Marantz PM50 Replacement

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I purchased a Marantz PM50 on Ebay a few years ago and when I got it one of the channels had to be balanced over onto the other a bit more to get an equal stereo balance due to one of the channels dieing.

Its now completely died on that side.

I've been using it with Mission floor standing speakers.

This equipment is from the 90's and that was also my era for partying etc and I have absolutely loved the sound it has produced over the last few years.

I'm now thinking do I put it on for repair or bite the bullet and buy a new amp and speakers.

Its a bit of a pain as I have to use a Analogue to Digital converter and was thinking shall I just buy a new modern Amp, however if I did, how much and what types of Amps would I need to look at to get the similar type of quality sound, as I understand the PM50 was quite a good Amp back in the day?

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
I suspect the amp will cost more to repair than buying a replacement even if you buy used. Most "repairers" these days charge £20 to £30 just to eveluate the item. If you don't have the skills to DIY then sell it on ebay as "spares or repair" and invest the proceeds in a replacement.
If you like the sound I'd stick with Marantz. The newest generation sound pretty good although the price point has crept up a notch or two. I have a PM5005 which includes a phono stage and I love the effortless sound it produces, a friend has a PM 800x (I forget the last number) which sounds great but cost him almost a grand!

D

Deleted member 108165

If you like the Marantz sound then stay with them. There's the 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000 series amps, (plus others), take your pick. Quite a fan of Marantz myself as well.

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi All, thank you for your replies that's really great.

Yes I really do love the sound of the Merantz, so much so that at the time I purchased it from Ebay I also purchased a Pioneer (can't remember the model but was a model that got rave reviews) and I had them both set up and listened to them both one after the other using the same speakers and I found the Pioneer a lot more of a rough (more coarse) sounding, not saying its better than or worse than the Marantz but just different and I preferred the Marantz. I then sold that and the buyer came around my house and I set it all up to show him it working and he loved the sound of it and was over the moon with it, so just goes to ago different peoples preferences.

Anyway so as I like the Marantz sound, I understand I should get another because they will all have a similar sound?

My main concern is the speaker choice to match it to, as I understand different speakers and amps don't all go well together?

I don't really have any budget lol as just purchased a house in Feb, but i can make one available lol, but would ideally like to stay around 800 - 1500 max for both amp and speakers if possible?

matthewpiano

I'd agree with other comments here. If you enjoyed the PM50, stick with Marantz. The 'house sound' hasn't changed a great deal over the years, though the more recent amps perhaps offer more detail and a little more punch. The PM6007 is a cracking amp, though the price for the 6000 series has crept up over the years, and this new model will set you back £500. Still, it's totally competitive with any new amplifier around its price.

If you are comfortable at that price point it would also be worth considering the Rotel RA11 Tribute - another cracking buy and stronger rhythmically than the Marantz.

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
I notice you also wish to buy new speakers. I would strongly recommend the Marantz PM6007 with Dali Oberon 5s - within budget and a thoroughly involving and enjoyable combination.

Hi Mate thanks for the above information I see that amp gets superb reviews!

However I note there's no USB or Bluetooth on it, is there one equally as good sounding with USB and Bluetooth and Ethernet? As that would be the icing on the cake if it has! 👍

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
You say you need to replace the speakers. Is that because they have a fault or do you just fancy a change? Have you tried using the other hand component?
If you have a voltmeter disconnect both speakers and check there is no DC on the output terminals of the amplifier. If all is OK then:
With power OFF. Take the speaker for the channel that is working and connect it to the other output - switch on and check it now does not work. It will do no harm not to have a load connected to the working channel, especially if it is only for a second or two. Also for the cd input left for right & vice versa. This will make sure it is the amp that is at fault and not another component.

rainsoothe

Hi Mate thanks for the above information I see that amp gets superb reviews!

However I note there's no USB or Bluetooth on it, is there one equally as good sounding with USB and Bluetooth and Ethernet? As that would be the icing on the cake if it has! 👍
Probably the Marantz PM7000N does all that. It will make you shoot over budget, but the Dali Oberon 5 are worth it, and maybe a dealer will give you a discount if you buy them together, or you could just hold on to your current speakers for now (or forever, if you like the sound).

Gray

Hi Mate I'm not unfortunately whys that mate?
...I just fancied making your PM50 work again!
Maybe you've got the desire / money for a new amp - fair enough.
But as you like the old one.....if you can use a screwdriver....
Have a read of this old thread.
I strongly suspect your cure will be just as straightforward:

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
I have the same problem with a Sony amp which is in the system in my workshop. The switches are long & thin and controlled by a push tape (?) from the rotary switch. This was the reason for the questions above.
I used a cleaner/lube I obtained from the pound shop. I have had to do it twice in about 5 years as the workshop is very cold & prone to condensation. At least you can do this with the cover off, not like the AV amp I'm trying to repair, 36 screws in the back panel alone and you have to remove three boards to test the power transistors.
Anyone got a 7915a voltage regulator (plastic package) going spare?

Reactions: Gray

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
"E-bay have plenty. Best price £2.06 Inc. postage. "
Thanks, yes I have ordered one from ebay but (after I ordered it) I was told delivery will take 10 days.
My wife is fed up of the skeleton of the AV amp in the dining room so I was hoping to get one a bit quicker.
You won't believe how much you have to dismantle to get a the part you need - 36 screws on the back panel alone & they don't half rattle as the go up the vacuum cleaner.
Anyway, I'll wait for the seller to send it now.

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
...I just fancied making your PM50 work again!
Maybe you've got the desire / money for a new amp - fair enough.
But as you like the old one.....if you can use a screwdriver....
Have a read of this old thread.
I strongly suspect your cure will be just as straightforward:

Hi Gray,

That is really very kind of you mate and very much appreciated, there's not many people around these days like that, well done mate i wish you the very best 😊👍

Hi All,

Just wanted to say, and this was before Gray posted the above, a big thank you too all of you on this thread, it sad my first post, and didn't really know what to expect, as I've been a member of many different forums (not Hi Fi), and you do seem to experience a lot of idiots purely out there to make others look stupid and themselves look more superior, however you've all been really kind and helpful, therefore thank you for this really appreciate it 😊🙏👍

Anyway, back on to the Amp.....

Something strange has happened....

I took it into my work last week, as we have a guy who works repairing electronic circuit boards etc., and I asked him if he would mind taking a look at it to see if he can repair it, and I would pay him for whatever it needs, as I do not want it done for nothing (he's a really nice bloke).

Anyway I went into the office the other day to find it sitting on top of my desk, and later on in the day when he walked into my office, I looked up at him and said dead is it ready for the tip? I he said 'I couldn't find anything wrong with it.' I said well it's definitely not working on the right channel, he said he's checked both and both are working, and to swap the speakers around as it may be the speakers. I said I had already done that (and had already explained to him that when I took it into him), he then said well in that case it may be something on the input side, maybe a loose sonnedtion on the right channel of the input, and said to check that... So yesterday I put it all together and guess what? It all works perfectly fine!

Now I'm SURE there wasnt any inputs not connected when there was an issue with it, and also what's strange is it used to have a loose volume knob, it used to wobble side to side, that's fine now as well.....

Therefore I'm going to ask him on Wednesday when I'm back in if he's SURE he hasn't done anything with it.... As it feels like Santa has come to me early lol, somebody giving and not wanting you to know who they are...... 😄

But how will I ever know?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts