Marantz or Cambridge?

Dellboy

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I have a Marantz PM-6007 amp with B&W 603 speakers. I have been looking at the Cambridge 851A amp. Has anyone compared these amps? Would it be considered an upgrade?

Dellboy

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Yes, I realise that the Cambridge does not have a DAC or Phono. What drew my attention was that it is 120w in 8ohm. Does that equate to better sound quality?

Hi Guys,
I have a Marantz PM-6007 amp with B&W 603 speakers. I have been looking at the Cambridge 851A amp. Has anyone compared these amps? Would it be considered an upgrade?
As the others have suggested, if you have vinyl the Marantz (any model) would be prudent choice, perhaps one of the midrange models. IMO, Marantz would be my choice with B&Ws.

Also, never been a big fan of Cambridge Azur ranges. Years ago , former member @Gerrardasnails invited me to listen to his Cambridge Azur 840A. Very powerful but sounded too clinical for my taste. The likes of Arcam, Marantz etc etc sounded more natural.

Nice!!!!!
Here is mine :-
View attachment 4091
Very nice looking kit. I would suggest demo one of the midrange Marantz amps. They'll share the tonal qualities but have better control over the speakers.

By the way, your colour walls are very similar to mine. Picture taken just after I completed it in 2019🙂

Attachments

• 20221123_124843.jpg
    20221123_124843.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Dellboy

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello Dellboy,

I just happened to have purchased a Cambridge Audio Azur 851A on ebay (refurbished)

Besides a CD63SE, I am not too familiar with Marantz, but I can tell you that I am very happy with the Azur 851A

I like the look and it is solidly built.
120W into 8ohms and 200W into 4.

But it's not just about power.
It sounds just fine to me.
Don't ask me to explain it, as I'm not into superfluous descriptions (Detailed, exciting, insightful etc lol)
Comparing it to my Onkyo TX RZ800 (AV receiver). It sounds just as good, though lacking in power compared to the Onkyo (Tannoy Revolution XT 8F bi-amped from the Onkyo)

I have it on a 30 day return. so if I am not satisfied. Back it will go (8 days so far)

The manual looked a bit worn, but otherwise the amp was in perfect condition.

Worth a look.

Cambridge Audio Azur 851A Integrated Amplifier (Silver) - Refurbished 5055300405890 | eBay

treesey

In my research done before finding my Pioneer, I read only very positive reviews on the ?51 kit from Cambridge. Apparently very different from the ??0? Azur range.

I was looking for an 851R but the Pioneer arrived first.

ETA ...sorry it was the 751R - but it's the same '1 more' family over the standard Azur range.

Last edited:

Dellboy

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Hello Dellboy,

I just happened to have purchased a Cambridge Audio Azur 851A on ebay (refurbished)

Besides a CD63SE, I am not too familiar with Marantz, but I can tell you that I am very happy with the Azur 851A

I like the look and it is solidly built.
120W into 8ohms and 200W into 4.

But it's not just about power.
It sounds just fine to me.
Don't ask me to explain it, as I'm not into superfluous descriptions (Detailed, exciting, insightful etc lol)
Comparing it to my Onkyo TX RZ800 (AV receiver). It sounds just as good, though lacking in power compared to the Onkyo (Tannoy Revolution XT 8F bi-amped from the Onkyo)

I have it on a 30 day return. so if I am not satisfied. Back it will go (8 days so far)

The manual looked a bit worn, but otherwise the amp was in perfect condition.

Worth a look.

Cambridge Audio Azur 851A Integrated Amplifier (Silver) - Refurbished 5055300405890 | eBay
I was looking at that one on Ebay. You sound like you have a lovely set up. My friend had the Tannoy speakers but he has just changed them after listening to my B&W 603's.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
I was looking at that one on Ebay. You sound like you have a lovely set up. My friend had the Tannoy speakers but he has just changed them after listening to my B&W 603's.

I got lucky with the turntable in an auction. Though I had to travel from London to Manchester to collect it £150 train and cabs. All worth it.

Actually when I thin of it. Turntable, arm, speakers, DAT player, streamer anbd now the new amp all came from ebay and all at a good price. (Though it takes time to put together)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts