Marantz PM 15s2 or exposure 2010s2 for ATC scm 11

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am quite exited to have ATC scm11 with me now :) The problem begins here. I have a very limited budget for the amp so was looking for something to match in the used market.

I have come across these three brands which seems to fit my pocket.

1- Yamaha AS1000

2-Marantz PM 15s2

3-Exposure 2010s2

I do not have any option to demo any of these amp at home so have to go blindly. I do prefer little warm sound.

I have Nad 525 cdp which is due for upgrade.

Guys, please me in choosing the right match for ATC.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hifibuzz said:
I am quite exited to have ATC scm11 with me now :) The problem begins here. I have a very limited budget for the amp so was looking for something to match in the used market.

1- Yamaha AS1000

2-Marantz PM 15s2

3-Exposure 2010s2

I do not have any option to demo any of these amp at home so have to go blindly. I do prefer little warm sound.

Thanks
Hello Buzz, i had the atc11,s with my yamaha as2000, the 2000 is as smooth, articulate amp. I wouldn't describe the sound from the atc's as warm, more neutral. I think you will struggle to obtain a warm sound from the 11's. Great speakers but not definitely not warm. :)

sound i

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest 2 other amps:

1. Musical Fidelity M3i (just on the warmer side of neutral) and on sale here:
http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:category=1720028&mode=product&product=7516641

2. Peachtree Nova (A little warmer again, with valve that can be switched into the pre amp circuit and built in DAC). Available in the Sevenoaks sale here:
http://www.ssav.com/products/productdetail/part_number=Nova/1765.0.4.3

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the inputs buddies,

I was actually more interested in using tube as pre to get warmer sound with SS power, more like hybrid kinda stuff but i feel if budget is a constraint, it would rather be a mess :)

I have listened to MF A5 instead with ATC, somehow i did not like the overall sound, it was harsh especially the uppermids. Perhaps MF lacked control over the higher spectrum. anyways

Have anyone ever tried Anthem 225 with Atc ?

Thanks

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hifibuzz said:
I was actually more interested in using tube as pre to get warmer sound with SS power, more like hybrid kinda stuff but i feel if budget is a constraint, it would rather be a mess :)

The Peachtree Nova suggested by Cno is a hybrid amp, and has a switchable tube pre-amp section, or you can use solid state pre-amp instead. Some reviewers say that the tube pre-amp is a bit of a gimmick but at least you have the option. And at £599 you get a lot for your money and the quality (sonicaly speaking) is very good by all accounts.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The M series is better than the A series, and although it isn't bright, it is revealing. It also has plenty of current (nearly doubles Watts as impedance halves, and produces 25 amps - peak to peak), so would control the speakers without problem.
When combined with ATC it would show up any brightness in source, cables or room acoustics...and would be very different to the Nad.

I think for your taste, the likes of the Peachtree, Unison Research Unico R or Sugden Mystro (if found ex-dem), would meet your criteria.

If you are not very careful, you will end up with a sound that will initially impress, but will produce fatigue in the long term. IMO. Avoid bright sources and silver coated cables.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Thanks Cno, I will certainly not discount MF 3i, will try to listen to it soon.

Any inputs on vincent SV 236mk ? since its a hybrid design, it may bring on warmer,melow, smooth sound i guess.

Thanks

Hi Hifibuzz

What amplifier are you currently using?

What do you generally listen to?

Is there anything in particular you would like the amplifier to have (such as remote, tone controls, mp3 input, headphone socket, phono input etc.)?

Your general listening level?

Any specific power requirements from an amplifier?

Interconnects and speakers cables?

Your maximum budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

I do not have any amplifier as of now. SCM11 is my first HiFi companion.

I genrally listen to moderate levels, mainly soft rock,vocals, country.

Regarding the power, I know ATC loves power to sing upto their full potential so as much as possible is acceptable :) Mp3 input, tone control etc are really useless to me but yes remote control is a must.

I am strict to $2000.

Thanks

Hifibuzz said:

1- Yamaha AS1000

2-Marantz PM 15s2

3-Exposure 2010s2

Thanks

I suggest you look at Roksan Kandy MKIII or LIII. Not exactly warm but very attacking and powerful. I personally like the LIII, prefer it to the K2.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hifibuzz said:
Thanks Cno, I will certainly not discount MF 3i, will try to listen to it soon.

Any inputs on vincent SV 236mk ? since its a hybrid design, it may bring on warmer,melow, smooth sound i guess.

Thanks

There was discussion here (re Vincent) from post No.4:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/cyrus-6xp-or-leema-pulse-for-rs6?page=2

If demoing the M3i, use a musical source, like a Rega CDP, and some good copper cables like those from Atlas, Merlin or Van Den Hul.
Chord Silver Screen S/C is also a good "no nonsense" copper cable.

Hifibuzz said:
Hi Rick,

I do not have any amplifier as of now. SCM11 is my first HiFi companion.

I genrally listen to moderate levels, mainly soft rock,vocals, country.

Regarding the power, I know ATC loves power to sing upto their full potential so as much as possible is acceptable :) Mp3 input, tone control etc are really useless to me but yes remote control is a must.

I am strict to $2000.

Thanks

Hi Hifibuzz

Thanks for your reply.

I'll recommend that you also consider the NAD C370, C160/C270 and ATC's SIA2-150 MK1 amplification for your SCM11 monitors. All three amplifiers have the quantity and quality of power to enable them to be easily partnered with SCM11's. I also feel that all three amplifiers have the tonal presentation which you are looking for.

Btw, what cabling will you be using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard any of them with the ATCs, but my impression of the Marantz was that it was very clean, smooth and neutral. Not really a bass beast. I liked it a lot and almost got one with the matching CDP. I've only heard the Yamaha very briefly and it seemed a little warmer than the Marantz to me, but I never did a proper side by side comparison, so I'm not 100% sure on that. Out of the Yamahas the 2000 would be my choice

A

Anonymous

ID. said:
I haven't heard any of them with the ATCs, but my impression of the Marantz was that it was very clean, smooth and neutral. Not really a bass beast. I liked it a lot and almost got one with the matching CDP. I've only heard the Yamaha very briefly and it seemed a little warmer than the Marantz to me, but I never did a proper side by side comparison, so I'm not 100% sure on that. Out of the Yamahas the 2000 would be my choice
I can confirm the yamaha as2000 is a stunning amp, powerfull and detailed sound. Also the build and finish is 1st class, it weighs a ton [23 kgs]. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

Actually I do not like Nad's house sound, it sounds rather dry and compressed but warm to my ears. Perhaps I am not not that mature to understand the nad's signature.

I would love to have little warmer side of neutral sound but not at the cost of details and transparency. This was the reason I bought ATC.

By the way, how would rank Yamaha AS1000 with scm 11 OR exposure 3010s2 with scm11 ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks Fats, Rick

I am alomst done with Yamaha, getting a good deal for the combined package, Amp+Cdp.

The dealer has offered me AS1000 amp+Cdp for $2000, and $2600 for AS2000+Cdp.

Now the confusion is, should i stretch and shell out $600 more for AS2000 package ? or save some bucks for future upgrade and buy AS1000 instead ?

I was going through a review for AS1000 which says there is hardly any diffrence except balanced inputs/outputs.

Seeking some first hand experience on this :)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I'm not a fan of Marantz amplifiers, but Marantz PM-15S2 is a step up (I'd say many steps) in comparison with all mentioned models. It's more powerful, better built and uses higher quality parts.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
But you did not demoed Exposure?

I am a huge fan of Exposure amps the 2010s2 + 3010s2 are marvelous amps. Also Roksan Caspian m2 is a great amp.

A

Anonymous

Hifibuzz said:
Thanks Fats, Rick

I am alomst done with Yamaha, getting a good deal for the combined package, Amp+Cdp.

The dealer has offered me AS1000 amp+Cdp for $2000, and $2600 for AS2000+Cdp.

Now the confusion is, should i stretch and shell out $600 more for AS2000 package ? or save some bucks for future upgrade and buy AS1000 instead ?

I was going through a review for AS1000 which says there is hardly any diffrence except balanced inputs/outputs.

Seeking some first hand experience on this :)

Thanks
Hello Buzz, the as2000 is slightly more powerful, and the xlr balanced outputs do make a difference. You are best to demo to see if the extra outlay is worth while ?

Hifibuzz said:
Hi Rick,

Actually I do not like Nad's house sound, it sounds rather dry and compressed but warm to my ears. Perhaps I am not not that mature to understand the nad's signature.

I would love to have little warmer side of neutral sound but not at the cost of details and transparency. This was the reason I bought ATC.

By the way, how would rank Yamaha AS1000 with scm 11 OR exposure 3010s2 with scm11 ?

Thanks

Hi Hifibuzz

What about ATC's own SIA2-150 MK1? You should find one within your budget on the used market.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts