Marantz sr5007 wharfedale dx1 hcp

elnoni5

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
I have the marantz sr5007. After looking for a reasonably priced/sound quality ratio speaker package, I whittled it down to the wharfedale dx1's and Boston acoustics soundware xs se. After much to-ing and fro-ing, I chose the wharfedale's which are being delivered soon...forgetting completely that it is a 4ohm system. The marantz goes down to 6ohms but thd goes up.

have I messed up in my selection? What would the likely disadvantage be, especially in sound quality. Will there be noticeable degradation?

does anybody own this combination who could share their experience?

thanks in advance

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Is it really 4 ohm speakers? Wharfedale website doesn't state the impedance.

While WHF review stated 8 ohm (but I wonder since when Wharfedale produces 8 ohm speakers anyway)

The Marantz AVR shouldn't be using 4 ohm speakers.

Boston Acoustic Soundware XS is 8 ohm in impedance with handling power of 100w. But, it sounds too small with lowest freq of 150Hz (too high actually). I personally don't recommend you to buy Boston XS although it earned 5 star review. It sound nice at low volume only.

There will be 2 option if Wharfedale DX is really 4 ohm,

1- Get a proper AVR with 4 ohm selector (like yamaha)

2- Let go your existing speakers, and grab other model like KEF's

elnoni5

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
thanks radovantz!

thing is..if u look on the downloadable catalogue on the wharfedale site it states 4 ohms. somewhere else on this forum, someone stated that it was an error and wharfedale accepted it as such...however, wharfedale didn't bother changing it on their catalogue..which seems suspicious! another comment mentioned that after contacting wharfedale directly, they stated that settings of 6 or 8 ohms should be fine. other sites mention the 4 ohm problem as a given...so it's all a bit dubious!!

been on order for more than a week now from audioaffair.co.uk and is still 'processing' (very poor customer service too) so may just cancel the order.

thanks for the advice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts