Marantz NA7004 vs ATV 2 with DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After doing some good reading into streamers and DAC's I think my bet is going to be between the Marantz NA7004 or use my ATV2 with a decent DAC such as the Musical Fidelity M1DAC or maybe an Arcam rDAC (both of which I'd probably buy 2nd hand/ex demo).

Do you have any thoughts how the sound from the ATV2 with a good DAC would be in comparison to the Marantz.

Is going down the ATV2 route + DAC overly complicated and it'd be easier with the Marantz

Would maybe the likes of the Denon DNP720 with a better DAC (ie Arcam rDAC) be a more viable solutions?

Sorry for all the questions; as its very hard for me to demo these products because no one near me has them in stock or deals in them; demoing them is more or less a no go :(

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
After doing some good reading into streamers and DAC's I think my bet is going to be between the Marantz NA7004 or use my ATV2 with a decent DAC such as the Musical Fidelity M1DAC or maybe an Arcam rDAC (both of which I'd probably buy 2nd hand/ex demo).

Do you have any thoughts how the sound from the ATV2 with a good DAC would be in comparison to the Marantz.

Is going down the ATV2 route + DAC overly complicated and it'd be easier with the Marantz

Would maybe the likes of the Denon DNP720 with a better DAC (ie Arcam rDAC) be a more viable solutions?

Sorry for all the questions; as its very hard for me to demo these products because no one near me has them in stock or deals in them; demoing them is more or less a no go :(

As you might already be knowing, playing music at home is as below

- Your Room is the Canvas (There could be imperfections like some frequencies abosrbed or some accentuated etc)

- Loudspeakers make the large strokes of paining and amplifier paints the medium strokes

- DAC generally has a much smaller brush and the Interconnects have the smallest brush possible (but nevertheless there)

So, where you are as a connoiseurs (looking for perfections or appreciating the imperfections which make the character)

Given the context, I would say the choice should boil down to the convenience as first option. Given my appreciations to Apple products (or otherwise), I would say Apple TV + DAC is the way to go given that you have an iPhone / iPad / iPod to control music.

This gives a nicer DAC upgrade path if needed and get some video to the TV if required.

I have heard / had the Pioneer N-50 and was not too impressed especially when I compare it to my current DAC (Grant Fidelity TubeDAC 11) and today I am getting an Audiolab M-DAC as I might need the digital Pre-amp in my DAC in near future!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

My living room works very well with the system ( carpeted, soft furnishings etc...) and the speakers are in the middle of the room about 3m apart and slightly toed in to where I sit to creat a very good sweet spot

I do think that sodding a DAC to my current system would be more convenient/easier as the ATV2 is already set up & running for music and films now.

Plus if an can get the likes of an MF M1 DAC for under the price of the Marantz streamer; that'd be a good saving!

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any further thoughts? Has anyone heard or demod the Emotiva DAC? These get mentioned quite a bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts