MARANTZ MCR603 WITCH SPEAKERS. ROTH AUDIO OLI1 OR Q ACOUSTICS 2010

jd1958dog

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi experts.

I have just bought a marants mcr603 and need some advice on the right speakers for it. I Have narrowed it down to two ROTH AUDIO OLI1 or Q ACOUSTICS 2010 becouse of size, reviews and price, but am open to suggestions. The speakers will be in the kitchen, on top of the kitchen units very near to the ceiling and wall.The kitchen is of medium size. Your help would very much appreciated thanks. Ps i like a lot of bass but not boomy. Type of music i play is.House, trance, hard dance and old school dance. ( WE LOVE IBIZA
smiley-smile.gif
) Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jd1958. The Marantz is a very good unit so I hope you enjoy it very much. You can pair the Marantz with higher end equipment, but if your looking at the likes of the Roth and the Q acoustics then both are very good budget speakers.

Looking at where you plan to have the speakers, near the ceiling next to the wall, I would suggest the Roth's out of the two. They work particularly well in this position, they are a lovely clear speaker but note they are not the last word in Bass. If it's more bass you want and you still place the speakers in the proposed position then look at another speaker with affront firing bass port. The Warfedale Diamond 9.1 can be had for a bargain £99 and would give you that extra bump and grind for the type of music you listen to.

Good luck and enjoy e Marantz

jd1958dog

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Limey.

Just a quick question about the Warfedale Diamond 9.1. Would i be able to put them on there side as thay are to tall. I only have a 24cm space between kitchen unit and ceiling and the Warfedales are 30cm. Or would this make a big differents to the sound quality of the Warfedales?, Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I have used speakers on their sides in similar positions to where you want to put yours with no problem. As they are up high it would make minimal difference. Another option since you have the Marantz is at some point to add a subwoofer. This may not be practical in your situation, but it is an option.

If you do put them on their side then use plenty of Blu tac under each speaker.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately with that set-up/layout of a system I really do think you'll suffer from bass-boom just due to the way the speakers are positioned

IMO I wouldnt spend massive amounts as you'll not get the best out of the speakers. Personally I'd go down the 2nd hand route and look at either the Monitor Audio BR2's or the B&W 601 S3's

Both forward firing speakers and will be driven well by the Marantz

If you don't want to go down the 2nd hand route then maybe take a look at the Wharfedale 9.1s or the Tannoy Mercury V1's or even possibly the Mission MX1's

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
No criticism intended but may I ask why you bought the Marantz if, as appears, you have nowhere to locate the speakers?

Even if you had the space on the top of the cabinets, I can only imagine that no matter what speakers you bought they are going to sound dreadful up there. Mr E rates the Marantz very highly indeed, and in his opinion it's well capable of driving speakers up to £1,000. To me that's quite a scary thought for a micro that can be picked up for not much more than £400!

The reason I asked if wall mounting is a possibility is that I would have suggested having a listen to a pair of Dali Lektor 1's for your liking of dance/electronic. They have their own internal mount which requires just a single screw/rawlplug, and with the "bumper" attached to the rear they reach out 203mm, with their "face" 260mm high and 146mm wide (IMO they sound far better wall mounted in any case).

I unboxed mine last week for a change from a pair of Focals, and although you're never going to get earth shattering bass from any speaker this size (do you need that in your kitchen?) they really DO work with electronic music IMO. Although I've not heard the M-CR603, through my Marantz set-up they give a totally solid, tight punch and never miss a beat. Couldn't say quite the same for rock but that's not what you're looking for, and they are exceptional with vocals.

Just my tuppence worth, that's all.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
If you bring the speakers right to the front edge of the units, on their sides and elevated at the back to angle the speakers down, they should sound fine.

At least they'll sound as good as they can be given the circumstances. Blu tack in the corners to keep them fixed is a must.

The second hand market would be my suggestion too and I'd second the 601's particularly as I have only recently sold my 602's. V.nice.

jd1958dog

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Limey.

Thanks for getting back to me. As you say sub would not be practical. Thanks for blu tac advice. So would you say Q ACOUSTICS 2010 are a no go then Limey?. I no that thay dont like their backs flat to the wall so how far from the wall would thay need to be? or would thay be to near to the ceiling? with only 10ml to spare .

jd1958dog

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sizzers.

In answer to question i bought the Marantz for streaming - internet radio and Apple airplay. We still had a wall in the kitchen when i bought the Marantz at the end of may , i had some denon speakers wall mounted on it, thay came with the Denon D-M38DAB system my wife bought me for 50th brithday last year. but we have had a new kitchen fitted and to make the kitchen bigger the wall had to go,so the wife said. So we came to an arrangement she gets bigger kitchen and i get the Marantz. But it did not go to plan.There was going to be an arch were the wall had been.But no arch hence no were to wall mount speakers. I hope that answer your question Sizzers. Ps. I have been informed to night by a friend of my son who is a sound engineer that fits speakers in night clubs, pubs and theatres, that with the right spearkers and right positioning on the top of the kitchen unit i should be able to minimize if not get rid of bass-boom all together and thay sould sound fine he said.

jd1958dog

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for advice Hifilover1979 appreciated. I have been informed to night by a friend of my son who is a sound engineer that fits speakers in night clubs, pubs and theatres, that with the right spearkers and right positioning on top of the kitchen unit i should be able to minimize if not get rid of bass- boom all together and thay sould sound fine he said.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Gawd, what a bummer.

Well if wall mounting really is a no no I do hope you can get it sorted. Best of luck with it anyway.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Any prospect of mounting them on another wall, high up but angled downwards?

Not so much through personal experience (pubs excepted, of course!) but they do seem to work for some people. Guess you may have thought of that already but just a thought.

jd1958dog

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks sizzers.

I have been advised to have look at in ceiling speakers by B&W-kef and other speaker companys that do them, and contact insall companys to see if they can recommend some in ceiling speakers that could do the job or give me some idea of which way would be best. well we shall see.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts