'm buying one! The Marantz was amazing in multi channel so if the Anthem is much better good Lord!! It must be something special. >)

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that the Anthem is much better than the Marantz?? Because if that's true I'm buying one! The Marantz was amazing in multi channel so if the Anthem is much better good Lord!! It must be something special. >)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I am saying that - the Marantz is good and has a very strong stereo sound but carfeful matching is a must. We used to get very good results out of the 7005 but if your priority is surround sound the Anthem is a clear winner in my mind. The room eq maximises your speakers in your room and does not have the processed or throttled sound that so many do.

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Good to know Nick. Do you reckon it's also better than the Pioneer SC-LX85 as well? I was pondering upgrading my Yamaha RX-A2010 to the LX85 but depending on your opinion I might start turning my attention to the Anthem instead and add a power amp to it later on if I find that it lacks in that department.

Sorry to hijack your thread atkins4725. It's just this little question and then I'm off and down the upgrade road like you :grin:

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
I had A dem of the Anthem end of last year with some def-tech in-walls and it was stunning, in-walls are pretty hit and miss especially partnering with unknown results with amps/processors, by that I mean trying to dem in walls with an amp you like or the other way round. then we tried the anthem with some Q-Acoustics yes some little Q-Acoustics and I was gobsmacked that such a little speaker could sound so good, granted the sub played an important role, as it did with the in-walls, but for pure film surround sound and music especially multi-channel Dark side of the mood and wish you were here was a revalation, you will not go wrong I would say buy with confidence, the anthems are IMO untouchable for the money, and with out the bells and whistles, I see you have the Apex I think its safe to say that if the Q-Acoustics sounded like they did you will not disapointed with your apex.However as always try and dem if you can, but if it is difficult to I would not worry to much,As for me I did not buy one only because it would have been complete overkill for my room, and I would not get the best-most out of it so regretably it was not an option...Just my bit 8)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Oliverswing77 said:
Good to know Nick. Do you reckon it's also better than the Pioneer SC-LX85 as well? I was pondering upgrading my Yamaha RX-A2010 to the LX85 but depending on your opinion I might start turning my attention to the Anthem instead and add a power amp to it later on if I find that it lacks in that department.

Sorry to hijack your thread atkins4725. It's just this little question and then I'm off and down the upgrade road like you :grin:

The 300 is not as good as the LX85 ( note 85 not 86 ). Adding a power amp would have merit but that depends on your speakers and your set up as well as timescales. The MRX700 is more on a par with the 85. The 2010 is a good amp though so it may be best to look at the whole system first in case there are gains to be made elsewhere.

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm very happy with my speakers. I've got the Focal 816W SE + CC880W SE + 816V and my subwoofer is the SVS PC13 Ultra so not too shabby. In terms of speakers I already reached my limit taking into account the actual financial situation. Wouldn't mind spending a little extra in a small but worthwhile upgrade like a even better receiver for example. So you'd say that the LX85 would be somehow an improvement? I'd be looking for a more forward sounding amp as the 2010 is a tad too laidback and I feel that the 816W SE in particular could do with a little kick in the backside (not literally). At the same time I'm looking for a bit more detail and better sub eq, something that I believe the Marantz was better at than the 2010.

michael hoy

Oliverswing77 said:
I'm very happy with my speakers. I've got the Focal 816W SE + CC880W SE + 816V and my subwoofer is the SVS PC13 Ultra so not too shabby. In terms of speakers I already reached my limit taking into account the actual financial situation. Wouldn't mind spending a little extra in a small but worthwhile upgrade like a even better receiver for example. So you'd say that the LX85 would be somehow an improvement? I'd be looking for a more forward sounding amp as the 2010 is a tad too laidback and I feel that the 816W SE in particular could do with a little kick in the backside (not literally). At the same time I'm looking for a bit more detail and better sub eq, something that I believe the Marantz was better at than the 2010.

Hi,

I think you would like the 85, it is not "bright" as some would say, but it does have a forward presentation to it.

I have had a Yamaha, Denon and two Pioneer amps (72 & 85). The 85 is very impressive, take time to set it up and the rewards will be worth while.

ripz

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Oliverswing77 said:
Hi,

I had a Marantz SR7005 before buying the Yamaha RX-A2010 and I hated it... but at the same time I loved it! It was a terrible mismatch for the speakers I had... but again only the fronts sounded awful on the end of it. The rears which are smaller standmounts sounded amazing. The Marantz unfortunately was just too laidback for my floorstanders and in isolation they sounded veiled and dull. But on the other hand with smaller speakers (or even more clinical sounding floorstanders I suspect) I doubt there's any receiver costing under 2.5k that can beat the Marantz with movies especially. The detail and the sound layering was insane and so 3D like, the effects steering was top notch and the sub eq was so good that it felt like I bought a new subwoofer. The receiver in many aspects was so amazing that I wished I had different and better suited speakers.

So imho the Anthem might be more versatile in terms of speaker matching but with the right speakers the Marantz is so good that I don't think is clever to waste money in upgrades which would probably end up being more like sidesteps. And your speakers seem to be a perfect partner for the Marantz. In terms of sound processing the SR7005 is an outstanding machine and I wouldn't have traded it for any other receiver if my speakers were as right for it as yours seem to be.

Oliverswing77, what speakers would those be?

_stranger

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
atkins4725 said:
Would the Anthem MRX300 be considered an upgrade to my current Marantz SR7005??? I'm not bothered about airplay, etc but more concerned about the sound quality.

I suspect both receivers will perform similarly. Surely the Marantz is a very respected AVR as well. The edge maybe to the Anthem because of ARC processing.

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
"Oliverswing77, what speakers would those be?"

Speakers that go well with the Marantz SR7005 you mean? I suspect Monitor Audio speakers must be a great pairing and also most standmounts or even smaller sattelite speakers. As long as they have a forward and trebley presentation they should sound fantastic with the Marantz. But floorstanders in general tend to have a warmer and fuller sound than most standmounts so I wouldn't risk buying floorstanders to pair up with the Marantz without listening to the combination first. My Focals sounded awful in 2 ch stereo and pure direct modes, really muffled and dull. But in surround modes with movies the detail, the effects steering and the sub eq really made up for it and it really sounded amazing. The soundfield was not as expansive as with the Yamaha but it was so cohesive and everything sounded so tight, fast and precise. With the right speakers the Marantz must sound like an absolute bargain.

ripz

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
No mate. I meant the ones whose sound was so terrible. Now i know :D The focals. Yes you are right. MA play very well with the Marantz, RX6, RX8, RX1, these were the speakers i have tested with the Marantz. The GX200 and 300, plus the 3 i have mentioned, i ve tested with the Primare SPA22 HD, but that one is on a different league ..

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
To be fair, when i first purchased the Marantz i was doing home audition of the B&W CM8's & CM9's. The 8's just sounded stunning where as the 9's had way to much lower end and not enough high end (to big for my room). The detail on the 8's which were bi-wired was just incredible. I do sometimes wish I had gone for the B&W's instead of the Apex :-(

I think instead of rushing into buy another AVR, I'll have another tinker about with the Audyssey setup. From what I've read on numerous sites, both the Marantz and Apex are genuinely decent pieces of kit. (I've yet to read a review that doesn't cream over either pieces of kit).

Thanks for all the replies and any suggestions on the setup are welcomed.

ripz

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
The Apex are a very different kind of speakers, specially when we compare with the RX. The CM8 are very good with the Marantz too. I have auditioned both, CM8, CM9 and CM1 aswell and i did like all of those except the CM9 and this is a kind of speaker that needs a lot more current than the Marantz can provide. My bet would go towards the CM8 or the RX6 or 8 ( i fancy the RX8 :) ). The most immediate difference between these two (three) kinds are the detail, in the RX6 case, and the bass with detail, in the RX8 case (4ohms) and a very strong bass with the CM8. I think it s very hard to choose between these speakers, when playing them with the marantz. Another point would be the finish, and i think the MA wins here :D There are another pair i suspect would do well with the SR7005: the Tannoy DC6T. I did not test them .. it s just a wild guess :p

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
ripz said:
No mate. I meant the ones whose sound was so terrible. Now i know :D The focals. Yes you are right. MA play very well with the Marantz, RX6, RX8, RX1, these were the speakers i have tested with the Marantz. The GX200 and 300, plus the 3 i have mentioned, i ve tested with the Primare SPA22 HD, but that one is on a different league ..

Yes but only the 816W SE floorstanders. I tried the 806V in isolation just to compare (which are my rear speakers atm) and they sounded great with the Marantz. I even thought of replacing the 816s with the best standmounts available in the range but I like the floorstander looks so I decided to replace the receiver instead. Even though the Yamaha is a much better match I still miss some of the qualities of the Marantz. Hopefully the Pioneer will be a good comprimise between the Marantz and the Yamaha.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts