Marantz MRX7005 & MM7005 V Anthem MRX700

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all

I was speaking to the guy who I am dealing with regards to buying a new amp.

He recommeded the following:

Anthem MRX-700 €2,450
Marantz AV7005 Processor €1649 (Needs the Power amp below)
Marantz MM7055 Power Amplifier €1,299
Onkyo NR-TX3010 €3,199
Denon 4520 €2,499 (Replaces 4311 - not due till October)

I would lam thinking Marantz or Anthem. I know you guys mentioned that the Anthem was brilliant. What about the Marantz. He also said it would keep its value quite well. Please give me all your expert thoughts please. Strangely I can't find the MArantz in the WhatHifi mag?

P.S I love the Harmony 1100. Great piece of kit.

Thanks

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
These are all very good and it depends on what you need from an amp as to which is most suited. The 3010 is a fantastic amp and gives the Anthem a real run for its money. The Onkyo will work very well with your speakers. The Anthem cuts back on the features compared to the 3010 but will make the most of any speaker in your room. The new Pioneer SC-LX86 is not on your list - is there something you dont like with the 81?

A

Anonymous

Hi

Someone told me that once you get above the £1000 in Onkyo amps that sound difference is not that big. All it is is more power and more features.

I have not seen the Pioneer 86 but I must say I am not that big a fan of the 81. I just think it could give more depth to it. The surround sound does not seem to be that great either.

What about the Marantz. I am thinking about this one. Maybe seperates might be the way to go? What would be the match up with them and my MA speakers?

Is the 86 released yet?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
breffni said:
Hi

Someone told me that once you get above the £1000 in Onkyo amps that sound difference is not that big. All it is is more power and more features.

I have not seen the Pioneer 86 but I must say I am not that big a fan of the 81. I just think it could give more depth to it. The surround sound does not seem to be that great either.

What about the Marantz. I am thinking about this one. Maybe seperates might be the way to go? What would be the match up with them and my MA speakers?

Is the 86 released yet?

Re the Onkyo - sounds like someone who doesnt know what they are talking about. There are clear advantages to each step up. If you believe your source why is it on your list?

The 86 is now out with a different power stage from the 81. The surround sound is very involving from Pioneer, what didnt you like about it? Have you worked through the set up to try and get more from the system?

A

Anonymous

Hi

Okay I will try and find somewhere to demo it. What about the Marantz? Whats your thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Hi Breffni, as you can see from my signature I went for the Anthem MRX 700 and I am absolutley over the moon with it. I purchased it from Nick and the gang at the Home Cinema Centre (Top Notch shop) and have to say it sounds amazing with everything I throw at it. When I first set it up I played everything from action movies to Sarah Brightman through it and it just made the hairs on my neck stand up. It can be as powerful or as delicate as you want. It picks up every little detail. I'm a huge Saving Private Ryan fan having watched it countless times before I heard it through the Anthem. Listening to Saving Private Ryan through the Anthem was amazing. The ricochet of bullets, soldiers boots gripping on the soil as they run for cover and the crackling of fire make it sound as if i am there. Even listening to music though 2 channel sounds brilliant, whether it's electro-pop,rock or classical. All this and that's before I had the ARC setup installed which took it to a whole new level again.

The only negative,and it's a big negative is............. I can't get my wife away from the bloody thing!!!!. I've got Britney Spears and Lady Gaga coming out my ears!!!! :rofl:

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
To my mind the Marantz doesnt offer the surround sound that the others do. It lacks the out and out drive but that said the 2ch performance is very strong with the right speakers - we used to put it with Tannoy with great success. I only really like Audyssey in the top end Onkyo's and the Marantz doesnt employ the same version so the cinema element is harder to get right.

I would need to know what you didnt like about the 81 to give you a better view.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Tartan Man said:
Hi Breffni, as you can see from my signature I went for the Anthem MRX 700 and I am absolutley over the moon with it. I purchased it from Nick and the gang at the Home Cinema Centre (Top Notch shop) and have to say it sounds amazing with everything I throw at it. When I first set it up I played everything from action movies to Sarah Brightman through it and it just made the hairs on my neck stand up. It can be as powerful or as delicate as you want. It picks up every little detail. I'm a huge Saving Private Ryan fan having watched it countless times before I heard it through the Anthem. Listening to Saving Private Ryan through the Anthem was amazing. The ricochet of bullets, soldiers boots gripping on the soil as they run for cover and the crackling of fire make it sound as if i am there. Even listening to music though 2 channel sounds brilliant, whether it's electro-pop,rock or classical. All this and that's before I had the ARC setup installed which took it to a whole new level again.

The only negative,and it's a big negative is............. I can't get my wife away from the bloody thing!!!!. I've got Britney Spears and Lady Gaga coming out my ears!!!! :rofl:

Glad to hear you are enjoying it and thanks for the comments. Nothing wrong with a bit of Lady Gaga....

A

Anonymous

No problem Nick.

The Anthem is such a good AV Reciever. If anyone is looking to pay around the £2000 mark then it really has to be on the list for demoing. It sounds incredible. I was listening to "Sting- Live and Unplugged" the other day singing "Fields of Gold". It really sounded as if he was live in my living room. All the twangs from the guitar and breaths between choruses. Then it was back on to Band of Brothers and Return of the Jedi!!!!! :p

A

Anonymous

Hey

What other magazines would you guy trust. The problem is homecinema wasd raving about the Marantz. WhatHIFI give away 5 stars too easy.

Sound wise I know the Anthem is the best.

Problem is I like my toys! Alot of my things are mac. As Anthem is not Mac orientated I may not go for it.

Keeping its price is also very important. Onkyo, Pioneer all loose as they have a new model out every year.

I am thinking about going for the Anthem and then save money and go for a processor? Am I being stupid?

There are not many good shops in Dublin. They are all too small. So annoying. I would be lost without you guys advising me. Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

For me personally, i won't be needing a processor. The Anthem MRX 700 is MORE than enough for what i'll be needing it for. I was in a slightly similar position to yourself Breffni with regards to what AV Reciever, will it be a Pioneer, Arcam,Onkyo, Yamaha or even a pre/pro setup?. Did i want an AV reciever with all the bells and whistles and good sound or an AV reciever that covered all the main bases but concentrated on giving excellent sound and picture quality. I also read every article and every review in all the mags and on the web. All i can say is after hearing the Anthem in a demo i was completely sold. The main thing i went for on any of my audio gear was sound quality, looks,Spotify compatible, etc were well down the list of priorities.

This is just my personal opinion.

The choice is yours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts