Marantz pm 6004 or pm 8003 with Monitor Audio RX 6 speakers?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I can buy from someone a Marantz pm 8003 amp with SA 8003 CDP for my MA RX 6 speakers. Or a new Marantz PM 6004 amp with CD 6004 CDP. The 6004 has very good reviews; better than the 8003. But isnt's the pm 6004 too light? It has only 45 watt. The 8003 has 70 watt. My music is most rock and pop.

A

Anonymous

Hi Peter

The 6004 will drive the RX6's well but you're right; the 8003 will drive them a lot better as there's more power ehich the RX6's will lap up and spit back out at you with avengence!!!

Are you able to demo/hear any other amps at all?

Reason I ask is that with your music taste the likes of a NAD or Leema amp may suit better as they've got a more punchier and faster paced soundstage rather than the Marantz which can be a little too smooth/laid back at times IMO

damodollard

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My experience was with the Marantz pm6003 with q acoustics 2010 speakers which was brill, but upgraded to MA RX1 and found the Marantz pm6003 to be lacking with these speakers.

Solution was a Marantz pm7004 for the RX1 and hey presto they sounded great again. I persume the pm7004 is similar spec to pm8003. Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

peterpan said:
Hi hifilover,

I agree. But NAD isn't reliable. The sound is very good (WHF finds the Marantz better). And which NAD?

Why do you say NAD isnt reliable???

I've had a lot of NAD products over the years and NEVER had an issue with any of them... Still got my NAD 3020 amp in the loft and its never failed to work!

I do know people have had issues with the NAD C545BEE CDP in the past but they're electronic items at the end of the day; things can and will go wromng at times... That's life

Re which NAD; IMO for new the C356BEE integrated would be absolutely spot on for the RX6's and your taste in music; 2nd hand the NAD C352 (PD version) and C355BEE integrateds would be very good as well.

Other amps 2nd hand to consider (if you're open to the suggestion) would be an Arcam Alpha 10 or Arcam FMJ A32, the Creek Evo II or Leema Pulse and even the Musical Fidelity XA200 would work very well indeed

A

Anonymous

The NAD C545BEE CDP would fit in very well indeed with the either the Marantz or NAD amps but there are others to consider as well (i.e. Rega Apollo, Arcam CD72 , CD73 or a CD192, Audiolab 8200 etc..)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
You must listen to the SA8003 CDP, it's a really good piece of kit.

I used to have a PM8003 and it was very good, but the guy who sold it me due to his upgrade, said he wasn't selling the SA8003 for any money, it was too good!

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I can buy new a NAD C355BEE which is much cheaper than the C356BEE. In euro's the price of the C355 is 485,-- and the price of the C356BEE is 749,--. Best Choice?

A

Anonymous

Go for the C355BEE then; it's a superb amp and plenty of power to boot; it'll drive your RX6's superbly

A combo that I owned and sometimes wish i'd never sold!

Are you able to consider buying 2nd hand as there are a few on eBay UK currently and it'd more then likely be cheaper to buy and have it shipped

peterpan said:
Hi hifilover,

I agree. But NAD isn't reliable. The sound is very good (WHF finds the Marantz better). And which NAD?

Just a quick note on reliability: I've seen a few threads on here about Nads so-called reliability problems. TBH, I don't any brand that escaped untouched. The likes of Arcam, Roksan, Cyrus, Rotel, Leema and many more have all had reliability problems in the past. Any product that's mechanical will occasionally have their blips, but that doesn't mean to say they are UNreliable.

If the Nad appeals to you - go for it!

Thumpa

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Could you manage the PM7004? I haven't heard one but here's some good news for you via its predecessor, the PM7003, supposedly 70wpc. It won Oz Best Amp of the Year, with a Lab test reporting it at 101wpc into 8ohm @1kHz down to 91wpc at 20Hz and 20kHz and 135wpc into 4 @ 20Hz and 20kHz, significantly higher in the mid-frequencies.

The PM7003 was likened to a refined PM-7001-KI.

"(at its price) ...on the basis of the sound quality it delivered during my listening sessions—and the performance it delivered on the test bench— the PM7003 has the goods, the looks, the power, the pedigree and not least the price, not only to get it past the post but to leave the others more than a few lengths behind." OzHiFi

Assuming the PM7004 is further refined, it sounds like a pearler (sorry). But if its suitable, check out its speaker connections (nothing major).

* According to the quoted sources, Marantz is renowned for understating (or at least being conservative with) all its specs, as shown in the PM7003.

A

Anonymous

NAD C355BEE amp and the Marantz SA8003 CDP would be a supewrb combo BUT do not write off the NAD C545BEE CDP; it is very good but it all really depends on how much bass you like and how full a soundstage youre after

The NAD C545BEE with the NAD amp would be a real solid souindstage with plenty of bass to boot but it is well timed and punchy bass. The Marantz CDP is still very good but it's a little smoother and mellow in comparison to the NAD

If you're considering 2nd hand stuff then IMO the Rega Apollo CDP would be the one to go for; to me it pelts the NAD C545BEE and Marantz SA8003 CDP's every day of the week!

Thumpa

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey peterpan

I see you've chosen, good on you.

I wanted to add to previous info:

I'm not completely happy with info I supplied earlier, quoting respected review source, tho I'm not saying it was wrong...

But in view of the two Marantz versions you were considering, according to Marantz Oz distributor's website, the discontinued PM7001 KI was in fact replaced by the PM8003. (I had said the PM7003 was likened to a refined PM7001 KI, so that seemingly bode well for the PM7004).

http://www.qualifi.com.au/index.jsp?referrer=1105&section=brands&page=product_detail&product=1559

I just wanted to ensure you had this additional info, even tho it seems redundant.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Today the NAD C355BEE has arrived. It sounds superbe! This is my sound! I can't stop hearing to the music.

The cdp is Marantz SA 8003. But i considering it to sell en buy a NAD C545BEE or even a Marantz CD 6004. What do you think?

A

Anonymous

Really glad you like the NAD C355BEE; it's a superb amp.

The NAD C545BEE is a brilliant CD player but so is the Marantz 6004 so maybe demo them both

However for me, a 2nd had Rega Apollo beats them both ands down every time as it would do with the Marantz SA8003!

A

Anonymous

i have the Arcam A38 with the RX2 and there is something that makes the Monitor shine with the Arcam AMP. You can pick these up from around the £700 on ebay if there is anyone selling them.

TRENDING THREADS