Marantz MCR603 or CD/PM6004 combo

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Forgetting the radio capabilities, is the CD/PM6004 combo substantially better than the MCR603 sonically? Would either setup up work with my Ruark Talisman II's or would speakers with more weight provide better synergy over a range of music?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
For what it's worth I replaced my CD6003/PM6003 with the 603 yesterday and impressions so far are very, very good indeed. After around 5-hours of listening so far in some respects it seems pretty much on a par but it's far too early for me to make a definitive judgement. That will have to wait until the weekend when the neighbours are out!, and if I can be bothered I might even unpack my Focal's to give them a whirl with it too. What I will say is that it is very musical (just like the 6003) and probably does a better job of poor recordings too.I've not heard the 6004 combo but by all accounts it's a very good replacement indeed for the 6003 - particularly the amp - so most definitely worth a listen. The reason I now have the 603 is that I really needed to downsize my bedroom set-up otherwise I wouldn't have gone down this route to be honest, although all the "extras" are more than welcome. If you only want a CD set-up then I would be inclined to look at seperates rather than the 603 IMO, although I can't comment how they might work with your speakers. Even though I've not heard the 6004's I would drag them along for a demo. Final thought on the 603, though....it seems FUN!!!

For what it's worth I replaced my CD6003/PM6003 with the 603 yesterday and impressions so far are very, very good indeed. After around 5-hours of listening so far in some respects it seems pretty much on a par but it's far too early for me to make a definitive judgement. That will have to wait until the weekend when the neighbours are out!, and if I can be bothered I might even unpack my Focal's to give them a whirl with it too. What I will say is that it is very musical (just like the 6003) and probably does a better job of poor recordings too.

I've not heard the 6004 combo but by all accounts it's a very good replacement indeed for the 6003 - particularly the amp - so most definitely worth a listen. The reason I now have the 603 is that I really needed to downsize my bedroom set-up otherwise I wouldn't have gone down this route to be honest, although all the "extras" are more than welcome. If you ONLY want a CD set-up then I would be inclined to look at seperates rather than the 603 IMO, although I can't comment how they might work with your speakers. Even though I've not heard the 6004's I would drag them along for a demo. Final thought on the 603, though?....it seems FUN!!!

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
That's all that really matters when it boils down to it isn't it, whether you enjoy listening to it and get something from it. I've had setups that sounded technically great with some recordings and then shocking with say...Dire Straits Money For Nothing. That song can sound awesome on even the most basic kit so to not enjoy it completely defeats the purpose.

I don't really listen to the radio but perhaps if I had the 603 I'd actually do so more with the wealth of options available. I really just want, like you say something engaging and fun, but with enough quality to wow me with things like Radiohead's OK Computer. I've currently got Ruark Talisman II speakers and a Marantz 63 KI (which needs a new transport as it's noisy), but if one of these new setups would be as good then I'd plump for that to avoid the hassle of old kit

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts