Marantz MCR610 connection issues

Jon78

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
My MCR610 seems to have given up talking to my Skyhub and I'm at a loss of what to do.

I have the Marantz wired into the hub together with a WDMyCloud and a Panasonic Bluray player. The NAS/Blu-ray work fine and I can view pictures and play music from the NAS to the TV. I can also stream photos/music to my phone and tablet.

What I cannot do is use the Marantz 'Music Server' input. I can select a track from the menu but all I get is 10seconds (every time) before it reverts back to 'Music Server loading....' for ~30 seconds then starting the track from the beginning (10secs). The Marantz app and 'Throw' from the walkman app do the same thing

The connection appears fine as Internet radio and airpl​ay are not affected.

I have, in the last couple of weeks, changed from BT HomeHub3 to the Sky hub but I have tried the HH again today without success. Also tried WIFIing everything, reset/rebooted/initialized all the offending hardware and replaced cables... Still no luck.

Any suggestions or advice would be grateful.

RogerJP

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Like Jon78 I have exactly the same issue with my one month old Maramtz MCR610. When connecting to my Synology DS214. It will play for exactly 10 seconds and then loses the network connection. The unit then spends around 30 seconds reconnecting before playing for 10 seconds again. Connection is via a wired network but I have also tried wireless with the same result. I have reset the MCR610, router and DS214 but this has not solved the problem. Until yesterday everything worked fine. Could this be the result of a firmware update ? Looking at the Marantz web site it seems as if the most recent unpdate for the MCR619 was in June - I seem to remember when I first plugged it in after purchase in July it did an update.

Internet radio works fine as does the Stream Magic 6 over the same network.

Any ideas ?

Kevin25

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
... and the same problem with my new Marantz Melody M-CR610. This time with a WDMyCloud and a BT Infinity Hub. M-CR finds the server and the folders and track I want, then 10 seconds (always) after it starts to play - "Connection Lost" followed by "Music Server loading" and repeat ...

I have placed a message with the Marantz Customer Service and will let you know what they suggest.

junkt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Same thing with my 610 - flawless before the weekend but now only plays 5s of any file on my Synology 214. Everything else works fine & various other kit can access the NAS

Looks like its related to an update - http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/3-x-marantz-m-cr610-delevoped-same-fault-in-past-24-hours#comment-917958

atommo

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue as has been described above....10 seconds of music from whatever server before the unit says 'No Network Connection'. I am sure that this is a Marantz problem as I have tried the unit in my parents house with exactly the same results. I have tried Win 7, 8.1, 10 and Android App with exactly the same results...9-10 seconds of music followed by a 'reset' of the unit. I have factory defaulted the system with no affect on the problem.

This was not an issue till a 'recent', (I seem to recall the system updating in the last week or so?), software update where I reckon Marantz have broken something or other?

I will contact my dealer tomorrow and ask to see if he has heard of something being broken as I think this is a software issue, (the 'internet radio' works fine...just the streaming from a server is broken), as I dont really want to have to take it back to him to be 'fixed'.

s4tch

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
very same issue is present here, too: an mcr610 i bought a couple of weeks ago worked perfectly so far, and today it started to drop connection after 10 seconds. let's hope marantz come up with a fix very quickly.

btw all playback sources work fine (fm radio, internet radio, usb, cd), except dlna, either i try to connect to my nas running plex, or to my phone using bubbleupnp.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
clearly all these problems are related...i wonder if WHF could seek a statement from D&M; this bears all the hallmarks of a bugged generic software update.

s4tch

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
so guys, try to do the following: unplug the internet/wan cable from your router, and try to play some tunes via dlna. it works for me, i just played some victor wooten tunes from the nas without any issues, and also two complete songs from my phone via bubbleupnp. i replugged the cable to the router, and the next song stopped playing after 10 seconds. so it's most probably a server related issue.

eric1403

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here, only in my case it is both my NA11-S1 and M-CR510 that play 10 seconds and then reset, only to repeat the same cycle.

Stu4rt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Same problem with my M-CR610 tonight - plays first 10 seconds of a track from my NAS and then hangs with 'Music Server Loading...' message. Has been working fine for months and nothing has changed on either my NAS or network. In fact the NAS is streaming fine to other devices. This has to be some kind of firmware screw-up by Marantz. There's too many people having exactly the same issue for this not to be a Marantz screw-up. Software isn't exactly their strong point - the Marantz remote app is a case in point. Still turning my streamer into a paperweight just ain't on!

junkt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Marantz are aware & looking into it-

http://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3986/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ0MDA2MDE3OS9zaWQvWFdSNWtudW0%3D

s4tch

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I think the issue is not related to a recent firmware update. the latest 610 firmware dates back to June, and all devices - not only 610s but other models - suddenly started the malfunction at the same time. also, as i referred earlier, if you block the players internet connection, all works just fine. i strongly believe it is a server related issue that marantz should solve without updating the firmware of all affected devices.

Stu4rt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Just tried isolating my 610 from the internet and you're right s4tch it seems to play fine then. Question is why does it need to communicate with the internet to play files from my NAS on a local area network. The fact that it works without being connected to the internet proves it doesn't need to be so Marantz should provide an explaination of this dependancy. So yes, it's looking like this isn't an update to the firmware, rather dodgy firmware to start with and someone somewhere has changed something on the back-end that is causing this.

s4tch

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
"Question is why does it need to communicate with the internet to play files from my NAS on a local area network."

exactly. anyway, i got an answer from marantz's customer support, they are indeed working on a solution. i'd still be curious to see what kind of communication goes between a marantz network player and the marantz servers.

just on a sidenote: http://scriptkiller.de/en/a61/computer_electronics/hacking_the_marantz_m-cr610_/

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
This is also being discussed on another thread entitled '3 x Marantz M-CR610 delevoped same fault in past 24 hours'

Sorry but for some reason I'm currently unable to paste the URL.

Kevin25

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I have tried again to see if the 610 is playing music from my WDMyCloud correctly and, lo and behold, it seems to be functioning without a hitch (so far). Any and all tracks stored on the server are playing all the way through and it is ten progressing onto the next track. Now I just need to set up a decent aerial for the DAB.

Perhaps it was just something about the 18th of August?

Stu4rt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Marantz have made a statement saying the problem is officially resolved. More details are on the other thread referenced earlier. Although looking at the additional information it does look like a more robust solution is yet to follow at some point in the future. At least for now my player is working again.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Here's what I posted on the other thread about this now that the issue is resolved:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/3-x-marantz-m-cr610-delevoped-same-fault-in-past-24-hours

I've received a bit more feedback on this issue from our Marantz UK contact:

http://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3986

"For a little more background, I spoke to D&M Europe and UK Product Support. As I understand it, the problem related to the server handling the Last FM Audioscrobbler service. Even though the subscription service for Last FM was stopped on the relevant D&M products (Marantz Melody Media M-CR610, original Denon Ceol RCD-N8, Piccolo etc) around two years ago, the software to access Last FM is still installed on the products (there is a long-term plan to delete it model-by-model by firmware updates - details and dates are TBC). Whereas these models had Last FM built-in, the new models do not. Of course, users can still access Last FM services from their mobile devices. As you know, the same models also had Spotify built-in whereas the new models use Spotify Connect instead."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts