Marantz PM5005 or Onkyo A-9010,what is best?

gasolin

nopiano said:
Based on other models from the same makers, I'd expect the Marantz to offer a slightly richer sound, but I certainly wouldn't suggest swapping your existing amp for something that is very similar.

Just wondering since the onkyo is the best budget amp but the PM5005 is cheaper then the Onkyo amp and if the PM6005 is not noticeable better then the PM5005 just has a bit more power an digital input, if the PM5005 would beat the onkyo A-9010

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I would not bother swapping budget amps will not gain you very much, save up for an amp. at a higher level or buy a used one.

Having owned both an entry level Onkyo and an entry level Marantz I would say the same - both good in different ways but no clear winner. The Marantz is aesthetically better imo. Fully agree that buying better new or 2nd hand is the way forward.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The marantz pm5005 will sound the same as the marantz pm6005 just that the 5005 will have less power that's all but you had the marantz pm6005 and you said you did not like it ? Anyway if you really want a really good upgrade I would try and get your hands on a secondhand marantz pm8005 it has a different sound then the 6005 and you would not be disappointed with it I've said to you all a long get your self a much better amp instead of playing around with budget amps even though the marantz pm6005 is a cracking little amp for the money

gasolin

Was just thinking if the marantz where better (best buy) if whathifi rewied it and compared it with Onkyo

Whathifi can't review all amp,cdplayer,speakers......you name it, just thought if the onkyo would sound better in my system and with a price difference of only 20% is not that big of a deal, the marantz PM5005 only costs less then 150£ where i live and i have 1 week to return my marantz

I bought it because i needed a bit more open sounding amp and it matches my CD5005 which i really like alot, silent,easy and fast to use,sounds good and cheap, also less then 150£ actually precise the same as the amp, also i can use my clearer audio alpha one power mains which no other new budget amp allows me to do and that would make a diffrence, if not big then tiny improvement in sound quality, i might as well use it if i have it (the power mains)

The used i have looked at where just sooo big but top of the line (sony ta-f730es)

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
The marantz pm5005 will sound the same as the marantz pm6005 just that the 5005 will have less power that's all but you had the marantz pm6005 and you said you did not like it ? Anyway if you really want a really good upgrade I would try and get your hands on a secondhand marantz pm8005 it has a different sound then the 6005 and you would not be disappointed with it I've said to you all a long get your self a much better amp instead of playing around with budget amps even though the marantz pm6005 is a cracking little amp for the money

You remembered

The PM6005 where a bit to bright and not enough bass with my old speakers

The speakers i have now is more neutral and bass extention is better, with the wireworld luna 7 i needed a more open sounding amp and i didn't want to pay for the dac in the PM6005 since i don't need it, that's why i got the PM5005 with a very clear and open sound (i know i buy alot new stuff)

I have looked at the older pm15 but i think i would go for a newer amp like the Marantz PM8005, i have just heard some people say it has a more bright sound then the PM6005

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

You remembered

The PM6005 where a bit to bright and not enough bass with my old speakers

The speakers i have now is more neutral and bass extention is better, with the wireworld luna 7 i needed a more open sounding amp and i didn't want to pay for the dac in the PM6005 since i don't need it, that's why i got the PM5005 with a very clear and open sound (i know i buy alot new stuff)

I have looked at the older pm15 but i think i would go for a newer amp like the Marantz PM8005, i have just heard some people say it has a more bright sound then the PM6005
well maybe this people have just paired the marantz pm8005 with the wrong speakers because the marantz pm8005 sounds good with Dali speakers and not bright because normally your get the bright sounding sound coming from the speaker side of things not the amp its self but what I have heard is some people thing the marantz amps sound laid back but again it comes down to matching the right speakers in the first place

gasolin

Listening to billy joels piano man (legacy edition) and it sounds very good, i do often get this foot tapping feeling when listening to music

It's only at high levels or with very bright record music the sound is a bit bright

Just don't have to sit that close when playing loud (pc) and the bright recording will always be bright, that is just how they are recorded

I wanted to know if there would be an advantage going for the onkyo A-9010 since it wouldn't be a big difference in price, i have something for sale but that only give me a b stock marantz PM7005, i have heard it's not that good for music when theres alot going on and it could get a bit messy,uncontrolled so next time atleast a PM8005 (just a bit more then 600£ in denmark)

I don't think i ever would be able to afford a Hegel or Electrocompaginet amp

For the money the PM5005 does a really good job

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts