Marantz NA7004 or SB Touch + Arcam rDAC

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

as you can see I have been very active lately looking for information! :)

Now I am starting to understand a bit more so I feel it's time to start upgrading my system...by adding something new, a streamer! Went into a shop today and saw the Marantz NA7004, the dealer was entusiastic but I didn't have time to stop by and listen...I am assessing mainly

1) Sound quality: would be better the Marantz connected to the pc/NAS or the SB touch going through the Arcam rDAC which I own already? This is an huge point for me...

2) Control: the SB touch has the advantage of having a big and color display, the Marantz can be controlled via iPhone and iPad also, correct?

3) Future compatibility: planning to change the amp first and then speakers (not in the near future but this will be the order) to match better my musical test...mainly jazz and acoustic material....some classic and some light rock (especially from the past)...this will cover let's say 95% of all my listening!

Any advice on these points? Thanks!!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My advice would be to listen to a Linn Sneaky before spending any money. I don't think the Marantz goes all the way up to 24/192, which may or may not be a problem.

Cno

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
My advice would be to listen to a Linn Sneaky before spending any money. I don't think the Marantz goes all the way up to 24/192, which may or may not be a problem. Cno

Thanks a lot Cno, I am absolutely not in a rush this time...want to take it easy and enjoy every moment. Thanks for the suggestion...the Marantz goes up to 24/96 through USB and 24/192 through Digital. Do not have 24/192 for now...but it might be nice to have the possibility

Not idea on SQ of Marantz?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Thanks a lot Cno, I am absolutely not in a rush this time...want to take it easy and enjoy every moment. Thanks for the suggestion...the Marantz goes up to 24/96 through USB and 24/192 through Digital. Do not have 24/192 for now...but it might be nice to have the possibility

IMO The Sneaky is better than the rDac, and probably better than the Marantz (not heard the Marantz)....though don't take my word for it, and make sure you demo all suggestions.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi acalex .. if you are in no rush then you may wish to wait for the first reviews of the Simpleaudio Roomplayer I and II (with or without amplification) to come out. I think it's due to get to market around December time.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
Hi acalex .. if you are in no rush then you may wish to wait for the first reviews of the Simpleaudio Roomplayer I and II (with or without amplification) to come out. I think it's due to get to market around December time.

Thanks for the suggestion Tino, I am not in a rush indeed, I want to take my time this time and decide carefully!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

IMO The Sneaky is better than the rDac, and probably better than the Marantz (not heard the Marantz)....though don't take my word for it, and make sure you demo all suggestions.

I might need to move to UK for a couple of weeks for that...here in Belgium is very difficult even to find a shop!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I might need to move to UK for a couple of weeks for that...here in Belgium is very difficult even to find a shop!

The Sneaky can be controlled with iPhone/iPad etc and can be found in Belgum here:
http://www.linn.co.uk/try/findashop

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

The Sneaky can be controlled with iPhone/iPad etc and can be found in Belgum here: http://www.linn.co.uk/try/findashop

Great! Thanks a lot! Heading here maybe already this weekend, I live in Brussels! Thanks again :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
krazy_olie said:
possibly you could buy a cheap laptop for use with the rega?

Do not have a Rega...if I decide to buy another DAC (or to change mine) it will be for an high-end DAC...since my source it's purely digital it would make sense.

I was thinking about the Marantz because I also listen to a lot of internet radio...real advantage of the Marantz solution over the SB is the SQ (don't need propbably a separate DAC)...also multizone, correct? Or Marantz does not have this possibility?

Anyway for now I think I will audiotion the Marantz and the Linn...maybe will order from Amazon the SB touch and compare...they have a pretty good return policy...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
nads said:
acalex said:
nads said:
i would get the touch and use as is.

then maybelook at different DACs.

That would be the cheapest solution...the SB can also be controlled through an iPhone, right?
yep iPhoned and iPad with playback through the iPhone/Pad if you get iPeng. which is way better than the Logitec app.

I don't like the idea of a SB connected through a rDAC because the only way to connect it's using digital/coax and I heard those inputs are not the best to use with the rDAC which is much better in USB (any real life experience on the topic?) ...unfortunately no way to connect the SB to the rDAC in USB without having to play with the SB firmware....so basically if I decide to go for the SB touch solution I need to buy another DAC optimised for coax/digital...any suggestion? Again...if I decide to go for a new DAC I will go for an high-end...I prefer to buy it once.

Advantage of a good streamer is having everything in one box but I want to make sure the built-in DAC is a quality one and it is a good match for my musical taste

So for now to recap all-in one solutions I will be auditioning/waiting for are

- Linn Sneaky DS

- Marantz NA7004

- Simpleaudio Roomplayer II

On the other side, it might be either SB/Sonos (prefer the SB touch, even if I don't have multiroom with it) + new high-end DAC (not idea on this topic for now, was thinking to order a feedbackless DAC to try this way...but unfortunately this is USB only)

Budget wise for the all-in-one solution I would say 1000ish (if I can find something superb for 1200 I won't say no), for the second more or less the same...

Again, mainly is Jazz/acoustic stuff (75%), classic (15%), light rock (10%)

Any suggestion on any of these topics is more than welcome!!! Thanks again

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi I found this little box it looks very good but so far no reviews is new product Pro-Ject Stream Box DS
[*]Audiophile grade 24bit/192hkHz highend audio streaming client[*]Ethernet & WLAN[*]UPnP & DLNA support[*]USB input for flash memory and hard disk drives[*]USB input for Apple devices using digital out[*]Internetradio with automatic detection of local stations[*]“Gapless“ playback for all formats[*]Luxury 3,5” TFT colour display that shows album cover art[*]Solid metal casework protects sensible electronics from vibration and RF interference[*]New “DS” design with classy 3mm aluminium faceplate, rectangular edges and no visible screws[*]Gold plated RCA connectors[*]Wall-plug power supply (included)[*]Control via IR remote (included) or Plug-Player[*]Internetradio plattform: vTuner built-in (applicable for Napster, Sirius, Rhapsody, Flickr, Liveradio, Last.fm, Pandora, RadioTime[/list]

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
domenn said:
Hi I found this little box it looks very good but so far no reviews is new product Pro-Ject Stream Box DS
[*]Audiophile grade 24bit/192hkHz highend audio streaming client[*]Ethernet & WLAN[*]UPnP & DLNA support[*]USB input for flash memory and hard disk drives[*]USB input for Apple devices using digital out[*]Internetradio with automatic detection of local stations[*]“Gapless“ playback for all formats[*]Luxury 3,5” TFT colour display that shows album cover art[*]Solid metal casework protects sensible electronics from vibration and RF interference[*]New “DS” design with classy 3mm aluminium faceplate, rectangular edges and no visible screws[*]Gold plated RCA connectors[*]Wall-plug power supply (included)[*]Control via IR remote (included) or Plug-Player[*]Internetradio plattform: vTuner built-in (applicable for Napster, Sirius, Rhapsody, Flickr, Liveradio, Last.fm, Pandora, RadioTime[/list]

Can't be controlled using iphone/ipad which is quite important for my needs...cs I am often sitting at a table which is too far from pc/place where the streamer will be placed so I need to see on iphone/ipad the list of my music and being able to change soung through it....but the kit looks good as well! thanks for the suggestion...waiting for reviews as well

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I don't like the idea of a SB connected through a rDAC because the only way to connect it's using digital/coax and I heard those inputs are not the best to use with the rDAC which is much better in USB
At the risk of sounding unintentionally harsh, you seem to be falling victim to too much reading & not enough listening. ;)

Nads' suggestion of starting with the Squeezebox is a sound one. It's a cheap step into streaming & will give you plenty of time to evaluate how it sounds, both on it's own & through the rDac's coax. It will also give you an insight into something that's almost universally ignored in reviews of streamers & that's the user interface.

No need to worry about restricted time in a dealer's showroom or trial periods. Once you've had a good, long listen with your kit, in your room with your music (& most importantly, your ears!), then you can start looking at alternatives if you're not satisfied. At least you'll have a reference point to compare the other products at two-four times the price. The Touch holds a reasonable value used so as long as you don't pay retail price, you won't have any trouble moving it on for little loss if necessary.

acalex said:
(prefer the SB touch, even if I don't have multiroom with it)
Squeezebox has supported multi-room sync of players for years.

My only caveat with the Touch is not to throw a large library at it's inbuilt server via USB HDD. By all means try a sample library on a USB stick but to get the best from it, you really need their proprietary software installed on a computer or NAS.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Crocodile said:
acalex said:
I don't like the idea of a SB connected through a rDAC because the only way to connect it's using digital/coax and I heard those inputs are not the best to use with the rDAC which is much better in USB
At the risk of sounding unintentionally harsh, you seem to be falling victim to too much reading & not enough listening. ;)

Nads' suggestion of starting with the Squeezebox is a sound one. It's a cheap step into streaming & will give you plenty of time to evaluate how it sounds, both on it's own & through the rDac's coax. It will also give you an insight into something that's almost universally ignored in reviews of streamers & that's the user interface.

No need to worry about restricted time in a dealer's showroom or trial periods. Once you've had a good, long listen with your kit, in your room with your music (& most importantly, your ears!), then you can start looking at alternatives if you're not satisfied. At least you'll have a reference point to compare the other products at two-four times the price. The Touch holds a reasonable value used so as long as you don't pay retail price, you won't have any trouble moving it on for little loss if necessary.

acalex said:
(prefer the SB touch, even if I don't have multiroom with it)
Squeezebox has supported multi-room sync of players for years.

My only caveat with the Touch is not to throw a large library at it's inbuilt server via USB HDD. By all means try a sample library on a USB stick but to get the best from it, you really need their proprietary software installed on a computer or NAS.

You are right, I am reading a lot but the touch is anyway 250 euro here in Europe...not an huge amount of money but would like to have some expert advise before...

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been told at Manchester show Ipod/Pad app is on the way so we'll see I''' keep an eye on this one . So far I'll get sb touch and 64 GB pen drive (70 albums in flac and HD ?)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
domenn said:
I have been told at Manchester show Ipod/Pad app is on the way so we'll see I''' keep an eye on this one . So far I'll get sb touch and 64 GB pen drive (70 albums in flac and HD ?)

Great stuff!
I prefer having a NAS more than a USB drive to be honest

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Squeezebox Touch sounds better on its own than run through the rDac.

As streamers go, anyone would be foolish to overlook the Touch. It's a super bit of kit.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
ReValveiT said:
Squeezebox Touch sounds better on its own than run through the rDac. As streamers go, anyone would be foolish to overlook the Touch. It's a super bit of kit.

This is a great piece of information, thanks a lot! I am almost decided to give it a try and buy through Amazon...send it back if for any reason I don't like! What about the iphone App for SB, does it work well? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts