Marantz MM 7055 - AV Seperates - Clare Newsome

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I am seriously considering AV Seperates for my next upgrade (target end Sept) and my main short list is Marantz AV / MM combo. I have demoed AV8003 + MM 8003 and IT IS what I want but I feel it is too much of a compromise to buy a 2008 model when the 2010 series is around the corner.

My plan is not to go beyond 5.1 / 5.2 and current short list is topped by Marantz AV 7005 + MM 7055 (Hoping that it lives up to the previous iteration and it is very rare that the next generation performance goes down the previous generation, I guess). Now the challenge part - I am getting a very good price on MM8003 (at a slightly lower price than MM7055 retail). Do you think it makes more sense to go with MM8003 ?

I am worried on aesthetics mix (AV7005 + MM 8003), as Clare's post does not have a pic of MM7055 (but it say that there is a power meter) . The second thing that worries me is that I do not see many people having MM8003 though they have AV8003 and I had seen two units of MM8003 with a channel failure problem in the same shop I demoed the combo.

My option now is to go for MM8003 or wait for September and upgrade in one go.

To Clare - Is is possible to post a pic of MM7055 or atleast write a few lines on how it looks like. In my head it looks like SR7005 (Also the pics that posted are exactly identical for SR7005 and AV7005 - I hope there was no wrong tagging / posting)

If you think that there are better alternatives to MM8003, please let me know then I know that my wait is worthwhile.

PS: I am a big fan of bi-amping. It works for me. 8 channel amp is perfect for me to bi-amp the Front L, Front R and Center)

PPS: Apparently, it is only WhatHiFi attended the event, as I do not see any other images / pics for these products from any one else on internet yet. Well done!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
WishTree:To Clare - Is is possible to post a pic of MM7055 or atleast write a few lines on how it looks like. In my head it looks like SR7005 (Also the pics that posted are exactly identical for SR7005 and AV7005 - I hope there was no wrong tagging / posting)

How very dare you!
emotion-3.gif
Look closely and the pictures aren't 'exactly identical': they have different model numbers on them, and are of two different products, but they both happen to look very similar.

Have edited the blog piece to include a picture of the MM7055, and guess what? It looks very similar, too:

WishTree:PPS: Apparently, it is only WhatHiFi attended the event, as I do not
see any other images / pics for these products from any one else on internet yet. Well done!!

No, there were several other journalists there, apart from Clare (blogging, asking intelligent questions) and yours truly (tweeting like a hyperactive budgie, trying to keep up, getting told off for all of the above) - just none of them seem to have written anything else yet. Odd, isn't it...?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
How very dare you!
emotion-3.gif
Look closely and the pictures aren't 'exactly identical': they have different model numbers on them, and are of two different products, but they both happen to look very similar.

Have edited the blog piece to include a picture of the MM7055, and guess what? It looks very similar, too:

WoooW !! Honestly I was not expecting to get a pic of MM7055 posted but you did.. and I am once again impressed !!! Thanks alot!!

And yes.. it is really odd.. I thought the internet forums will be buzzing with excitement when the Marantz announced their new line (well not upto the buzz level of iPhone 4;) ) but surprisingly, extremely quite!

Thank you once again!

A

Anonymous

Hi WishTree,

I own a Marantz AV8003 but have it partnered with a NAD M25 7-channel Power Amplifier. I did not purchase an MM8003 because it did not impress me very much during an audition, plus, I lifted one up and it wasn't hefty for an 8-channel Class A/B Power Amplifier, suggesting less than spectacular power supplies.

I am extremely happy with my NAD M25, although I shall be sure to check out the MM7055 to see if it's got genuinely massive power supplies as claimed by Marantz.

Dan.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
dantan:plus, I lifted one up and it wasn't hefty for an 8-channel Class A/B Power Amplifier, suggesting less than spectacular power supplies.

Always the way to judge the quality of a product, I say...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
WishTree:
And yes.. it is really odd.. I thought the internet forums will be buzzing with excitement when the Marantz announced their new line (well not upto the buzz level of iPhone 4;) ) but surprisingly, extremely quite!

We've been getting superb traffic on the Marantz news/blog we posted - so thanks to our rivals who didn't bother
emotion-5.gif

(And thanks to Andrew for picture-postage
emotion-21.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts