MARANTZ PM6005/CD6005 BETTER THAN CR603

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Popped into hughes today to have a quick listen to the 6005 combo and have to say for the money i was very impressed, the detail was very good for this price level. They were running into a pair of monitor audio rx1s (though i think my cm1s would be a better match). So what I wanted to ask was is there anyone whose gone from a cr603 to this combo and found it any better or would I have to go further up the ladder to see any improvement.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It has been said already here - all in one Marantz ( M-CR series) sounds same as Marantz budged separates.

I did have PM6004 with Arcam rDac and this combo sounds same as my M-CR510 and that's the reason I've kept smaller rather than bigger. My mate got PM6005, we did compare it with my all in one, same room, same speakers, same material... no difference to both of us.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Well I think the PM6005/CD6005 combination is much better. Better bass, better soundstage, more detail and the sound is way more engaging.

No competition IMO.

matthewpiano

I can't be 100% because I haven't heard them directly side by side. My feeling is that the 603 and 610 certainly run the 6005s very close. Certainly I had many very enjoyable listening sessions in the time I had the 610 and, unlike Cypher, I found it to be very engaging indeed. I certainly wouldn't feel at all hard done by if I had to go back to one. It is a superb unit.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Well I think the PM6005/CD6005 combination is much better. Better bass, better soundstage, more detail and the sound is way more engaging.

No competition IMO.

Did you hear them side by side? same speakers? same room? same music?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
At that time I had the PM6003/CD6003 combination.........comparable to the 6005 components.

I tried out the MCR603 at the same time so I could do a good comparison. The PM6003/CD6003 sounded way more powerful and had more control over the speakers. It sounded more confident and stable. The MCR603 sounds a little weak in comparison. The PM6003/CD6003 also sounded more 3D..........the MCR603 sounded flat.

I wish Marantz would bring out MCR510 but for a little bit more money. With more power and maybe a larger unit. That is something I would buy ;)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
sorry if this has been said before but i.m not on the forum as much as i used to be, but i,m getting the impression that there isnt much in it to be honest although saying that i,m sure i,d hear some difference between the two due to the fact that separates for the most part will be superior even though the 603 wont be far behind.perhaps i,l stay where i am for now although i have still been looking at the yamaha as 700 combo for quite some time, there seems to be a lot more box for buck and maybe a more 'grown up' system into the bargain, but i,l chew it over for a bit

audioaddict said:
sorry if this has been said before but i.m not on the forum as much as i used to be, but i,m getting the impression that there isnt much in it to be honest although saying that i,m sure i,d hear some difference between the two due to the fact that separates for the most part will be superior even though the 603 wont be far behind.perhaps i,l stay where i am for now although i have still been looking at the yamaha as 700 combo for quite some time, there seems to be a lot more box for buck and maybe a more 'grown up' system into the bargain, but i,l chew it over for a bit

Hi Audioaddict. Where ya been? ;)

Sorry, can't answer your question directly...

As you probably know, I've auditioned countless integrated amps over the years in the sub-£1000 section. Have to say there isn't much between any of them, but based on my RS6s and Arcam CDP I would've plumped for the Creek... it just edged it for me.

IMHO to make a worthwhile upgrade you need to cross the £1000 threshold, this is where the differences really kick in.

Having heard the 603 powering Q Acoustics 2020i, it's hard to beat in terms of overall VFM.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I now prefere my MCR610 to my yamaha as500 based seperate system in the living room but only since I put on the AE109's (depite what some say speakers do make hell of a differnce ;) )

not totally happy with the as500 anymore, its sounds a bit grainy compared to Marantz equipment, and that includes the 610 mini system

just read the updated review on WHF regarding the 6005, its interersting how this redefines what you can get for such a low cost , it seems to be notably better than the rotel RA10 and £100 less, why are rotel so stubborn to keep the price of their amp so high ? it really looks poor value now

marantz deserve to wipe out the sales of the overpriced rotel unless they reduce the price, no wonder its lost a star ,

matthewpiano

Firstly I don't think the Marantz is 'notably better' than the RA10.

Secondly, Marantz and Rotel have different pricing and distribution strategies. The Marantz is sold through a massive range of dealers including online and so the prices at which the 6005s are available have constant downward pressure on them - even more so when you consider the various system deals available. Rotel, on the other hand, do not allow online sales of their products and have a much smaller dealer base so the price competition isn't as fierce on their product. You will see this even more so on NAD gear which is now only available to buy from Sevenoaks. Products like the C326BEE have gone from being available at all sorts of prices to suddenly being £349.

They are both fine amps. The Rotel will suit some better than the Marantz, and vice versa.

T

the record spot

Cypher said:
At that time I had the PM6003/CD6003 combination.........comparable to the 6005 components.

I tried out the MCR603 at the same time so I could do a good comparison. The PM6003/CD6003 sounded way more powerful and had more control over the speakers. It sounded more confident and stable. The MCR603 sounds a little weak in comparison. The PM6003/CD6003 also sounded more 3D..........the MCR603 sounded flat.

I wish Marantz would bring out MCR510 but for a little bit more money. With more power and maybe a larger unit. That is something I would buy ;)

It's the Onkyo TX-8050...

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried the CD6003 a while ago when I had the original one-box thingy and the separate was much more full and dynamic to my ears. Depends what you're listening through and what you're used to, I suppose. The Marantz CD players are the best thing they make IMHO - I'd be keen to hear the latest ones.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hiya pp ive been on a sabbatical :) i am still enjoying my system dont get me wrong but just getting that putting together a separates system type itch again..................i.m an audioaddict what can i do:dance:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:
hiya pp ive been on a sabbatical :) i am still enjoying my system dont get me wrong but just getting that putting together a separates system type itch again..................i.m an audioaddict what can i do:dance:

Save up until you can afford a set-up that is unquestionably superior and you don't need to start a thread to ask.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
audioaddict said:

Save up until you can afford a set-up that is unquestionably superior and you don't need to start a thread to ask.

How do you know he needs to save up? He might be minted....

Also, aren't threads asking for advice the main point of this place?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts