Marantz PM6005 on Dali Ikon 6 Mk2

barryb5

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I've been offered some ikon 6's at an unresistable price, however my budget does not yet extend to the more obvious amps that might be paired with it. I've read numerous times that the 6004, despite it's size, gives the impression of having power in spades, and with this in mind I'm thinking of it as a suitable partner for the Dali's. What do you all think? I mostly play vinyl if it's any use...Thanks...

rainsoothe

well, they're pretty sensitive speakers, so a Marantz might be enough to drive them, provided you don't require disco-party volumes. Word of caution, though, make sure they're appropriate for your space, as I read they require quite the space around them.

Other amps I would suggest are Marantz PM8005, the forum-hyped Abrahamsen 2.0 (which might actually the best bargain you could get) or check used market if you can find a Rega Elex R, Naim Nait 5si or maybe Creek Evo 50A.

Best advice, though, is to try audition for yourself.

By the way, (I should've asked this to begin with) what's your roomsize, prefered volume and music type, and sound you like - warm or bright, relaxed or fast etc.

barryb5

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Cheers for the reply. Funny you ask, the amp will need to ouput occassional disco party volume *dance4*...Room is long and narrow, and if I recall measurements correctly, it's 30 feet x 13 feet. Music is electronic/ dance/ disco / soul / rock.

Just did a bit of forum reading from similar posts and watched the Harbeth video concerning amp wattage - enlightening watch.

Also now considering the nice practicality of having BT or similar streaming cabilities for aforementioned partying...Perhaps Roksan K2BT might be worth saving up for? Obviously has mor epower too. Or a Marantz PM7005 and connecting a BT device to it?

georgescookie

May 17, 2015
Visit site
As an owner of the Marantz PM8005 and previously a PM6004, the phonos on each are great, clean sounding with strong amplification and plenty of depth ...so I disagree with 'marantz doesnt have any'...

barryb5

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
georgescookie said:
As an owner of the Marantz PM8005 and previously a PM6004, the phonos on each are great, clean sounding with strong amplification and plenty of depth ...so I disagree with 'marantz doesnt have any'...

Did you note a great improvement in sound quality with the upgrade, particularly in respect of the phono's? From a cursory glance at specs, seems odd that the 8005 lacks features that the 7005 has.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
georgescookie said:

I may not have been clear, but "The Marantz" I was referring to was the 6005 in the original post (ie.not all models). I checked the specs and it didn't appear to have one....hence the comment.

Edit. The Marantz website makes it look like there is no phono stage fitted, but Richer Sounds lists it as a feature...so you are correct.

Apologies if I mislead anyone.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Given you listen mostly to Vinyl, a good phono stage is desireable.....and as the Marantz doesn't have any, do you own one at the moment?

If not, you ideally should be looking at amps with a decent one, the cheepest being the BrioR; then the Arcam A19, Creek 50A, Elex R and Croft Phono Integrated, if you have more budget.

Edit. The Marantz does have a MM phono stage, so sorry for the incorrect comment.....though with Vinyl, I would still always advise going for the amp (that you like the dound of), with the best quality built-in phono stage, that's within budget.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The 6004 is not that powerful. Phono stage is not a big issue you can buy new ones for about £50 like Project. Rega one is a bit more expensive. I would look around for some nearly new amps. some bargains around, Arcam A19 for £400, RK Kandy K2 for about same. Some mid-market Marantz also.

georgescookie

May 17, 2015
Visit site
from what i see the pm8005 is more suited for the audiophile (i would not call my self one!) witch sounds abit better and includes mid control as well as treble & bass with metal shiny knobs and made in japan and is the category set in the mid-end section of amplifiers.

the PM7005 is a cross between both pm6005 & pm8005. the phono sounded great on the pm6004 but the pm8005 does have a larger, more detailed sound...but then again it does cost more!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
A NAD C356BEE should go well with the Dali's and you would need the phono they make as well. It would have plenty of power for the speakers,

Roksan K2 is another idea already mentioned or even Pioneer A70 or Yamaha A-S701.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts