Marantz PM7004 or Rotel RA-1520 ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my very old (30-odd years) 50 watt Sansui amp. My existing setup also includes a Marantz CD 6003, B&W 685 plus Monitor Audio BX2 speakers and Linn Sondek LP12. Please can I have input regarding whether I should go for the Marantz PM 7004 or Rotel RA-1520

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
If you like a more direct, attacking sound go for the Rotel. If you want a more musical and involving sound go for the Marantz. I would pick the Marantz PM 7004, a very good amplifier.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The Sansui
smiley-wink.gif

I don't know what your amp is, but don't assume that just because it's old, even relatively budget stuff will now be an improvement on it. Have a serious audition first and see whether amps at that price point will bring you the improvement you are looking for.

Yo may even be be better off and get more improvements by upgrading the speakers instead.

Russell Meade said:
I am looking to upgrade my very old (30-odd years) 50 watt Sansui amp. My existing setup also includes a Marantz CD 6003, B&W 685 plus Monitor Audio BX2 speakers and Linn Sondek LP12. Please can I have input regarding whether I should go for the Marantz PM 7004 or Rotel RA-1520

Hi Russell Meade

Your thoughts/impressions of your current system are?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Any specific power requirement?

Are you using the phono stage of the Sansui amp or an external phono stage for the LP12? If external what make is it? The cartridge?

Are you using the 685's, BX2's or both?

Are the speakers stand, shelf or wall mounted?

The interconnects and speaker cables are?

Will you be auditioning amplifiers before you buy?

Your overall budget?

What areas of improvement are you looking for in a new amplifier and the system as a whole to achieve?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
Russell Meade said:

Hi Russell Meade

Your thoughts/impressions of your current system are?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Any specific power requirement?

Are you using the phono stage of the Sansui amp or an external phono stage for the LP12? If external what make is it? The cartridge?

Are you using the 685's, BX2's or both?

Are the speakers stand, shelf or wall mounted?

The interconnects and speaker cables are?

Will you be auditioning amplifiers before you buy?

Your overall budget?

What areas of improvement are you looking for in a new amplifier and the system as a whole to achieve?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The exam starts now!

A

Anonymous

I am fairly pleased with my existing system given the shape of my rather small rather heavily furnished (leather and wood prevails) lounge, and my budget constraints, hence my choice of speakers. I had floorstanders but they were way too much for the size of the room. I use the Sansui (AU-317) phono stage and the Linn is fitted with an Ortofon 2M Blue (a bit bright so my replacement will be the Goldring 2500). Bit of a mixed bag in terms of music choice (ranges from jazz - Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, Art Blakey etc., classical guitar - Yepes, Julian Bream to classic rock - Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep etc. through Pearl Jam to CSN, Aerosmith and even Metallica). A bit revealing about my age isn't it. Listening levels are generally what the neighbours and the missus will tolerate, but not overly loud). I am using Tributaries cables and interconnects plus both speakers (685's stand mounted and the BX2's on shelves). I have auditioned both the Marantz PM 7004 and Rotel RA-1520 (plus Cambridge Audio Azur 650A and Yamaha AS500) but the dealers are reluctant to allow me to try them out at home, and narrowed my search down to the two. Both different but I was concerned that the Rotel may not be as musically accurate, although exciting nevertheless, for my environment and ears - difficult to judge without being able to test them in-situ. The only reason I want to replace my Sansui is that it will inevitably fail one of these days due to its advanced age, plus it has developed a bit of a left-channel bias (slightly louder than the right) which is becoming increasingly unbearable. Obviously I would love to be able to afford a Naim Nait or Roksan Kandy but budget-wise they are out of the question.

T

the record spot

If you just want a straight two channel amp without all the modern bells and whistles, check out some Ebay listings now for what look like good Sansui amps on there. There's an AU-999 kicking around which was the line before the 17 series you and I both have amps from. Fantastic sound, fantastic amps. Nothing around today for under £1000 I'd look at to improve on mine and likely nearer £1500. Might even be a 317 on there; there certainly was a few weeks ago.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses from both Musicraft and The Record Spot. In reply to the former, I am using both at the same time in the same room. My lounge is 4,5m x 3,5m with archways on each of the sides of the 4,5m lengths, one into the dining room and the other into the entrance foyer. This means that I have no option but to place my kit and speakers on one wall on the narrow (3,5m) side and sit opposite it so the only way to achieve some sort of decent stereo image is to have a second pair of speakers on shelves a bit futher apart. Works well and I am happy with the sound. I just want to replace my amp and am uncertain whether or not I should go for the more punchy (perhaps exciting) Rotel, or the more safe Marantz. The Rotel would perhaps sound great listening to jazz and rock but maybe not with classical guitar (?). I don't know hence my request for input. At the moment I am leaning towards the safer option, particularly as nobody has indicated that I should go the other route.

In response to The Record Spot, I agree with you completely and this is why I have not replaced the Sansui all these years. However, I live in South Africa and there are problems (restrictions) regarding the import of electronic equipment (new or second-hand) plus I don't know of any really good service agents who are competent to work on Sansui equipment, even if you can get the parts !! Living in South Africa also means that we pay almost double for hi-fi equipment (dealers buy at wholesale prices which are probably the same as what yours pay, then there are shipping costs plus about 30% import duties plus their "cut"). An example is Chord Co. Carnival Silver Screen cables. This sells for around 6 Pounds (about R72) a meter in the UK but here it goes for about R120 per meter = 10 Pounds). Sad but that's how it is.

Hi Russell Meade

Thanks for your reply and fair enough.

Between the PM7004 and the RA-1520 i feel the PM7004 (with its fluidity) is going to be the safest bet. Another amplifier to also consider is the NAD C356BEE. I feel the C356BEE will suit all of the genre of music you listen to and its overall tonal balance will also help it to gel even more effectively with the 685's and BX2's. The C356BEE incorporates the NAD PowerDrive circuit which should help the amp keep the speakers in even better check (useful if you going to run two pairs of speakers and particularly from different makes at the same time) by offering greater control, drive and stability at comparable levels. For listening to your record player you could look at an external phono stage (such as the Rega's Fono mini) or the optional NAD PP375 phono module (for fitting in the amps Disc/MDC input slot).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your kind response Rick (and all other persons who posted responses). I have checked pricing on the NAD and it is more than the Rotel, even without the phono stage, so I am going to settle on the Marantz which you and Cypher have both given thumbs up to. Surprisingly nobody gave preference to the Rotel, but this has merely added weight to my decision. The Marantz sells for R9 999 and the Rotel R10 900 so I will be saving myself R900 (around 80 Pounds) which is a bonus too. I am already using both the 685's and BX2's with the Sansui without issues so shouldn't have any with the Marantz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts