Marantz PM14s1SE first impressions.

Well. It’s early days (hours) yet, but immediately the amp is clearer, more dynamic, lively, punchy, tons of detail. It’s really making my Focal Speakers sing. It’s a more natural polished sound, Bass is there, with a lovely kick. Big soundstage, absolutely brilliant . Just trying the phono stage out, and yeah it’s a good one. You need to ramp the volume up a bit, but the quality is undeniable . I’m over the moon with my purchase.

ive bought blind again, and hit the jackpot

D

Deleted member 108165

bigfish786 said:
Well. It’s early days (hours) yet, but immediately the amp is clearer, more dynamic, lively, punchy, tons of detail. It’s really making my Focal Speakers sing. It’s a more natural polished sound, Bass is there, with a lovely kick. Big soundstage, absolutely brilliant . Just trying the phono stage out, and yeah it’s a good one. You need to ramp the volume up a bit, but the quality is undeniable . I’m over the moon with my purchase.

Excellent Bigfish, welcome to the Marantz fold *good*

Is the volume pot the typical Marantz - loud at 9am variety? If it is then I highly recommend -10db Rothwell passive attenuators, they not only give you a larger sweep on the dial but also balance out the inputs across the phono section bringing the phono stage more in line with other sources; plus I have found them totally transparent. Personally I think Marantz phono stages are superb, you'd have to spend about £500 to beat them.

DougK said:
bigfish786 said:

Is the volume pot the typical Marantz - loud at 9am variety? If it is then I highly recommend -10db Rothwell passive attenuators, they not only give you a larger sweep on the dial but also balance out the inputs across the phono section bringing the phono stage more in line with other sources; plus I have found them totally transparent. Personally I think Marantz phono stages are superb, you'd have to spend about £500 to beat them.

+1 it's nice to see some designers haven't forgotten the value of a good phono stage.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi bigfish,

Thanks for the impressions of the phono stage and pleased the amp works well with your Focals. Many years of happy listening ahead.

BTW, my amp was returned to Peter Tyson due DPD "care and consideration shortfall' Plug was smashed and despite double skin box, polystyrene broken. D&M UK open the box to swap the plug and don't seem too careful repacking. Second one arrived unscathed.

Having repeated log in problems so back to the music and less time posting.

gasolin

DougK said:
bigfish786 said:

That's normal with many amps nothing special with marantz amps

gasolin said:
DougK said:
bigfish786 said:

That's normal with many amps nothing special with marantz amps

What's normal? The volume adjustment or the quality of phono stage?

iceman16

bigfish786 said:

*drinks*

i'm still playing around with speaker positioning, as the soundstage is very different to the Leema, the speakers seem to sound better with less toe in, too much and you lose the crispness. had a few hours spinning a few records, changed the Clearaudio out for the Nagaoka, generally enjoying the whole process. i also found the setting to stop it going into standby after 30 mins of not being used, so i can leave it on while i'm not using it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts