Marantz PM6004 or Yamaha AS500 with Monitor Audio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Its the same question that im sure conutless people have asked before. I am looking to change my old technics amp and have been looking at the marantz and the yamaha. I will be using them MA BX2 but may eventually upgrade these to RX2's. I will keep my technics CD player to start with but this may also get exchanged for a marantz CD6004.

I have been told by a friend who works at richer sounds that the yamaha is the more powerful amp and better value for money but I dont want it to sound too bright or harsh which some people claim it does.

So I guess my main question is if I did upgrade to the monitor audio RX2, would either of these amps be powerful enough to run them at decent volume?

matthewpiano

The Marantz is the better of those two amps but I'd suggest also trying the NAD C326BEE. Works well with MA speakers and grips better than either the Marantz or the Yamaha. Either the NAD or the Marantz would do a fine job though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. I hadnt even looked at the NAD until now. I was under the impression the NAD would be out of my price range but maybe I was looking at higher models.

matthewpiano

The best thing would be to audition two or all three of these amps with the MAs so that you can decide with your own ears. To be fair, all three are capable amps and which one suits you best will be down to personal preference.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again Matthew, what about in terms of power and build quality? is there much between them?

matthewpiano

Build quality is good on all three though the Yamaha suffers from slightly plasticky controls and flimsy speaker binding posts and the NAD is an acquired taste visually - I love their straight forward, no nonsense appearance but not everybody does. For all-round build quality the Marantz probably just edges the other two.

The Yamaha is the most powerful on paper, but NAD amps always have impressive current delivery and the C326BEE always has plenty of current in reserve for musical climaxes and transients. It is one of the things I have always loved about the C32x series amps. I've owned the Yamaha, a Marantz PM6003, and the Rotel RA-04SE (as well as lots of other amps) and I've always kept coming back to NAD.

Like I say, though, an audition is the only way to decide.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have a Yamaha S500 and love it. people say its a bright amp but linked with my B&W 685's it sounds fabulous. what poeple say about the plasticy feel is all bogus becuase whilst its plastic its far better than plastics i found uised in similary pricved cambridge audio amps. The yamaha will also with its extra wattage be able to cope with larger more demanding speakers too

Matt

A

Anonymous

I had the Yamaha and BX5's.

The Yamaha is great value, powerful and detailed, the reason I sold on was that it was a bit too 'clinical' and lacking depth for my personal taste, though I don't think the 5's helped.

Haven't tried the Marantz, but allegedly it has a smoother sound - you'll have to have a listen.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys, I have spoken to my local RS store and they can setup the two amps for a demo. I will see if I can get the demo on Friday and then buy 1 of the amps so it gives me a new toy for the weekend :grin:

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
tested Nad 316, Yam AS 500 and Marantz pm 6004Only my impressions with my old B&W and B&W 684 in store (rock and Jazz):
Yam AS 500: very open sound , great horizontal image stage, but with too present high freq., for me; bass good only with loudness in, not very ergonomic remote and front commands; very, very easy to mark with fingers on the front (incredible!);
Nad 316: good bass, but not at low volume; medium-high freq. a little bit confuse; very ergonomic and nice.
Marantz 6004: more liquid and natural medium freq.; bass enough, but you can add something at low volume with loudness, not possible with Nad;
built like a tank in Japan, with golden input/output, smart and nice remote, that I found can drive my 20 years old CD Philips too!
MARANTZ - PM 6004
Bancs d'essai
I'd like to hear others impressions about Nad 326 and Marantz 6004 differences, thanks.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Your speakers are great so they deserve a good amp !

I would go for the Marantz PM6004 or the NAD C326BEE.............both fantastic amps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for the replies, I am edging towards the Marantz PM6004. I also like the fact that it is still built in Japan, I know this wont effect the sound quality but I have always found built in Japan components to be very reliable.

I have checked the specs for the amp I currently have (technics sua900mk2) and according to the speck sheet it offers:

20hz - 20khz continuous power output with both channels driven of 2x 90 watts at 8 ohms

1khz continuous power output with both channels driven (THD: 1%) 2x 100 watts at 8 ohms and 2x 140 watts at 4 ohms

63hz - 12.5khz continuous power output with both channels driven (THD:0.7%) 2x 90 watts at 8 ohms and 2x 125 at 4 ohms

Total harmonic distortion 20hz - 20khz is 0.01% at 8 ohms

Frequency response 3hz - 80khz (+0, -3DB) / +0 DB, -0.3DB (20hz - 20khz)

I know the specks may be exaggerated by Technics or the way in which they measure these things may have changed in the last 15 years but does anyone know how these will stack up against the Marantz PM6004 and which of the above specks are the ones that make most difference when selecting an amp.

Mo

A

Anonymous

Also wanted to add that my current amplifier has a damping factor of 60 (8 ohms) or 30 (4 ohms). This seems quite low compared to some of the modern amps, could this be the reason why the bass on my system doesnt seem tight and controlled?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn a little about how things work.

A

Anonymous

Anyone able to help with if a higher damping factor is better?

A

Anonymous

I never managed to buy the Marantz this weekend but will do hopefully on Thursday. Does anyone know what the standard warranty is for Marantz amps in the UK?

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
High damping factor = high negative feedback = too much correction for distorsion

damping factor Yam AS 500 = 240

damping factor Mara pm 6004 = 100

Yam is better for his widespread highs and variable loudness

Mara pm 6004 for bass, liquid mid- high and soft highs

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply GCE, the marantz sounds like it would have the warmer sound and thats what im looking for.

A

Anonymous

I listened to the PM6004 and the NAD C326BEE in a 3 hour audition this weekend. For reference I compared it to the Roksan Kandy k2 which costs £750. Speakers we used were the B&W CM1, Monitor Audio BX2,BX5, RX1 and RX2s. I honestly prefered the PM6004s more natural sound. I didn't like the NAD, it was to bright for my liking. The Roksan had plenty of punch and was very precise but a little to excitable and clinical for my liking. I bought the Marantz and the B&W CM1s and am extremely happy with them.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Dear Rodd, can you better explain your test Nad 326 vs Mar pm 6004 !

It's sounds a little strange the Nad's brightness, all the world claiming about

Nad's warmness...Tanks v much!

A

Anonymous

Hi, yes to my ears the NAD was a little too bright (not harsh) particularly through the Monitor Audio Speakers although the CM1s calmed that down significantly. When switching to the PM6004 the sound just felt smooth and natural. Vocals were fascinatingly clear without a hint of fatigue. We switched back and forth a good few times and i just found the PM6004 more to my liking. So i bought it along with the B&W CM1s, which i also thought were the best amongst the speakers tested.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Rod, did you find the Marantz struggle with any of the speakers you tried it with especially the RX2? Also how did the Monitor Audio BX2 sound with the Marantz?

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately, I have found what some others have found with the Yamaha. It does some things really great but the upper midrange is harsh and the higher frequencies can also be a bit agressive. The over all result is fatique and sometimes pain. Despite all the things it does great, what good is an amp if you can only listen for 10 min. at a time. It is possible that not all people are equally sensitive to this harshness or that their speakers do not reveal it. Through my stystem though there was no escaping it. I would have to recommend the Marantz.

A

Anonymous

I have purchased a NAD C326BEE and will also get the older but more powerful Marantz PM7200. Then I will compare both these amps with what my current technics and keep the 1 that most suits me. First impressions on the NAD are a little confusing, it does sound nice and open and I can see why matthewpiano likes it so much. I have partnered it at the moment with a marantz cd63 ki signature and monitor audio bx2 and depending on the type of music I am listening to it sounds great.

My only issue is that I find the midrange disappear a litle and the low end increase once the volume knob gets past the 9 o'clock mark. And it looses that perfect balance it has at the lower volume. Maybe thats just in my setup or my room acoustics causes it.

I will give it more time and thought and regardless of what I end up keeping in my setup I still think the NAD is a brilliant amp.

matthewpiano

Hi Mohsin. Interesting to read your comments. I very rarely get as loud as 9 o'clock on the dial and usually listen around 8 o'clock, so I'm not that familiar with its performance at louder levels. I'll give it a try when the neighbours are out and see how it goes. I will be especially interested in your comparison between the NAD and the PM7200 as both are amongst my favourite amps.

A

Anonymous

I will have the task of finding a mint PM7200 first. I have seen a few come about on ebay but there usually badly marked and I am quite particular about the condition of any equipment I keep. I have a feeling the 7200 will be a warmer sound then the NAD but dont think it will have the same open soundstage. Something I have noticed about the NAD is that if it is used for 2/3 hours it does get quite warm/hot. Never having owned any NAD equipment before I am not sure if this is the norm. I have used a few Onkyo receivers before and they generally run even hotter despite having fans.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts