Marantz Network Player Problem

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a Marantz NA7004 Network Media Player which appears to have developed a fault.

I appreciate this may be a longshot but I wondered if anybody else has experienced a similar problem with either this particular device or another Marantz Network player and was the fault able to be resolved without requiring it to be sent to a service centre for repair.

The problem is with the Music server function. I keep all my music files on a NAS drive and although the player connects to the NAS okay and I am able to select particular music files they only play for 10 seconds and then it disconnects and reconnects to the NAS. It's not a problem with the network because the internet radio function works okay and its not a problem with the NAS as I can play music files on other devices such as a smart TV and a tablet. The Media player and TV use powerline adaptors and the tablet uses WiFi. This fault only started yesterday and the music files were playable okay before.

D

Deleted member 108165

I have the NA7004 but no problems to report here, if anything it has run like a dream since day one, (probably put a curse on it now *bomb*), but I do have all my connections hard-wired. The only update I performed was when I first purchased it about two years ago, (I believe the update included hi-res support and gapless playback).

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
DougK said:
I have the NA7004 but no problems to report here, if anything it has run like a dream since day one, (probably put a curse on it now *bomb*), but I do have all my connections hard-wired. The only update I performed was when I first purchased it about two years ago, (I believe the update included hi-res support and gapless playback).

Thanks, I only updated mine 2 years ago aand it has performed faultlessly until now (apart from I could never log in to Last FM) and it was only a couple of days ago I was saying on another (non HiFi) forum how reliable it has been, which is probably what cursed it!

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
There is another thread about a different Marantz network player with the same fault. It appears to be connected to a software update. I would talk to Marantz.

Chris

Thanks, I'll look out for the thread but I hadn't updated the software before the fault and when trying to update it since it said there were no updates available.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
JZC said:
Thanks, I only updated mine 2 years ago aand it has performed faultlessly until now (apart from I could never log in to Last FM) and it was only a couple of days ago I was saying on another (non HiFi) forum how reliable it has been, which is probably what cursed it!

Sure, but did you disable auto-update in the setup? I tried to get my NA7004 to work reliably for 2 years, even running cat 6 cable from the router to it, but it was never stable and every firmware update sent it into a tailspin. It's been much better since I put it in the loft.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
splasher said:
JZC said:

Sure, but did you disable auto-update in the setup? I tried to get my NA7004 to work reliably for 2 years, even running cat 6 cable from the router to it, but it was never stable and every firmware update sent it into a tailspin. It's been much better since I put it in the loft.

Good point, I've not disabled auto-update but neither can I see any option to do so but I'll check in the manual. Have there been any updates lately and if the problem is caused by an update then if it had not been picked up during testing then surely others will have noticed too.

I have old HiFi in the loft which is remarkably stable and never goes wrong :)

Optare prisma

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I have found out last night I am having exactly the same problem with my NA7004. It stops after 10 seconds evertime time I play a music file from the hard drive of my computer and reconects to the music server instead.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the link, it's somewhat reassuring that it appears not to be a hardware fault an that hopefully Marantz can fix it with a firmware update soon.

Highwayman

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Since this model has not had firmware updates for years I fear this may be a problem that will not be fixed easily. The bug may be sitting deep in the core.

* Edit 20/8/2015*

I tried this with both a Synology NAS and a WD World NAS with the same effect. Curiously I also noticed that if you put the music on pause before the ten seconds is up, when you release you get the remaining seconds counting down to ten. This suggests it isn't anything to do with buffering. i am getting a bit nervous that some part of the Marantz firmware has an expired licence and I don't hold out much hope that Marantz will ever push new firmware to my ageing NR1602.

I suppose this is the price for being an early adopter. Its a shame as I love the build and sound of Marantz but they don't really know how to manage firmware driven kit yet.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I think this thread should be read in conjunction with this one:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/3-x-marantz-m-cr610-delevoped-same-fault-in-past-24-hours

(Sorry I can't remember how to make the URL into a link)

I hope that Marantz is able to resolve this issue on all affected devices including your NR1602.

As Marantz are aware of the problem and I have registered with them for notification of updates I think they should at least e-mail those who have registered to acknowledge there is a problem and what they are doing to fix it.

It's fortunate that there is this forum to raise this issue as otherwise I'd think mine was the only machine effected. There must be lots of others who are unaware that it's not just their players and are wasting time trying to fix it themselves, perhaps thinking the problem is with their network or server.

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
..since title is Marantz Network Player problem I would add that my NA6005 has problems with loading Internet radio and reading files from USB. For week or two it works perfect and sudnly it just can't load Internet radio saying on displey just: Loading....

Than I need to reset my network and works fine (for week or two). Anybody has similar issue?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
There is probably a micro-processor in your NA7004 as there is the 603/611 all-in-ones. More than likely wants re-setting. Should be in your manual. Likely to lose any favourites that may be stored on the Internet Radio when you do it though.

Rick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts