MARANTZ MCR603

A

Anonymous

To upgrade to Monitor audio BX1 is £149 more, better speakers but worth the extra over the Missons?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard: it's worth considering some even better speakers to get the best out of the Marantz.

Andrew, in your opinion would the Dynaudio DM 2/6 (WHF 2010 awards) speakers be overkill for the Marantz M-CR603? Would its 60W be sufficient to drive the 2/6s, and might their lowish impedence present a problem? Do you think those EB1s might work better, assuming one can get hold of a pair?

Alternatively, could the Monitor Audio RX1 provide a compromise solution between the 2/6 and the MA BX2? Or is it not worth going that far up the speaker ladder to partner a one-box system like the Marantz?

I'd like to go for something more insightful than, say, the MA BX1 referred to above, which may be a suitable partner for cheaper units like Denon's D-M 38.

The Marantz seems to be a versatile piece of kit, which I hope to use in a second room (4m x 6m), mostly listening to classical music.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Haven't tried the M-CR603 with the Dynaudios, so really unable to comment, but did have fun running the system into PMC GB1s when writing a forthcoming Gramophone review.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, looking forward to the forthcoming review as I'm a Gramophone subscriber. It would be interesting to know how the CR 603 stacks up to the new Denon CEOL (looks a bit plasticy), but I guess I'll have to wait for the reviews to emerge.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've been looking for this kind of device for quite some time. I've looked through the User Guide & it is not clear to me whether any additional software needs to be running on the PC for the MCR603 to access files stored in a shared folder. All my music is stored as FLAC, and I would rather not require a user to be logged in and software running (like the Squeezebox). Does anyone know ?

Thanks.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
cuninghamd:

Hi,

I've been looking for this kind of device for quite some time. I've looked through the User Guide & it is not clear to me whether any additional software needs to be running on the PC for the MCR603 to access files stored in a shared folder. All my music is stored as FLAC, and I would rather not require a user to be logged in and software running (like the Squeezebox). Does anyone know ?

Thanks.
We run twonky on our NAS and that works fine with the Marantz NA7004 and SR7005 so I see no reason for it not to work on the 603. It is an amazing little box for the money , Napster and Last.FM are superb additions and it sounds good too.

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre:cuninghamd:

Hi,

Thanks.

We run twonky on our NAS and that works fine with the Marantz NA7004 and SR7005 so I see no reason for it not to work on the 603. It is an amazing little box for the money , Napster and Last.FM are superb additions and it sounds good too.

Thanks for the advice I'll take a look -

Cheers

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello Andrew, I wanna ask you what do you think about this set up ?
MARANTZ MCR603 - CAMBRIDGE AUDIO Minix 212 (is WHF team planning any proper review of Minx?) or B&W 601 s3 ?

Thank You

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Haven't tried the M-CR603 with the Dynaudios, so really unable to comment, but did have fun running the system into PMC GB1s when writing a forthcoming Gramophone review.

Have I missed that issue Andrew? I'd like to read that review.

I spotted an optical digital input on the back of the MCR603 (lacking on the Teac CR-H500DNT) and also two Aux RCA inputs. (Teac only has one aux line level RCA input and one just for turntables.)

This means - out of the Teac and the Marantz - the MCR603 is the 'front runner' due to having more inputs (ethernet, optical and RCA) for the new telly and BD recorder when I come to change/upgrade/downgrade/downsize my system.

I also have more confidence the Marantz will drive my MS20i Pearl Edition speakers (until such time as I can find a capable replacement pair that will live happily in bookshelves).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Have I missed that issue Andrew? I'd like to read that review.

It was in the February issue, which may still just be on sale. With the long lead-times on Gramophone reviews, I tend to lose track.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I give up. Unable to find Feb issue anywhere in town last week. (Too late.) Logged into Gramophone magazine website but no mention of review. They still show the Feb issue as 'current' and the newest archived issue is Dec 2010.

Andrew, can you tell me if your review was favourable? Did you try it out with any 'humbler' speakers than the GB1s?

Were there any downsides or failings? (Bits that didn't work or whatever?)

As well as the tuner and DAC functions, I will be using the CD player on the M-CR603 fairly regularly. Was that ok?

Thanks.

michael hoy

chebby:
I give up. Unable to find Feb issue anywhere in town last week. (Too late.) Logged into Gramophone magazine website but no mention of review. They still show the Feb issue as 'current' and the newest archived issue is Dec 2010.

Andrew, can you tell me if your review was favourable? Did you try it out with any 'humbler' speakers than the GB1s?

Were there any downsides or failings? (Bits that didn't work or whatever?)

As well as the tuner and DAC functions, I will be using the CD player on the M-CR603 fairly regularly. Was that ok?

Thanks.

Same here Chebby, tried all over and checked the web site just as you did.

Would be interested to know as well Andrew.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As with delayed reviews appearing on this website, so archived issues on the Gramophone website are also delayed, not just to avoid affecting sales of the print magazine, but also because some parts of the world receive the magazine later than here in the UK and the US.

Yes, the Marantz was tried with other speakers; no, there are no downsides apart from the lack of wireless networking, if that's important to you.

michael hoy

Andrew Everard:
As with delayed reviews appearing on this website, so archived issues on the Gramophone website are also delayed, not just to avoid affecting sales of the print magazine, but also because some parts of the world receive the magazine later than here in the UK and the US.

Yes, the Marantz was tried with other speakers; no, there are no downsides apart from the lack of wireless networking, if that's important to you.

Thanks Andrew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts