Marantz PM6004

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed: we were briefed on this product during the D&M press event a month or two back, but under embargo. Am seeking clarification as to whether the news is now official, or whether the dealer has jumped the gun.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
No built-in DAC.

I know you are looking for all-in-one functionality, but were you expecting one? Or can we now look forward to you posting No built-in amp. whenever there's mention of a new DAC?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I was expecting a slew of new amps in this market sector to start including DACs sooner or later. Just like many amps used to (or still do) have built-in phono stages.

It is not an odd expectation given how many different digital sources people enjoy now (computers, PS3s, MP3 players, Blu-ray players etc.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
No, but as published on several dealers' sites already, the matching CD6004 has a USB input to which iPods, etc., can be connected digitally.

Indeed, but the stand-alone CD player is the source that is increasingly likely to be ommitted by people using a range of different digital sources.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
Indeed, but the stand-alone CD player is the source that is increasingly likely to be ommitted by people using a range of different digital sources.

The Marantz view would clearly seem to differ from yours: otherwise one assumes the company would not have launched these new products in the configurations it has.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
The Marantz view would clearly seem to differ from yours..

It's not just my own view. A number of manufacturers have gone down this path. (Naim and Leema and HK are the first few that come to mind. One or two others facilitate optional plug-in DAC modules in their amps.)

I just thought more mainstream companies would be launching amps with integral DACs soon.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I was expecting a slew of new amps in this market sector to start including DACs sooner or later. Just like many amps used to (or still do) have built-in phono stages.

As much as I'm a fan of the idea (loving the simplicity of my http://esoteric.teac.com/audio_players/rz-1/), I don't see it happening on a large scale myself. Incorporating it in CD players on the other hand, I think is much easier and cheaper to implement as you're just giving access to the DAC that's already on-board (in oversimplified terms).

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait for the review and release. I wonder by how much HDAM will improve soundquality and what pricetag it will get when current pm6003 dropped slightly. I was hoped for the retro orginal premium gold/champange color been avalible, The distortion has increased?

manicm

chebby said:
Andrew Everard said:
The Marantz view would clearly seem to differ from yours..

It's not just my own view. A number of manufacturers have gone down this path. (Naim and Leema and HK are the first few that come to mind. One or two others facilitate optional plug-in DAC modules in their amps.)

I just thought more mainstream companies would be launching amps with integral DACs soon.

That's the Supernait right? Well its built-in DAC is no great-shakes now, and may be surpassed by something like the Rega DAC.

In the Marantz's price range there's next to nothing - oh wait there's the Onkyo but its inputs are limited. So simply put at this price level there's simply no integrated worth having. I'd gladly put up with 2 boxes knowing I've got top notch amplification and DAC.

If NAD can do a cheaper M2 for 600 quid I'd be the first out the door alas...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Am setting up some email questions to ask Ken Ishiwata – who's Brand Ambassadoring in China at the moment – about the new products, ahead of a news or blog piece to come in the next few days.

So far I've got:

'Why no DAC in the amp?'

'Does anyone buy CD players any more?'

'Why no champagne finish?'

Any more for any more? Hope to send off questions sometime tomorrow.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
very good idea to ask him, about dac and champange finish maybe about if they got any ideas of extern marantz dacs, but it sounds quite incorrect to ask him if there is anyone that buy cdplayers :?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
That's the Supernait right?

Yes that was the obvious one, but there are also these from both well known and less well-known manufacturers...

Leema Pulse III (£1500)

Harman Kardon HK990 (£1099)

Cyrus 6XPd (£1250) and the 8XPd and 8XPd QX

Bel Canto C5i DAC integrated amplifier (£1700) 5 digital inputs, MM phono stage and analogue line level.

Peachtree Audio Decco2 (£850)

SimAudio Moon i3.3 (£2700 + DAC module)

I've no doubt there are more examples of integrated amps with built in DACs.

I've also no doubt that the concept will not go away and will become more commonplace at 'mainstream' budget levels no matter how unpopular or risible it seems to some people now.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I would be very interested to learn what his thoughts are on stand alone DAC's, and if Marantz have any thoughts on introducing one of their own.

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sizzers said:
I would be very interested to learn what his thoughts are on stand alone DAC's, and if Marantz have any thoughts on introducing one of their own. Thanks.

I'm really only intending to ask about the products in question, as I said, but I'll see what I can do.

matthewpiano

If the new amp represents the same improvement as the PM6003 did when it replaced the PM6002, the new model could be something very very special indeed.

I'd be very interested to know exactly what changes have been made from the outgoing amp.

matthewpiano

Ah, yes! Thanks for that Cypher :oops:

So, basically it shares a huge amount with the PM6003 - Marantz being eminently sensible and not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Will be very interesting to see how much difference the discrete circuits make to the performance. I'm sure the new kit will be on demo at the Manchester Show.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
In the Marantz's price range there's next to nothing - oh wait there's the Onkyo but its inputs are limited. So simply put at this price level there's simply no integrated worth having.

Rega Brio-R. Would be interesting how the PM6004 and Brio-R will compare. Marantz can make great budget-amps, as it has proved with the PM6003, but I'm not sure if it can play in the same league as the new baby Rega.

manicm

Bas73 said:
chebby said:
In the Marantz's price range there's next to nothing - oh wait there's the Onkyo but its inputs are limited. So simply put at this price level there's simply no integrated worth having.

Rega Brio-R. Would be interesting how the PM6004 and Brio-R will compare. Marantz can make great budget-amps, as it has proved with the PM6003, but I'm not sure if it can play in the same league as the new baby Rega.

You're actually quoting me, and I meant integrateds with a DAC.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Bas73 said:
chebby said:

Please do not misquote me.

Someone else said that.

I'm out of this thread.

TRENDING THREADS