Help build my entry-level set-up. Tips and advice for a newcomer.

robertzombie

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster looking for some advice on my first "hi-fi" set-up.

I've currently got a fairly modest set-up and I'm looking to upgrade to some entry-level hi-fi gear. I have a Pro-Ject Essential TT with the stock Ortofon OM5e cartridge (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=essential), a Pro-Ject Phono Box (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000YEK1AQ), and Behringer MS16 speakers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00181T20O).

I'm looking at replacing the speakers and buying an integrated amplifier. I haven't been to any demos yet as I'm still researching but, based on reviews I've read online, I'd defintely like to check out the following speakers: Q Acoustics 2020i, Wharfedale Diamond 121, Dali Zensor 3.

I like the look and spec of the Denon PMA720AE amplifier and would see it as an investment, but I wonder if it's really necessary for my listening environment - perhaps the 520 would suffice? I live in a one bedroom flat, the music room is 3 m / 3 m.

My budget is between £400-£500. I mostly listen to post-punk and new wave, along with some classic rock and contemporary dark electro. A strong kick drum, sparkly guitars, and clean vocal is important to me.

At the moment, the set-up will be used almost solely for playing vinyl but also for connecting my iPod occasionally (I'm aware the PMA720AE doesn't have a dedicated iPod input). This will be my first major foray into hi-fi construction so I was wondering if you experienced lot could suggest a few pointers?

Thanks

Rob.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
robertzombie said:
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster looking for some advice on my first "hi-fi" set-up.

I've currently got a fairly modest set-up and I'm looking to upgrade to some entry-level hi-fi gear. I have a Pro-Ject Essential TT with the stock Ortofon OM5e cartridge (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=essential), a Pro-Ject Phono Box (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000YEK1AQ), and Behringer MS16 speakers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00181T20O).

I'm looking at replacing the speakers and buying an integrated amplifier. I haven't been to any demos yet as I'm still researching but, based on reviews I've read online, I'd defintely like to check out the following speakers: Q Acoustics 2020i, Wharfedale Diamond 121, Dali Zensor 3.

I like the look and spec of the Denon PMA720AE amplifier and would see it as an investment, but I wonder if it's really necessary for my listening environment - perhaps the 520 would suffice? I live in a one bedroom flat, the music room is 3 m / 3 m.

My budget is between £400-£500. I mostly listen to post-punk and new wave, along with some classic rock and contemporary dark electro. A strong kick drum, sparkly guitars, and clean vocal is important to me.

At the moment, the set-up will be used almost solely for playing vinyl but also for connecting my iPod occasionally (I'm aware the PMA720AE doesn't have a dedicated iPod input). This will be my first major foray into hi-fi construction so I was wondering if you experienced lot could suggest a few pointers?

Thanks

Rob.

Given where you are at and what your budget is you seem to have picked the obvious choices.

Given the room, small and square, I would go with the Zensor1 for their tight and controlled bass and buy the better amplifier but that's me, any hint of bass boom and i'm reaching for the off switch.

Decent speaker stands, obviously and if you have not already done so, some isolation for your record player.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
In respect of the amplifier, the Denon is a good choice - I would agree with DDC though, the PMA720AE is the better option. I would also suggest having a listen to the Pioneer A30.

Speaker wise, considering the space that you have available I would look at the Dali Zensor 1's and the Q 2020i's. The new Tannoy Mercury V1i is also another option to put on the demo list.

justlikeheaven

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rob

Those are all very good speaker choices and I'm sure they would all serve you well, but my advice would be to ditch the Denon and go up a level in terms of the amplifier.

I also listen to a lot of post-punk and new wave and I use a Marantz PM6003 (twice superceded now by the 6004 and 6005 models) however I have to admit that it is a cracking amp for the money and you would be hard pushed to find better, It also has the iPod connectivity covered. You may be able to find a 6004 model for less than £300 but I think it would be worth it.

Food for thought.

Sanjay

robertzombie

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions
smiley-laughing.gif
I'm hoping to do my shopping during the New Year's sales, so maybe some of this stuff might reduce slightly in price.

I've read a lot of good reviews for Marantz's amps, but I personally prefer the look of the Denon range. Sanjay, which speakers do you use with the Marantz?

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Personally I'd demo adam f7, f5. Will be similar quality plus a bit cheaper.

Second hand nad c350, c370, arcaam alpha 9, arcam alpha 10 plus monitor audio rx1 will give a mid level, not budget for £4-500.

All IMO. You will also be happy with dali/marantz.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
alienmango said:
Personally I'd demo adam f7, f5. Will be similar quality plus a bit cheaper.

Second hand nad c350, c370, arcaam alpha 9, arcam alpha 10 plus monitor audio rx1 will give a mid level, not budget for £4-500.

All IMO. You will also be happy with dali/marantz.

Might be awkward. The only volume control in the system would be on the speakers, not ideal.

If you want to go this route the cheapest fully active design that would work well would be the Nubert A100.

Including shipping they will be nearly £500 and no chance to listen, so probably not a good option.

Interesting looking product though.....

http://www.nubert.de/nupro-serie-neu/420/

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I think Nubert give you a month's trial, and they pay for return shipping, but google German translation isn't that great so you'd need to check with Nubert first.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I think Nubert give you a month's trial, and they pay for return shipping, but google German translation isn't that great so you'd need to check with Nubert first.

Quite right not to trust Google translate, though in this case it happens to be correct. Return shipping is free, within the EU.

:santa:

Matt

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
There has been a lot of safe options given (Aside from the Nubert which has sparked my interest), all of which I'm sure would sound good. Definitely demo as much as you can and remember that second hand is an option. Granted, it's not one I'd always recommend but you do occasionally find some gems amongst the coal. The Marantz/Zensor 1 combo is very good.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I would look into a used or open-box demo Naim Nait 5i from a reputable second hand retailer. They are built like a tank so will last and the sound quality will be way above any budget Marantz or Denon amp. Just sayin'

you would still need to use your proJect phono stage however as it's not built into the Nait.

Or you could try the Rega Brio R integrated amp. It does have a phono stage. And is also quite a decent performer.

matthewpiano

Have to say I've been tempted to buy a Brio-R on several occasions but every time I give it a listen it really isn't any better than the Pioneer A-30 or the Denon PMA720AE I had before. There is a lot of hype surrounding some of the British kit like Rega and Naim, and it is good sounding stuff, but I've often found it just isn't worth the premium over Japanese hi-fi which benefits from better economies of scale. Just my opinion.

To the OP, you've got a great budget turntable there and a good phono stage. What you do next depends on how brave you are, and what the audition options are near you. In your position I'd be tempted to have a listen to the Pro-ject Stereo Box DS with the Pro-ject Speaker Box 5 as well as speakers like the Dali Zensor 1 (in your limited space better than the 3s) and the Q Acoustics 2020i. If you aren't feeling so brave then the Pioneer A-30 amp has a huge amount going for it - good build, clear and nicely controlled sound, and not a hint of bloating in the bass. It is an absolute bargain and will service you well.

You'll need to dem if possible and see which combination works best for you. Agree with Matthew, though, in as far as there's little to choose when it comes to SQ (based on a £200 amp and £500 pounder). In fact there's little between that and £1000 amp, with one or two exceptions.

perhaps look at the newer Rotels and Marantzes.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Something slightly different;

Shop around for a s/h cyrus 8vs2. You have to time it right but you should get a good one for £300/£350. Project do good, cheap phono stages, get an original SE (or SE2) rather than the entry level new ones and something like Mission's M71i is a great addition. They will make for a punchy, detailed and musical system.

regards

TRENDING THREADS