Marantz NR1200

Rock0324

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and looking forward to participating in a meaningful way. My name is Stewart, I'm 64 ( to put it context ) and a life long music lover. The first stereo I bought maybe1974 or so was a Marantz 2220, Dual 1218 turntable and Bose speakers. I saved up for months to afford it. When I went to college, it was my most prized possession. I have hundreds and hundreds of albums from the 60's, 70's and 80's, then of course replaced them all with CDs. I haven't listened to an album in about 25 years. About 3 months ago I bought a inexpensive turntable to see if I would get into my collection and found I did. Well that started the ball rolling. Last month I bought a Marantz NR1200 receiver and at first loved it, but after about 3 weeks I turned it on and it made a loud clank and died, no power etc... I returned it to Best Buy and they are sending me a new one. Today I cancelled it and am on the lookout for a receiver under $1000. This would be for music mostly. I don't think I would hook it up to a TV for surround sound, so just a receiver. I am now looking at a Denon. I understand they are Alexa compatible where I can talk to it to listen to what I want. Any thoughts?? I am also looking to upgrade my inexpensive Audio-Tech turntable. This is my second post, BTW. My first was my 3 desert Island albums which were The Who's Tommy, The Beatles White Album and Derek and The Dominos Lalya.

DCarmi

Sorry to hear your problems with the NR1200.

For what it is worth, my advice would be, if you don't need AV, spend on a good stereo amp, with a decent phono input. Many modern amps have optical inputs which would allow you to plug a TV in for enhanced stereo sound.

It is not clear if you make much use of a streaming service. I have both Google and Alexa devices a rarely "ask" them to play music. Radio yes, but music I usually select and cast from my phone. I'd look for a separate streaming option depending on how much stuff you stream.

My downstairs setup is basically amp, CD player, turntable and chromecast audio (CCA) and the TV has a soundbar (not into cinematic quality sound myself). The CCA gives me music streaming and radio, normally via phone. I do have a Nest hub max in the kitchen so I can stream in both rooms, simultaneously or switch from one to the other. I can also do this with the upstairs equipment, so technically I can really annoy the whole house!

Rock0324

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
Sorry to hear your problems with the NR1200.

For what it is worth, my advice would be, if you don't need AV, spend on a good stereo amp, with a decent phono input. Many modern amps have optical inputs which would allow you to plug a TV in for enhanced stereo sound.

It is not clear if you make much use of a streaming service. I have both Google and Alexa devices a rarely "ask" them to play music. Radio yes, but music I usually select and cast from my phone. I'd look for a separate streaming option depending on how much stuff you stream.

My downstairs setup is basically amp, CD player, turntable and chromecast audio (CCA) and the TV has a soundbar (not into cinematic quality sound myself). The CCA gives me music streaming and radio, normally via phone. I do have a Nest hub max in the kitchen so I can stream in both rooms, simultaneously or switch from one to the other. I can also do this with the upstairs equipment, so technically I can really annoy the whole house!

Man, I must be old, can you give me a brief summary of the difference between an AV and a stereo amp. I think of them as one and the same. I think I am going for the Denon x1700H, BTW. I was going to buy it right from them, their customer support seems to be very good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts