Marantz pearl lite amp trouble

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Where are we up too ? Did that all that make sense ?

What I was trying to say was that the reading of 1.0 could be close to the point where the meter would change to display 1.1 That would be good if so. Conversly the 1.1 reading could be almost ready to change to 1.2 which would make the error a bit worse.
So we can perhaps gauge that effect by carefully altering the balance control to equalise the left and right readings. It should be a minimal amount that it needs turning. Keep tweaking the volume to get the meter to just change from one reading to another and see how close the other channel is to that point.

My feeling up to now is that it all seems OK though.

Did you notice any acoustic effects (level changing) as you moved around the room with the tone playing ?

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Yes that all makes sense.

I have done as you say and it looks like good news. The left side is only just at 1.1 and does occasionally go back to 1.0 matching the right side.

When upping the volume the difference stays at .1

Im am going to keep hold of the meter for a while incase there is an intermittent fault as the left hand bias has been quite obvious at times. At least I can now check again if it returns.

The acoustic effect you mention is quite strange and only small movements has a big effect.Perhaps this was what I was experiencing after all.

Thanks for all your help with this, it really is most appreciated.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You only have to move a tiny bit to hear the effect of the cancellations etc... good isn't it :) It makes you realise what a huge effect the room must have on the overall sound you get.

Well all the measurement results sound good to me. Obviously keep a check and when you feel it isn't correct then you can just pop the disc in and see.

I really do think the amp is 100% OK.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi vonchief,

Did you sort out your issue with pearl lite? I've got the same amp / sacd player and very similar problem, the right channel is slightly louder than the left one. I swapped the cables, tried both 'A' and 'B' amp outputs, used a different source and it's definitely the amp. The results are consistent, the right (or when cables are swapped, the left) speaker is louder. It is particularly noticeable at the lowest volume.

Did you end up replacing your amp?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts