Marantz PM6004

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

Bas73 said:
chebby said:
In the Marantz's price range there's next to nothing - oh wait there's the Onkyo but its inputs are limited. So simply put at this price level there's simply no integrated worth having.

Rega Brio-R. Would be interesting how the PM6004 and Brio-R will compare. Marantz can make great budget-amps, as it has proved with the PM6003, but I'm not sure if it can play in the same league as the new baby Rega.

Considering the price I've seen on a few websites for the PM6004 is £309, it isn't really fair to compare it with the Brio-R, which is nearly £500. However, I personally think the PM6003 is a better amp overall than the old Brio 3 so PM6004/Brio-R could be an interesting contest.

matthewpiano

manicm said:
As I said, it was my quote, and again Matthew, I meant a 300 quid integrated with DAC. To my knowledge it's only the Onkyo. Jeez people.

I wasn't really responding to you but to the other poster's comments about the Brio-R.

I agree fully - the only integrated I can think of with a DAC at the price is the Onkyo. However, I personally don't think it matters. I'm quite happy with the idea of an all analogue amp and a seperate DAC.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Sizzers said:
I would be very interested to learn what his thoughts are on stand alone DAC's, and if Marantz have any thoughts on introducing one of their own. Thanks.

I'm really only intending to ask about the products in question, as I said, but I'll see what I can do.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Sizzers said:
I would be very interested to learn what his thoughts are on stand alone DAC's, and if Marantz have any thoughts on introducing one of their own. Thanks.

I'm really only intending to ask about the products in question, as I said, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Andrew.

I know that was off topic but I seriously love the CD6003. I never fully realised just what a fantastic CDP the 6003 was until I sorted out my headphones. Not that there are any complaints through the speakers mind, but I am beginning to seriously look in to DAC's and would love an opinion if you could perhaps drop that in somewhere......Please! lol

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers said:
...I seriously love the CD6003. I never fully realised just what a fantastic CDP the 6003 was until I sorted out my headphones. Not that there are any complaints through the speakers mind, but I am beginning to seriously look in to DAC's...

There is the form matching Marantz NA7004 (£599) that will give you much more than just a DAC. (Also has FM/DAB/DAB+/Internet radio/streaming/DAC etc...)

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Marantz-NA7004/

It will look good with the rest of your Marantz system too. All you'll need is an ethernet cable and another set of phono leads. You may even get more out your CD6003 by plugging it into the DAC on the NA-7004 (same DAC as that found in the SA-KI Pearl player.)

Also AirPlay for iThings, optical inputs for Blu-ray. (And USB).

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Sizzers said:
...I seriously love the CD6003. I never fully realised just what a fantastic CDP the 6003 was until I sorted out my headphones. Not that there are any complaints through the speakers mind, but I am beginning to seriously look in to DAC's...

There is the form matching Marantz NA7004 (£599) that will give you much more than just a DAC. (Also has FM/DAB/DAB+/Internet radio/streaming/DAC etc...)

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Marantz-NA7004/

It will look good with the rest of your Marantz system too. All you'll need is an ethernet cable and another set of phono leads. You may even get more out your CD6003 by plugging it into the DAC on the NA-7004 (same DAC as that found in the SA-KI Pearl player.)

Also AirPlay for iThings, optical inputs for Blu-ray. (And USB).

Thanks for the input Chebby but - maybe surprisingly these days - I'm only looking at a DAC as a CDP upgrade (not in to this streaming and laptop lark! lol).

I'm on a bit of a mission (once I have the funds sorted) to have a serious look at the Rega DAC. As I'm sure you've researched yourself elsewhere it does seem something rather special (ears to judge of course), but I would love to see if Marantz may possibly be looking down that route as well.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK, have emailed Ken the questions – he's actually on holiday in China, not Brand Ambassadoring, but has kindly agreed to reply and give us some more inisght. Will pass on his comments when I receive them. :type:

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I belive in Marantz. Got a feeling that Pm6004 partner my Monitor audio bx2, Even tho the yamaha a-s500 is good for movies it can not make the music sound natural and alive.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
I belive in Marantz. Got a feeling that Pm6004 partner my Monitor audio bx2, Even tho the yamaha a-s500 is good for movies it can not make the music sound natural and alive.

Get the PM6004 or PM6003. The BX2 speakers are fantastic but the amp (IMO) is the problem here.

A

Anonymous

Apologies for this stupid question.

The specification of PM6004 says: Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm RMS) 45 W / 60 W. So if I connect two speakers each with 8 ohm nominal impedance to "system A" outputs of the amplifier then is the max power output 45 W or 60 W?

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi, just read the review in the whathifi magazine. It seems that there is a huge improvement with the PM6004 over the PM6003.

I originally bought the PM6003/CD6003 combo with the Wharfedale Diamonds 10.1, but was a bit underwhelmed by the performance.

Really looking forward to demoing the PM6004/CD6004 for a bedroom setup and comparing with the MCR603 which sounds superb.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Worth noting that - excellent though they are at their price - the Wharfedale Diamonds won't bring the best out the new Marantz pairing -as we note in our review of the new CD6004/PM6004 pairing, where we suggest three great potential partners, from £380 up....

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Clare, thanks for your reply and nice to meet you. I totally agree with what you have said in your post. I'm pretty sure that the weak link in my original PM6003/CD6003 were the speakers. However the only reason I purchased the combination, was bacause of the price and I thought that the retailers had put together the best performance package for the system. However that is not necessarily the case.

That was my first proper hifi purchase and I have now learn't from that. I just wish that certain retailers would offer more packages with different speakers so that you can get the best out of your system depending on your budget. If I knew that the PM6003/CD6003 could have sounded much better with different speakers, then I would have gone for those instead.

There is however one retailer on the forums who already offers system packages, with many different speaker combinations, which is great to see.

:)

sound10 said:
I just wish that certain retailers would offer more packages with different speakers so that you can get the best out of your system depending on your budget. If I knew that the PM6003/CD6003 could have sounded much better with different speakers, then I would have gone for those instead.

Packages are often great value, but are not usually the best you can do for outright performance. However, they may be the best for the money. Often they will package together popular items on which larger volume discounts can be achieved, which the dealer can pass on, making to total price really attractive.

Your experience only reinforces the advice to listen to some options before buying. On reflection, it would probably have been better to keep your Marantz pair and trade up the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts