Marantz PM7001/ CD6002, speaker recommendation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

khian:
Guys, I'm also thinking of these combos. I heard from others the KI version has a good improvement and has more controlled bass over the normal PM7001, is that true? I haven't audition the KI version and thus I can't confirm with that improvement.

I heard the normal PM7001 + Mezzo2 and indeed I found the bass is sometimes slow.. the mids and highs are so good for me, full of emotion and sparkle on the highs. What can you say about these 3 combinations and which would you prefer? I wanted to buy Marantz product because it's cheap here in Singapore and I can pay them in installment.

I'm not sure if option 1 will sound dull and with less sparkle? I heard dyn 42 with wrongly paired electronics and IMHO it needs moderate volume to hear more details...

1.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + dynaudio 42

2.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + mordaunt short mezzo 2

3.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + focal 706V

Thanks again!

Slow bass? Imho that's because of the Mezzo's. I'm not a fan of the speakers, and I'm convinced the PM7001KI is able to drive much better ones.

I don't know how far your budget stretches but if I were you I'd be looking at the following
Marantz PM7001 - CD6002 - Focal 806's.

I've compared the 8 and 7 series Focal speakers, and the 8's sound much better to my ears. A better tweeter, clearer midrange and much better bass: in depth and quantity. A friend has a PM66KI combined with the 705's in a small room (less than 15 square meters) and the combinations sounds really, really sweet too.

If your budget stretches a bit further, then I'd be buying the SA7001 instead of the CD6002, and if your budget even goes beyond that, then I'd be getting the PM7001KI.

Or, you could do as me, and buy a second hand PM17. Much better than the PM7001KI, and in my case it costed less than a new PM7001.

A

Anonymous

Jan Hibma:khian:

Guys, I'm also thinking of these combos. I heard from others the KI version has a good improvement and has more controlled bass over the normal PM7001, is that true? I haven't audition the KI version and thus I can't confirm with that improvement.

I heard the normal PM7001 + Mezzo2 and indeed I found the bass is sometimes slow.. the mids and highs are so good for me, full of emotion and sparkle on the highs. What can you say about these 3 combinations and which would you prefer? I wanted to buy Marantz product because it's cheap here in Singapore and I can pay them in installment.

I'm not sure if option 1 will sound dull and with less sparkle? I heard dyn 42 with wrongly paired electronics and IMHO it needs moderate volume to hear more details...

1.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + dynaudio 42

2.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + mordaunt short mezzo 2

3.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + focal 706V

Thanks again!

Slow bass? Imho that's because of the Mezzo's. I'm not a fan of the speakers, and I'm convinced the PM7001KI is able to drive much better ones. I don't know how far your budget stretches but if I were you I'd be looking at the following Marantz PM7001 - CD6002 - Focal 806's. I've compared the 8 and 7 series Focal speakers, and the 8's sound much better to my ears. A better tweeter, clearer midrange and much better bass: in depth and quantity. A friend has a PM66KI combined with the 705's in a small room (less than 15 square meters) and the combinations sounds really, really sweet too. If your budget stretches a bit further, then I'd be buying the SA7001 instead of the CD6002, and if your budget even goes beyond that, then I'd be getting the PM7001KI. Or, you could do as me, and buy a second hand PM17. Much better than the PM7001KI, and in my case it costed less than a new PM7001.

Jan, thanks for the information
emotion-55.gif
. I haven't audition the focal 806Vs but already heard the 706Vs and I liked it too. For me 706Vs sounded more focused than mezzos, and in terms of highs I can't say which one is better as I didnt compare them side by side..but both sounded good to me and I liked the sparkle without too much brightness.. I don't have that much golden ear but how do the focal 800s' midrange/voice sounds compared to dynaudios? I liked dyns midrange but for the highs I prefer the focals and the mezzos. As I mentioned above I listen to acoustic, jazz, vocals, rock (sometimes classical and pop songs)..

So for my small room with approx. 3.25 m X 3.5 m, are the 806Vs good enough compared with the 807Vs? Also due to some space constraints I can only put the speaker with around 1 foot of distance from backwalls. That's why now I am targeting more on the front ported speakers.. Before, with MA RS1 (in my opinion) I experienced boominess in bass (due to rear port) and sometimes too much brightness on the treble and I don't want to have that same problem again... Thanks!

A

Anonymous

The PM7001 Ki is a top class amp (IMO) and has the power and capability to drive speakers very well.

I've not compared this to the standard PM7001, but from my experience you get smooth and fast delivery for a wide range of music types.

I listen to some very heavy metal and speed metal right through to pop and then country and classical and this recent amp upgrade has made me just want to listen to more and more music every day.

I can only recommend this hugely fluid and talented amp to anyone looking for a great all rounder.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Aeroadster.

I purchased the CD6002/ PM7001 KI combo
emotion-2.gif
but havent delivered it yet. I'm planning to test the combo with Dyns 42 and Focal 806V. Many have recomended AVI Neutron but it's expensive here with a marginal difference than those mentioned above.. with my limited budget I am eyeing only between those two now. I eliminated the Mezzo2 because I spent another listening test to Mezzos again and realiazed it's not for me...Seems like I keep going back to Dyns. Maybe I will just use port bungs and give some 16 to 20 inch distance from the backwalls.

Anybody can give feedback on difference in midrange between dyn 42 and focal 806V? also their difference in treble?

A

Anonymous

I have PM7001 and CD6002 with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers and I can say I am not pleased with results. Sound is too restrained, too "refined", not detailned, not open and too "warm". I like energetic, open, in your face, bright and "fast" sound and this combo is not giving it. I dont know whether it is due to the speakers and/or amp but I will try to switch amp for Rotel RA05 and we will see how it will be. I suppose the speakers are the key but I want to know whether amp should be changed too.

Question for you all, some people are saying rotel is more detailed amp than Marantz and some are saying the opposite. Whats the verdict?

cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi all, John Duncan,

Most of you have recommended me the AVI Neutron IV.. and now I saw a very good deal for a 1 yr old neutron IV here in my place. As shown above I bought PM7001 KI and CD6002 (~520 GBP for the combo) because I liked how it sounded together and I can pay them by installement. Now I wonder if I can gamble to buy the neutron IV without auditioning it? I really loved dynaudio sound but it's so expensive if brand new. I got a very good offer for 1 yr old AVI neutron IV for around 225 GBP.. I hope u guys can help since most of you have heard AVI a lot :)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Any feedback how AVI Neutron IV sounds compared to dynaudio 42? Are they on the same league as dyns? how is the treble and mids differ from each other ? how about the imaging??

TIA

T

the record spot

I think the AVIs were absolute must have's on any shortlist; comapred to the DAs I don't know. Would certainly be looking at partnering them is the Marantz gear are up to the task.

John Duncan

Difficult to recommend buying speakers without hearing them - amps and CD players are easier, as they're either good or they're not (generalising wildly). Speakers can be more of an acquired taste, particularly when they are compromised designs like the Neutron - brilliant if you love vocals, useless if you like thumping bass (though surprisingly good in this respect considering the size of the box).

Depends on how good a deal it is (specially since the Vs are now out for £100 less.......)

John Duncan

Hang on, just seen - £225. That is indeed a very good deal for a very good speaker, but whether you will like them or not is another matter - are you able to listen to them?

Can't speak for the dynaudios I'm afraid.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Clare. I have got the B&W 685's and have them on soundstyle Z2's. Are these ok to get the best from the bass or would you recommend something else? Should i fill the legs with atabites?

A

Anonymous

The owner allowed me to listen the speakers before buying it. I was impressed how the female voice sounds and also the refinement in treble. because of that impression I was sold and went away with the AVI neutron IV in my hands
emotion-2.gif
Now I am happy with these little speakers, they don't have the final bits of details nor the dynamics/speed of other speakers but most important to me is I enjoy listening the music and not thinking of its weaknesses.. for bass the quality is there, rhythmic and fast, but not as fast as others.. not deep but it's ok as I have a musical sub which i can turn on when needed
emotion-2.gif
and the midrange oohhh what a lovely sound for me..

Many thanks and cheers to all the wonderful people who pointed me to this speaker. It was worth waiting on the 2nd hand market.

A

Anonymous

Another update guys
emotion-1.gif
I changed my speaker cable from copper to QED Silver Anniversary XT cable and I noticed a little improvement on my setup.

-it adds up details especially on treble, guitars and cymbals are more alive but not aggravating to the ears.
-it adds up midrange texture, voices are more pronounced and detailed but still not so sibilant, I can say I am seeing the benefit of silver-plated copper on my system.
-it gives better separation of instrument but not marginal improvement.

Imaging, I can not hear any much improvement maybe because my amp has a little 'laid back' characteristic which put you on an audience level when you are in concert or performance.. It's like you're in a 5th row to 8th row because I'm hearing some air/ambience on the voice and instruments. Not sure also if my speaker is contributing to it's laid back characteristic. Anyone can give feedback on this?

A

Anonymous

Finally I've found a forum with answer/question about this combinations. What is your experience now?

I have the same challenge about speaker recommandation, but I will like to try it with B&W DM 685?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts