Marantz PM7001KI anyone ?

mk666

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
I am planning to upgrade my budget system :
Marantz PM4000 with Mission M71 bookshelf speakers.

Based on Andy's advice I ditched the idea of going for Yamaha YSP1100 sound bar or indeed any of the surround packages.
I agree that instead of £400-£500 for a surround receiver, money is better spent on a better stereo amp.

So can anybody recommend a good stereo amp and speakers ?

By scanning the sites I shortlisted :

Amp : Marantz PM7001 or even stretch to PM7001KI, Arcam A70 ( I definitely want a remote! )
Speakers : Monitor Audio BR2 or RS1, Quad 112L, B&W 685

Possibly also add a sub to get even better bass - MA BRW10 or a small Velodyne.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

With regard to the source component - I use Hifidelio Music Server with all my music losslessly encoded.

P.S.: I just wish I could spend more as I just heard Opera Callas Diva / Mezza with Pathos Amp/CD. Fantastic ...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mk666"]
Amp : Marantz PM7001 or even stretch to PM7001KI, Arcam A70 ( I definitely want a remote! )
Speakers : Monitor Audio BR2 or RS1, Quad 112L, B&W 685

[/quote]

I can only tell you what I've tested myself: if you'll hear the RS1 and the B&W 685 you won't want the BR2. It's excellent value, but it's still almost half as cheap as the other two. Of the three I picked the RS1 myself, although the 685 has more bottom end, the detail in the RS1 is incredible.

As far as amps go these all sound great, but I was really put off by the Marantz' blinding blue light in the middle. It even struck me as bright in the testing room, let alone in the living room.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Kris8400"]I was really put off by the Marantz' blinding blue light in the middle. It even struck me as bright in the testing room, let alone in the living room[/quote]

They were considered to be cool in the late 80's, the light itselfs was about £3 to buy (by Hif manufactures) back then. Now they cost about few pence each so I am not surprised many company now use them....mega cool if you ask me!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mk666"]
Thanks.

I am now also considering Cambridge Azur 640A and 740A. Possibly Pioneer A-A6-J too.

[/quote]

You might have seen from my previous thread that I tried the 640A and 740A and in my opinion there's an enormous difference between them. How might also have gleened that trying out the CA stuff at home can be costly if you're dissapointed, so maybe see if they've got an open box unit or something to try that they'll refund.

So - I'm very chuffed with the 740A, but not compared it to much else - I might have been tempted to spend a bit more on the Roksan, perhaps. I'd love to know how it comapres (maybe I wouldn't...)

HTH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts