Marantz Pm5004 vs Yamaha As500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

New to the forum and new to Hi Fi. I'm putting together a budget Hi Fi which will probably include a pro-ject essential TT and some of those lovely Q Acoustc 2020i spekers.

I'm torn between the amps mentioned above and unfortunately i cannot try before i buy. Anyone have any insight into which i should go for or perhaps recommand an amp in a similar price range?

It will be used in a small room and obviously needs a phono stage fot the TT. I just want a nice neutral balanced sound. Also, speaker cables is another confusing area.... QEDs perhaps?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Danny.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
New developments in my research about AS 500 at home with my system: after two or three hours, I begin to think that something is no good for me;the detail is excellent, the spatiality and roomy compared to my old Quad 306 + 34 is much greater and involving, my CDs seem to be rediscovered, etc., but there are always too highs freq for my poor ears; There are low, too, but for me the rest of the range tends to take the upper hand; at night or when there is someone in the room with me, I find myself to lower the volume and put the loudness about halfway down, where it begins to act very decisively (Yam, command fantastic very useful patent, which I would recommend to introduce in all the under 1000 € amps, above I don't know ...) essential to hear the tv movies in the evening; the various commands, against to my first impressions, in practice they are really unhappy, ponderous, and induce to error, nothing to do with the crafty-ergonomic-essential-original pre Quad 34; the small lights of a sad amber yellow, almost invisible in the evening; the remote control works even at 180 degrees, but boring to use; I also the sub connected to the output, but at low volumes of amp, even with its own volume to max, is not very audible (down to 80 Hz cut ): 2 days after I turned it off, using only loudness for movie (little less than half), with excellent results, but with the highs average always lurking;---------------------------------------------------------------------------So after a week I brought everything and I tried Nad 316, 326 and Marantz pm6003/4 with B & W 684 and the 560 Thesis.Liquid sounds, preferring full-bodied, rubberised on medium high for rock, Jazz, sinfo,I'm moving to the Marantz pair + B & W, allowing the loudness as well, with, plays and movies in the evening with the entire tonal range minimum; also vol What with the Nad is not possible or listen to: 1 degree or lose the lower part of the freq.Nad great to decent volume, for me;The 6004 is also very ergonomic answer to Yam and a luxurious look (I'd say glamour)answer to all of them and who cares if it did not release pre, and various subwoofer! even in the dark after 2 min was already the various commands maybe x recordings on the fly by TV or Radio, as with the Quad.******************After a day I was + really want it on, but I had to do to realize everything and not even felt the desire to throw him a look, what with Quad was also off at various hours of the day: this I did take the fatal decision: carryover all Yam and sub, ordino B & W 684 and Meransen 6004 or 3 and excuse the outburst

camcroft

GCE said:
New developments in my research about AS 500 at home with my system: after two or three hours, I begin to think that something is no good for me;the detail is excellent, the spatiality and roomy compared to my old Quad 306 + 34 is much greater and involving, my CDs seem to be rediscovered, etc., but there are always too highs freq for my poor ears; There are low, too, but for me the rest of the range tends to take the upper hand; at night or when there is someone in the room with me, I find myself to lower the volume and put the loudness about halfway down, where it begins to act very decisively (Yam, command fantastic very useful patent, which I would recommend to introduce in all the under 1000 € amps, above I don't know ...) essential to hear the tv movies in the evening; the various commands, against to my first impressions, in practice they are really unhappy, ponderous, and induce to error, nothing to do with the crafty-ergonomic-essential-original pre Quad 34; the small lights of a sad amber yellow, almost invisible in the evening; the remote control works even at 180 degrees, but boring to use; I also the sub connected to the output, but at low volumes of amp, even with its own volume to max, is not very audible (down to 80 Hz cut ): 2 days after I turned it off, using only loudness for movie (little less than half), with excellent results, but with the highs average always lurking;---------------------------------------------------------------------------So after a week I brought everything and I tried Nad 316, 326 and Marantz pm6003/4 with B & W 684 and the 560 Thesis.Liquid sounds, preferring full-bodied, rubberised on medium high for rock, Jazz, sinfo,I'm moving to the Marantz pair + B & W, allowing the loudness as well, with, plays and movies in the evening with the entire tonal range minimum; also vol What with the Nad is not possible or listen to: 1 degree or lose the lower part of the freq.Nad great to decent volume, for me;The 6004 is also very ergonomic answer to Yam and a luxurious look (I'd say glamour)answer to all of them and who cares if it did not release pre, and various subwoofer! even in the dark after 2 min was already the various commands maybe x recordings on the fly by TV or Radio, as with the Quad.******************After a day I was + really want it on, but I had to do to realize everything and not even felt the desire to throw him a look, what with Quad was also off at various hours of the day: this I did take the fatal decision: carryover all Yam and sub, ordino B & W 684 and Meransen 6004 or 3 and excuse the outburst
????????????????

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes for more liquid midrange and highs, phono input, loudness for evening and tv listenings and construction.

I hope the power is enough...

A

Anonymous

Havent heard the marantz 6004 recently (though 6003 before). I have always prefered marantz to for rotel and Nad. Marantz is a very good choice for warming up and smooth the sometimes hard monitor audio speakers. Always prefered marantz to rotel during A/B tests.

I have tested both marantz 7004 and a NAD 356 at home to my dynaudio 2/6 and there was a big problem with NADs hard character. The bass became a bit stronger but the highs and peaks got too much. And I always found myself lowering the volume.

With the marantz 7004 it warms and smooth things up, silky feel to the ears and just want to go higher on the volume knob.

My experience with other words is that if u find the yamaha hard on the ears, I think Marantz is the way to go!

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
What do you think about this speakers? I drove them with
Yam AS500, but the mid highs were too strong for me;
maybe with Marantz 6004 should I obtain more liquid sound, but
will the power enough for not very loud listening in 30sqm ?

Has anyone tried the new amp Marantz pm 6004?
How could it behave with B&W dm1800, an old
middle road between the current 684 and 685 in dimension and sound?
- see figure - Thanks a lot!

841afd7b-df9e-4e48-9f1c-3567.jpg
51933210-4e61-45ea-8292-8b11.jpg

thanks

camcroft

GCE said:
What do you think about this speakers? I drove them with
Yam AS500, but the mid highs were too strong for me;
maybe with Marantz 6004 should I obtain more liquid sound, but
will the power enough for not very loud listening in 30sqm ?

Has anyone tried the new amp Marantz pm 6004?
How could it behave with B&W dm1800, an old
middle road between the current 684 and 685 in dimension and sound?
- see figure - Thanks a lot!

841afd7b-df9e-4e48-9f1c-3567.jpg
51933210-4e61-45ea-8292-8b11.jpg

thanks
Hello. GCE!!!!! Is that you

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
You got it - I'm a fish sign - double fish=double name :rofl:

excuse my bad English!

really, give me some good input, please! bye!

A

Anonymous

I do believe the subject matter is the 5004, not the 100 pounds more expensive 6004. Any words on the 5004 vs the 6004?

TRENDING THREADS