Marantz PM-15S1 + SA-15S1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Could you suggest speakers for Marantz PM-15S1 + SA-15S1 combo?

I'm considering Dali Ikon 6, B&W CM7 & ProAc Studio140. Mainly listen to Smooth/Progressive Jazz.

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hmm...a forum with close to 10,000 users and still NO REPLY. Something wrong?

A

Anonymous

Nothing wrong, just never heard of that speaker. Can any of our big guns advise?

A

Anonymous

Thank you "tractorboy" for your support.

Ok, am more or less done here.
emotion-6.gif
If not the Focal, can anyone help me with the other mentioned speakers.
emotion-54.gif
This could be my biggest investment in hifi at this point in my life. So I guess, feeling a little apprehensive before making a purchase is normal.

A

Anonymous

I heard some Focal speakers (not the ones you mentioned) and what I heard, I really liked. However, I think you should go out and about to various dealers to try loads of speakers. In your budget range there are loads of speakers, and recommending a pair usually boils down to personal preference.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Jan. You are absolutely right. Till recently I was happy and was the proud owner of CD6002+PM7001 with Diamond 9.5- thanks to Mr.E
emotion-5.gif
. Then I happen to hear the 15S1 combo. I was literally blown away. Upgrade bug popped out, made some arrangements with the dealer for the existing setup and here I'm.
emotion-42.gif

So far I have heard, ProAc Studio 140 and B&W CM7- must say, I loved the ProAc. Not that CM7 was any less impressive, but something about the ProAc - can't explain what or why, I just liked it.

I'm trying to get the Ikon6 auditioned with the setup, not possible due to different dealers. Hope they agree. I don't know, if its the dealers greed or my high hopes, but they seem to have half convinced me that anything less than the Focals is a compromise and I might not be doing justice with the Marantz hardware.

A

Anonymous

I can offer some personal experience. I use similar Marantz sa-11s1 and pm-11s1 for some time now. I chose them for laid back, warm and still detailed sound and paired them with Monitor Audio GS60 speakers. They match well in my opinion. You could try a pair of Monitor Audio speakers and see if you like the combination.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Zelkop for your suggestion. I'll definitely try that out. I had recently partnered em' with GS20 and RS6 once. But found them very pronounced in base dept., RS6 especially.

Like you mentioned, the reason I'm getting the 15S1s are for the same laid back, warm detailed sound. May be its due to the kind of music I prefer, the likes of, Hole Cole, Claire Martin, Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Fourplay, Sarah McLachlan, Jack Johnson, Enya, Kitaro etc.

Of course, I couldn't scale up to the 11S1s - had to be satisfied with the 15S1s, but no regrets. I totally love the kit.Best regards.

A

Anonymous

I think that GS20 could be a very good match. I tried several amps with GS60 and found the non-agressive Marantz to be a good match with metal MA drivers. I was able to hear similar relatively warmish sound from MA GS60 by using Balanced Audio Technology integrated amp VK-300x, but that one could be relatively rare animal in the UK. I also have a pair of Exposure 3010 amps at home, they sound nice and liquid with MA GS, but somehow lack the fine detail of Marantz Premium. I currently live in the Middle East and choices are limited here. Strangely, although 45 years old :), I like the pronounced base department and even wanted to emphasize it. I was able to tune the base by repositioning.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="unleash_me"]
Thank you Jan. You are absolutely right. Till recently I was happy and was the proud owner of CD6002+PM7001 with Diamond 9.5- thanks to Mr.E
emotion-5.gif
. Then I happen to hear the 15S1 combo. I was literally blown away. Upgrade bug popped out, made some arrangements with the dealer for the existing setup and here I'm.
emotion-42.gif

So far I have heard, ProAc Studio 140 and B&W CM7- must say, I loved the ProAc. Not that CM7 was any less impressive, but something about the ProAc - can't explain what or why, I just liked it.

I'm trying to get the Ikon6 auditioned with the setup, not possible due to different dealers. Hope they agree. I don't know, if its the dealers greed or my high hopes, but they seem to have half convinced me that anything less than the Focals is a compromise and I might not be doing justice with the Marantz hardware.

[/quote]

That's my current setup (PM7001/CD6002). :) I use Focal speakers as well, for their laid back, smooth sound.

If you ask anyone knowledgeable in High-End audio they will tell you that Focal make some of the best loudspeakers you can buy. (Not being biased.) The ones you mentioned are a bit pricey for that setup though. -

Link: http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=308

I would definitely think about auditioning some Focal's though, maybe from the Chorus 800 range? - http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=306

Cheers, Marco.

A

Anonymous

Thank you guys, Zelkop and Marco, for all your support and suggestions. I guess now I'm armed with enough choices to go for a much more focused auditions. <p>

Will give GS20 a second or perhaps some more auditions to see the matching. Same with the Focal range. The Electra 1027BE are indeed a little pricey and hence the apprehension also! Anyways, I will now try to audition the Chorus range. Any experience with 714V Marco? < p >

Zelkop, we all like bass, don't we? Why blame the age! LOL. Quite recently I was in Dubai during Nov07, will be again visiting Qatar and Saudi Arabia in the coming months. Very nice place.

A

Anonymous

The guy I bought my used Marantz PM17 from had Focal Chorus 716 paired with then his PM17 (now mine :-D ) and SA11S1, the combination as he described it matched extremely well. He upgraded to a PM11S1 after he sold the amplifier to me and said that after upgrading the amp he probably was looking at replacing the speakers, but he was very very pleased with sound, especially considering their price.

As suggested, I think you'd best look at the Chorus 800 series, see (hear) if you like them.

A

Anonymous

One other thing to consider would be Dynaudio speakers, I've heard alot of people raving about the combination Dynaudio + Marantz but sadly I haven't heard much. What I heard, blew me away though. It were some smaller Dynaudio speakers paired with a Marantz PM17 MK2 and CD17 Mk2.

An aquaintance used Dynaudio speakers with his PM15 and SA15 and absolultey loves the combination. Sadly, I haven't been able to hear his set-up.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Jan for your quick reply. Will surely check out Chorus range.

If I may push my luck, is there any chance you could remember the Dynaudio speaker model?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="unleash_me"]Zelkop, we all like bass, don't we? Why blame the age[/quote]

The ability to hear high frequencies diminishes with age.

Look at the bright side ... soon you'll only need a sub.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="unleash_me"]
Thank you guys, Zelkop and Marco, for all your support and suggestions. I guess now I'm armed with enough choices to go for a much more focused auditions. <p>

Will give GS20 a second or perhaps some more auditions to see the matching. Same with the Focal range. The Electra 1027BE are indeed a little pricey and hence the apprehension also! Anyways, I will now try to audition the Chorus range. Any experience with 714V Marco? < p >

Zelkop, we all like bass, don't we? Why blame the age! LOL. Quite recently I was in Dubai during Nov07, will be again visiting Qatar and Saudi Arabia in the coming months. Very nice place. [/quote]

No, I only auditioned the 705v and 706v unfortunately. If you do go for Focal and you like a bass heavy sound I'd suggest sticking with floorstanders. My pair give a beautiful mid-range but are slightly lean on the bass side. (Although there's still some weight at higher volumes.)

Cheers, Marco.

A

Anonymous

I have to say the focal 1027s are a slightly odd suggestion for your set up.....fine if you're planning to upgrade your other components in the future, but your current kit might not get the best out of them (with all due respect, because you have some great kit that will produce a lovely smooth sound). I have spent the past 4 months in and out of demo rooms all over the uk, and I second the dynaudio suggestion with the marantz...........the Contour 1.8 Mk II is worth a listen with your set-up. Dali Ikon 6 is a great shout.......I own Dali's myself and I'm over the moon with them. Finally don't forget about PMC.......DB1 standmounts are surprising in their ability to deliver over most floorstanders at this price. Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

[quote user="unleash_me"]Zelkop, we all like bass, don't we? Why blame the age[/quote]

Look at the bright side ... soon you'll only need a sub

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And after a sub fails to deliver ... you can still read lyrics. And after that ...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="zelkop"]

Look at the bright side ... soon you'll only need a sub

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And after a sub fails to deliver ... you can still read lyrics. And after that ...

[/quote]

OK, now you are starting to scare me. LOL.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Sam for your valuable suggestions. The Focal 1027 itself was proving to be a little out of my reach, now you have really confused me with the Dali Helicons - boy aren't they real stunners!!! Yet to hear them, but they look real classy.

But to be frank at this point, I'm still inclined towards the ProAc 140s. Speaker auditioning is indeed hard, though I enjoy every minute of it.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you everyone for helping me so far.

Ok, so this is the update. Spend the entire weekend listening to speakers. Had finally zeroed-in on ProAc Studio 140s and Focal 1027. Now, at the risk of looking like a complete looser
emotion-15.gif
for wasting the entire weekend on this, I'm very satisfied and have more or less convinced that the Focal is way better than the ProAc. Did everything possible from blindfold test, alternating speakers every five minutes, playing the same source repeatedly with both speakers etc etc.

So, now the last question is, am I being completely out of my mind for considering the Focal Electra 1027 BE over the ProAc paying almost double the money? Am I doing justice to the Focals by using the 15S1 combo? Does it really need better gear to drive them to the full potential? Please Advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts